Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Can't find the tweet so probably fake.

I've got it in my feed (and still have it in my feed), so "probably not fake". They could get lost at £70.

I am bemused by the low level of engagement.

 

 

PNG image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s more likely to be some rushed graphic designer reusing the graphic from one of the PS5 games in Days of Play than some nefarious, baffling scheme to jack up the price while also discounting it at the original price but also not doing anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think it’s more likely to be some rushed graphic designer reusing the graphic from one of the PS5 games in Days of Play than some nefarious, baffling scheme to jack up the price while also discounting it at the original price but also not doing anything.

Is that the dollar price with a pound sign in front and no conversion?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think it’s more likely to be some rushed graphic designer reusing the graphic from one of the PS5 games in Days of Play than some nefarious, baffling scheme to jack up the price while also discounting it at the original price but also not doing anything.

 

Probably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

 

This can and will happen.

Yeah I got a bonus once where the value was in Canadian dollars but no conversion was applied and they just added a pound sign in front :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Hylian said:

Presumably if I get this I can still use the code in 6 months or so when mine runs out? 

They stack, so you just register them to your account. I'm booked up on PS+ until 2023 or something from the discounted codes I bought last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just topped up with the discounted 12 months sub…

 

Spoiler

… for PS Now. 
 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Damn you, similar Days of Play icons!

 

On the “plus” side, Now seems rather cheap, might as well browse what it entails these days… But goddamn my scatterbrain.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I just topped up with the discounted 12 months sub…

 

  Hide contents

… for PS Now. 
 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Damn you, similar Days of Play icons!

 

On the “plus” side, Now seems rather cheap, might as well browse what it entails these days… But goddamn my scatterbrain.

 

 

Whoops! I added 12 months to my PS Plus, and somehow bought XBL Gold the same evening - expensive night (although it still cost less than 2 PS5 titles). 🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I just topped up with the discounted 12 months sub…

 

  Hide contents

… for PS Now. 
 

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Damn you, similar Days of Play icons!

 

On the “plus” side, Now seems rather cheap, might as well browse what it entails these days… But goddamn my scatterbrain.

 

You won't be disappointed. PSNow is pretty good nowadays.

 

Of course, it's not what it could be (I want a streaming service for all PS1, 2 and 3 games) but it's got some really good stuff on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’d be a really weird thing to try and get an exclusivity license around anyway. It’s not something many people would give as their reason for picking up an Xbox over a PS5.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Nobody should add Dolby Vision to their games, it’s meant to solve a problem that only exists for static content.

I thought DV allowed you to have dynamic HDR ranges that could change depending on the scene, which I would have thought might well be useful for games as you transition between light and dark areas etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Quexex said:

I thought DV allowed you to have dynamic HDR ranges that could change depending on the scene, which I would have thought might well be useful for games as you transition between light and dark areas etc.


So, the basic problem with HDR is that no TV that exists can actually show the full HDR dynamic range. But for static content like movies you’re obviously stuck with the HDR file you’ve got, and somehow you have to display that on a monitor that doesn’t have the capability.
 

The simplest solution is to cram down (tone map) the entire movie in to the range the TV supports, on the basis of a measurement of the brightest point in the entire movie. This is static HDR metadata. Unfortunately it means that even a scene that is practically pitch black and fits in the TV’s range will be crammed down by the same amount and be over-darkened.

 

A better solution is to tone map each scene or shot down into the TV’s range based on the brightest point in that scene. This is dynamic HDR metadata like Dolby Vision, or the dynamic tone mapping option in the set itself. Everything gets crunched just enough to be displayed and no more.

 

For games, you can simply tone-map the scene to fit in the TV’s dynamic range when you render it. And because not all HDR TVs support Dolby Vision, every HDR game already does this.*
 

That’s actually what HDR Rendering has done since the mid-2000s: the game has a higher internal dynamic range than an SDR TV supports, and you map it down to the 100 or 200 nits of a standard monitor. HDR TVs just give the developer a wider dynamic range to render out to, of 500-1000 nits. (Setting that number is what calibration screens and HGIG modes do.)

 

You can use Dolby Vision in games, but it basically means deferring the tone mapping step to the TV’s built in computer which is slow and stupid, instead of just doing it in the console.
 

*Not always very well, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually, lingering on that last added parenthetical, it may well be that getting your TV to do it will be better than many developers’ implementations of tone mapping…

 

Edit - Also sorry if that was explaining something you already know, I tend to go back to first principles when something’s this complicated to make sure I’m making sense, and hopefully it makes it more obvious if I’ve missed something obvious. (Not just to you but to anyone else in this thread.) I guess the short answer is “yes, but the game should be doing that”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, footle said:

I've got it in my feed (and still have it in my feed), so "probably not fake". They could get lost at £70.

I am bemused by the low level of engagement.

 

 

PNG image.png

My mate showed me that. They would have to do something big to justify that price.

For the love of god at least let me upload all my cloud saves without constantly having to delete saves I do actually want to keep.

 

I bought another 12 months for just 32 quid.

£70 would have to include psnow for me but that’s only available in a handful of countries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:


So, the basic problem with HDR is that no TV that exists can actually show the full HDR dynamic range. But for static content like movies you’re obviously stuck with the HDR file you’ve got, and somehow you have to display that on a monitor that doesn’t have the capability.
 

The simplest solution is to cram down (tone map) the entire movie in to the range the TV supports, on the basis of a measurement of the brightest point in the entire movie. This is static HDR metadata. Unfortunately it means that even a scene that is practically pitch black and fits in the TV’s range will be crammed down by the same amount and be over-darkened.

 

A better solution is to tone map each scene or shot down into the TV’s range based on the brightest point in that scene. This is dynamic HDR metadata like Dolby Vision, or the dynamic tone mapping option in the set itself. Everything gets crunched just enough to be displayed and no more.

 

For games, you can simply tone-map the scene to fit in the TV’s dynamic range when you render it. And because not all HDR TVs support Dolby Vision, every HDR game already does this.*
 

That’s actually what HDR Rendering has done since the mid-2000s: the game has a higher internal dynamic range than an SDR TV supports, and you map it down to the 100 or 200 nits of a standard monitor. HDR TVs just give the developer a wider dynamic range to render out to, of 500-1000 nits. (Setting that number is what calibration screens and HGIG modes do.)

 

You can use Dolby Vision in games, but it basically means deferring the tone mapping step to the TV’s built in computer which is slow and stupid, instead of just doing it in the console.
 

*Not always very well, though.

I thought Dolby Vision was an additional HDR “standard”, which has capacity for 12-bit vs HDR10’s 10-bit colour depth on top of all that metadata malarkey? So if your TV has the required additional contrast range and brightness, supported software could deliver a broader image?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The next Gran Turismo and God of War have both been confirmed to be cross gen games. 

 

Quote

Where it makes sense to develop a title for both PS4 and PS5 — for Horizon Forbidden West, the next God of War, GT7 — we’ll continue looking at that. And if PS4 owners want to play that game, then they can. If they want to go on and play the PS5 version, that game will be there for them.

 

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/06/02/hermen-hulst-qa-whats-next-for-playstation-studios/#sf246401757

 

God of War is delayed to 2022 as well. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ll be seeing more cross-gen games the longer the console shortage continues I imagine. These kind of big budget games need way bigger user-bases to be profitable.

 

Bit of a shame personally but then I’m lucky to have a PS5 I guess.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Actually, lingering on that last added parenthetical, it may well be that getting your TV to do it will be better than many developers’ implementations of tone mapping…

 

Edit - Also sorry if that was explaining something you already know, I tend to go back to first principles when something’s this complicated to make sure I’m making sense, and hopefully it makes it more obvious if I’ve missed something obvious. (Not just to you but to anyone else in this thread.) I guess the short answer is “yes, but the game should be doing that”.

Don't be sorry I appreciate the detailed description, I now feel more informed on the matter. For me personally I wanted DV added for UHD disc playback as games seem to be fine as they are (for the reasons you have stated). However I seem to recall complaining about this before to be told I would have to be watching a UHD disc with and without DV on the same display to notice any kind of perceivable difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But disappointed that GT7 is cross-gen, I’d liked to have seen that really push the PS5 and can’t help feel it will be a bit compromised now. Good news for those on PS4 and unable to get a PS5 though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do cross-gen games actually achieve good sales on the older system? All the sales data that’s come out for Spiderman Miles Morales points to massive weighting towards PS5 purchases over PS4 despite a much smaller player base. 
 

And I don’t know the numbers but I never got the impression that the PS360 versions of, say, Destiny or Metal Gear Solid 5 pulled up any trees commercially.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Do cross-gen games actually achieve good sales on the older system? All the sales data that’s come out for Spiderman Miles Morales points to massive weighting towards PS5 purchases over PS4 despite a much smaller player base. 
 

And I don’t know the numbers but I never got the impression that the PS360 versions of, say, Destiny or Metal Gear Solid 5 pulled up any trees commercially.

Well why do it then?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.