PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

19 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

Good idea, was thinking about fixing it myself like I did the ps4 pad but there are literally no screws on the dualsense!

I'll send it off in a week after my new black pad arrives 👍

By “sort it” he means they willjust give you a new one. I wonder what’s happening to all the broken ones

41 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

By “sort it” he means they willjust give you a new one. I wonder what’s happening to all the broken ones

It's like that one batch of cornflakes that got burnt in 1962 - they'll put one drifty pad in every batch of new PS5s for the next 10 years...

Ooooh, the new update now allows you to check the status of your savedata sync with the PSPlus without having to go into your library. Returnal got traded in, I love it but it's not a game you can play for two hours a week and feel like you are progressing. Got Ratchet to fill the WOW new console power vibe for now. Whilst I do think £70 per game is too much, at least they hold their trade in value, got 47 for Returnal and 45!!! For Ring Fit (a full tenner more than CEX) I even managed to get £8 For a boxed copy of Squadrons as it's on PSPlus now anyway +10% bonus cause they have a deal on. So no money left my account for Ratchet and I have £40 towards my next game purchase.

2 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Started getting stick drift in my PS5 pad, the left stick was moving the character when I wasn't pressing anything.

Spoke to Amazon customer services and they've offered me a "partial refund" of £134.99.

Thanks Jeff!

Amazon gave me 10% or so partial when my controller failed. You did good out of that!

Sent the controller to SONY and they replaced it.

Amazon actually told me SONY wouldn't replace it, but they did so without question. ( R2 button broke )

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

Where did you trade in?

Game! Yeah Game gave me better trade in value than CEX - was prepared to force them to price match but they gave me more trade in value for all 3 games than CEX would have - and I got a new game which I wouldn't have got from CEX in fact I probably wouldn't have been able to get Ratchet at all. Not to mention it was a cheeky pre morning meeting drive to get it and CEX wouldn't have been open at 9...

8 hours ago, Majora said:

I've mentioned this before but I find the river sound they've chosen really confusing. None of them sound better to me, just different. For each setting I hear completely different elements and I'm not really sure which is meant to be 'right'. I know it says it should be at ear level but none of them feel much different in terms of height.

For calibration I would have done something like a series of distinct sounds at different height levels. A plane flying overhead, a noise below you, something that's meant to be at ear level etc. I find the river thing just completely indistinct. 

Glad I'm not the only one.

Does include the amusing statement from EG that:

Despite this, Sony's support for its older games on PS5 differs to the strategy employed by console rivals Microsoft and Nintendo. Xbox Series X and S run games from all prior Xbox generations, whereas the PS5 only supports PS4 games natively, leaving paid subscription service PlayStation Now to run some PS2 and PS3 games.

Which seems to be written in such a way as to suggest that Nintendo are opting for the same strategy as Microsoft, rather than the actual "old games? Fuck you" approach that they've taken.

I've noticed that how I sort my games on the PS5 and external drive stays how I set it after the last update (alphabetically BTW)

Previously it reset to most recently installed every time I put the console into rest mode or powered it off completely.

Also, "Installed" is now the first tab followed by "My Collection" which is better for me.

Jim Ryan has given another interview, this time to Axios. Odd format for an interview and no real bomb shells, although the news that Sony are planning at least ten films and series as well as a fully fledged Mobile division, all designed to leverage their popular IP is of particular note.

I guess when you think about it, you can see that just as MS is leveraging its position as a tech company, Sony is leveraging its position as an entertainment company to expand their brand. Be interesting to see how both companies strategies play out:

https://www.axios.com/ps5-jim-ryan-interview-mobile-cyberpunk-sony-e2ba0ddb-17b6-4882-bb9e-2908c7c4f71d.html

16 hours ago, Wiper said:

Does include the amusing statement from EG that:

Which seems to be written in such a way as to suggest that Nintendo are opting for the same strategy as Microsoft, rather than the actual "old games? Fuck you" approach that they've taken.

To be entirely fair, the Xbox Series runs so few 360 and especially OG Xbox games I'd guess that with Now the PS5 actually allows you to play about as many of the corresponding generations even if it does it in a disappointing laggy way.

MS pulled a neat trick with the phrasing "Games from all generations".

Maybe proportionally across the entire library, but I looked at my 360 games list the other day and maybe 5% of the 360 games I’d actually purchased (not Games of Old) weren’t compatible with Xbox Series. They’ve targeted it well.

So I've been playing Ratchet and Clank, initially there was a tinge of regret trading in Returnal for it. Then after basking in the glory of Quality mode I switched to RT60. I'll never be able to play Ratchet and Clank games at 30fps ever again. The combat is so much more satisfying at 60fps (I know I'm preaching to the converted here). I'm also enjoying the more casual structure where I can have a quick session and actually feel like I'm progressing. Great game, highly recommended :)

I really doubt Abandoned is a Silent Hill title, although it is a real PS5 game. I expect the Twitter was set up by one of the internet dorks who were convinced the studio is secretly run by Hideo Kojima.

It looks very pretty and all (I'm not the kind of guy that gets the microscope out from one video to the next, so I can't comment on any changes there) but I'm not sure it stands out as something I'm excited to play at all. It seems very by the numbers. I watched a bit of a video with the two guys where they've introduced themselves as experienced video and visual artists that love playing games, and they seem to have made sort of the game that stereotypically you'd expect from that - one that cargo cultishly copies everything that games like this do. Here's a cliff face with little yellow handhold. Here's a rudimentary environmental puzzle. etc.

Sony event in a few weeks time, according to whispers. Could be true, cause we know from Keigley that we'll get a bigger look at Death Stranding Director's Cut soon, as well as a new look at Final Fantasy VXI.

10 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Hmm I wonder if that will be paired with a PS5 Pro...

Not after a year, I'd have thought. What would it do? Maybe a slightly slimmer one that only does the same stuff, but not a Pro.