PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

On 16/07/2021 at 19:37, Jonny5 said:

What are they suggesting? That PlayStation games will be on Netflix? 

Netflix doing games has been announced hasn’t it? Isn’t this them just supporting the controllers that people have in their homes?

Netflix have been doing games for years.

I had an education on updating PS4 games this morning, needed to free up 130GB on the internal drive to update GT Sport - absolute insanity! 

By the time I'd cleaned up enough space and started the update I'd lost interest in playing. 

Do PS5 game updates work the same way? 

20 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Weird, my gt sport update (to v1.66) yesterday was 2.3GB on ps5

Generally it’s the copy part that needs the space, did you already have 130GB free?

49 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Generally it’s the copy part that needs the space, did you already have 130GB free?

probably

saying that, it’s installed on the external which is 4tb and has 500gb free

(the ps5 drive is 667gb with 400gb free…)

The upgrade is that it now has a thumbscrew rather than an ordinary screw in the base and it is a quarter kilo lighter. (Maybe they decided they could lose some of the heat sink after measuring real world thermal profile?)

I find it a little strange that no compatible internal NVMe SSD for the PS5 have been announced yet. What with the limited space and all the great big AAA titles on offer now. Is it still the whole pandemic situation that has delayed production due to chip scarcity or have no SSD's that meet the requirements come to market yet?

I imagine there are companies either waiting for Sony to start certification, or who have certification and are waiting for Sony to announce and release the relevant OS update.

27 minutes ago, krenzler said:

I find it a little strange that no compatible internal NVMe SSD for the PS5 have been announced yet. What with the limited space and all the great big AAA titles on offer now. Is it still the whole pandemic situation that has delayed production due to chip scarcity or have no SSD's that meet the requirements come to market yet?

it’s probably a combination of things but as an aside  . I have never seen anything like it in the supply chain . And not just for ICs,  even things like resistors have ridiculous lead times in some cases. The  entire electronics market is fucked at the moment . I am seeing lead times into 2023 for some devices . But then suppliers will satisfy their biggest customers first, so if you are spending billions per annum you probably jump the queue a bit .

3 hours ago, krenzler said:

It is taking a long time. I hope there isn't an issue with heat in the somewhat isolated space for the expansion drive. 

I wondered about that too. There doesn’t seem to be much room for a heatsink? Although NVMe’s supposedly work best at somewhat elevated temps. 

But I can’t imagine Sony not accounting for these things. 

5 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

As someone whose trying to get a Series X right now, sadly for me getting a PS5 is far easier at the moment.

It is strange. I can’t verify these figures as they were just pulled off a random website but…

Here’s how console sales fared for the week of June 5, 2021:

Switch – 392,790 (86,716,650 lifetime sales)

PlayStation 5 – 199,629 (9,000,103 lifetime sales)

Xbox Series X|S – 112,864 (5,330,164 lifetime sales)

PlayStation 4 – 29,667 (115,676,809 lifetime sales)

Xbox One – 13,767 (50,139,650 lifetime sales)

3DS – 508 (75,935,100 lifetime sales)

Does that mean that NOW is the time to get: Hitman 3: Standard Edition (OR Deluxe Edition) (PS4/PS5) + Hitman 3 Access Pass: Hitman 1: GOTY Edition (PS4/PS5) + Hitman 3 Access Pass: Hitman 2: Standard Edition (PS4/PS5) + Hitman 3 Access Pass: Hitman 2: Expansion Pass (PS4/PS5)?

4 minutes ago, krenzler said:

On a serious note: Can Hitman 1 GOTY and 2 Gold be upgraded within III to PS5 GFX? Would be less costly. Or do you need the access passes that say PS4/PS5 on the "sticker"?

If you own the prior games the relevant Access Passes for the third are free. Full FAQ here, if you need it.

1 hour ago, krenzler said:

My brain hurts.

Just kidding thanks. :) That's fair - I can get 1 GOTY, 2 Gold and III now for less than III alone pre-sale.

Go for it.

Hitman 3 even has all the ps5 game Help videos for the original games which I thought was a nice touch.

4 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Gert sale just started on the PlayStation store, includes Miles, Returnal, Hitman 3 etc….

All still bloody expensive though!

4 hours ago, krenzler said:

My brain hurts.

Just kidding thanks. :) That's fair - I can get 1 GOTY, 2 Gold and III now for less than III alone pre-sale.

I’d suggest just getting H1 GOTY and the H3 Free Starter Pack and then buy the rest in a later sale if you like it.