IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

31 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

No, it's the updated version. It's fine, I've got lots of other games to play.

I have been looking at the two new DualSense colours all the same, though. What's the Cosmic Red one like in the flesh? In some pictures it looks great, but in others it looks a bit vibrator-y.

Edit: @deKay, do you get vibrator vibes from your red controller, or is it just me?

It's not as red as it looks in pictures, but I don't really know what colour red vibrators are...

It does vibrate though!

15 hours ago, Jamie John said:

No, it's the updated version. It's fine, I've got lots of other games to play.

I have been looking at the two new DualSense colours all the same, though. What's the Cosmic Red one like in the flesh? In some pictures it looks great, but in others it looks a bit vibrator-y.

Edit: @deKay, do you get vibrator vibes from your red controller, or is it just me?

Its not as nice as it looks in the pics IMO, my other half loves it tho…. :eyebrows:

spacer.png

EE had them in stock 20 minutes ago, snagged a disc version and extra dualsense. Is there a list of games that upgrade to next gen if you own them, disc or digital? I have a Series S in the bedroom and I love the cross progression from games I play in the living room on PC. Is that a thing with Sony? (not with PC obv but between games on PS4 and PS5) Thinking if indeed so it may not be as comprehensive as the Asure kings over at MS.

No matter, I'm excited as fuck for whatever Jim has instore for me. Rinsed DeS on PS3 and have avoided most imagery for the PS5 remake, can not wait to grind around Boletaria et al again.

Now to move the PS4 Pro into the bedroom. This flat is going to blow up.

20 minutes ago, amc said:

EE had them in stock 20 minutes ago, snagged a disc version and extra dualsense. Is there a list of games that upgrade to next gen if you own them, disc or digital? I have a Series S in the bedroom and I love the cross progression from games I play in the living room on PC. Is that a thing with Sony? (not with PC obv but between games on PS4 and PS5) Thinking if indeed so it may not be as comprehensive as the Asure kings over at MS.

Yes, you can (although I've not tried it).

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/remote-play/#compatible

There are various websites that list PS4 games that have PS5 upgrades, e.g. https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps4-to-ps5-all-games-with-confirmed-free-upgrades

12 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

Yes, you can (although I've not tried it).

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/remote-play/#compatible

There are various websites that list PS4 games that have PS5 upgrades, e.g. https://www.pushsquare.com/guides/ps4-to-ps5-all-games-with-confirmed-free-upgrades

This site is good too:

https://www.backwards-compatible.com

46 minutes ago, amc said:

I have a Series S in the bedroom and I love the cross progression from games I play in the living room on PC. Is that a thing with Sony? (not with PC obv but between games on PS4 and PS5).

If you’re playing a PS4 game in backward compatibility mode and have PS Plus you can sync saves via the cloud, I think you have to do it manually, not sure.

I’ve used PS5 remote play on PS4 a few times and that’s worked fine (via powerplugs) but it’ll depend on your network.

11 hours ago, deKay said:

I have a console but I’d like some games since we’re nearly a year in and *tumbleweed*

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are trying to commiserate, but I don’t really need someone rubbing my nose in it about how they have already finished everything ever made for the PS5.

I’d be happy enough just to play Astro Bot FFS.

3 hours ago, Darwock said:

I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are trying to commiserate, but I don’t really need someone rubbing my nose in it about how they have already finished everything ever made for the PS5.

I’d be happy enough just to play Astro Bot FFS.

Astrobot *is* great, but it's also only about 4 hours long. Aside from faster loading times for PS4 games, you're really not missing out on not having a PS5 yet.

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Well no, a game called GT7 will be on PS4. If it's recognisably the PS5 GT7 then the PS5 GT7 is going to be a massive let down.

What are you expecting the PS5 version to have other than the usual PS5 upgrades and perhaps some improved physics, I think without a doubt the PS4 version will be recognisably GT7 and a great game too.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

Astrobot *is* great, but it's also only about 4 hours long. Aside from faster loading times for PS4 games, you're really not missing out on not having a PS5 yet.

While I'd go as far as saying that no one really should be troubling themselves that much to obtain one just yet, it's simply not true that there's nothing at all on offer besides improved loading times. Loads of titles have now been patched to run at 60fps instead of 30 and/or higher resolutions and mostly this has genuinely improved the games in question. And of course there's a (small) number of brilliant exclusives: Returnal, Demon's Souls, Astrobot, Ratchet & Clank.

They may be bonuses for you but I’ve no interest in Demons Souls or R&C, and can’t tell between 30 and 60fps anyway, so loading times and lack of noise are really all I’m getting out of it.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

11 minutes ago, deKay said:

They may be bonuses for you but I’ve no interest in Demons Souls or R&C, and can’t tell between 30 and 60fps anyway, so loading times and lack of noise are really all I’m getting out of it.

:sherlock:

Quite - it's a bit weird to claim those benefits don't exist just because they aren't a big deal for you. They're hardly niche things.

And I'm amazed that anyone can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps. Beforehand, I actually probably would have expected that it wasn't that significant - in the past, it hasn't really been something you could directly compare - but it's been huge for me. The responsiveness that it was possible to achieve in Returnal, not least because of the framerate, completely ruined some other games for a while afterwards, including Horizon until it got its own upgrade.

3 hours ago, scoobysi said:

What are you expecting the PS5 version to have other than the usual PS5 upgrades and perhaps some improved physics, I think without a doubt the PS4 version will be recognisably GT7 and a great game too.

"Some improved" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

What I really mean is it needs to be impossible for users on the 2 consoles to be in the same race because if PS4 users can race against PS5 users it'll need to have the same physics. And that means the PS5 version will need physics a PC CPU from 2008 can handle.

But I'm hoping for dramatically improved physics, I'm hoping for the ability to have 61 cars in a race at LeMans, I'm hoping for a bunch of stuff that means they will need distinct career modes and distinct multiplayer lobbies or what they're making is going to be essentially a game from 2008 again.

You can absolutely make the GT7 they hoped to release instead of GT Sport and it'd be great but you need a clean break otherwise you're doing the PS5 a massive disservice and MS know this which is why FM8 won't run on Xbox One.

@Dudley That’s the reason I’m really looking forward to seeing what they do with FM8. It’ll probably be the first proper game (sorry Flight Sinulator) that takes advantage of the next gen for Xbox. I’m expecting big things.

Aplogies for talking Xbox in the PS thread, but it’s more about the racing game chat.

1 hour ago, hmm said:

Quite - it's a bit weird to claim those benefits don't exist just because they aren't a big deal for you. They're hardly niche things.

The point is that that even with those benefits, there’s still no reason to feel you’re missing out. Especially if you already have a PS4 Pro.