Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!


Eighthours
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

In the world of the PC master race people have heart attacks at the thought of 70oC. For everything else they don’t care as long as it doesn’t melt.


You’re leaving performance on the table if your PC isn’t literally incandescent with dissipated heat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The whole cooling setup is a very cheap brute force approach, they have just refined it and made it cheaper - its not even going to be noticeable to the end user so its an improvement… its not even really news is it?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

The whole cooling setup is a very cheap brute force approach, they have just refined it and made it cheaper - its not even going to be noticeable to the end user so its an improvement… its not even really news is it?!


Yeah it’s usually more of a warning sign when they have to add cooling in revisions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:


Yeah it’s usually more of a warning sign when they have to add cooling in revisions.

A point they made in the video was that maybe they were over cautious on release.

 I do worry about the SSD chips though cause they aren’t cooled evenly, a couple of them get very hot indeed.

 

 

Edit - looking the picture the shield plate is quite different in its lumps and bumps.

play spot the difference 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Good one! :lol:

 

3 hours ago, SeanR said:

Some of us have genuine concerns about console noise :quote:

 

What?  People have said you can hear the PS5 fans.  I'd like a silent(ish) one. The PS4 started off with loud fans and got louder with some later games, various revisions of PS4 sorted that. The Slim is apparently largely quiet.   The PS5 will go the same way (although I'd imagine it's not as loud as the launch PS4's)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As someone who has still had zero opportunity to get a PS5 I am indeed a bit miffed to hear that when I do get one it will have less cooling. I was already a bit concerned about having to put it in a cabinet, but now it’s going to be putting out more hot air than before? Still, I guess by the time I can get one there will maybe have been some actual hardware improvements as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

 

What?  People have said you can hear the PS5 fans.  I'd like a silent(ish) one. The PS4 started off with loud fans and got louder with some later games, various revisions of PS4 sorted that. The Slim is apparently largely quiet.   The PS5 will go the same way (although I'd imagine it's not as loud as the launch PS4's)

 

if you take out a big chunk of heatsink, which they have, its not going to help it get quieter, the opposite, as the fan will have to do more

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 5R7 said:

 

if you take out a big chunk of heatsink, which they have, its not going to help it get quieter, the opposite, as the fan will have to do more

Unless the fan is more efficient and or testing of the original heat sink reveals the extra bits really don’t do very much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Darwock said:

As someone who has still had zero opportunity to get a PS5 I am indeed a bit miffed to hear that when I do get one it will have less cooling. I was already a bit concerned about having to put it in a cabinet, but now it’s going to be putting out more hot air than before? Still, I guess by the time I can get one there will maybe have been some actual hardware improvements as well.

 

4 hours ago, 5R7 said:

 

if you take out a big chunk of heatsink, which they have, its not going to help it get quieter, the opposite, as the fan will have to do more

 

Not strictly true, if there is too much heat sink you end up with heat soak requiring more more fan to get the heat out as you are now heating up the whole case / other components - the trick is to get the heat off the cheap, down the pipe and fan extracting it as quickly as possible - given the exhaust temp is slightly higher its seems to be doing exactly that with the same spec fan

 

The complaint here should be that Sony went with such a cheap crappy design in the first place leading to the crappy case dimensions and efforts to make it look whacky…

 

5 hours ago, rafaqat said:

 

 

What?  People have said you can hear the PS5 fans.  I'd like a silent(ish) one. The PS4 started off with loud fans and got louder with some later games, various revisions of PS4 sorted that. The Slim is apparently largely quiet.   The PS5 will go the same way (although I'd imagine it's not as loud as the launch PS4's)

 

The PS4 never got quiet, my PS5 is miles quieter than any revision of PS4 - not even comparable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Darwock said:

I was already a bit concerned about having to put it in a cabinet, but now it’s going to be putting out more hot air than before?

 

It's still giving out exactly as much heat at the same rate. Sony haven't changed the laws of thermodynamics. When the console is using 200 watts of electrical energy to produce gameplay, your cabinet will receive 200 watts of thermal energy that then has to escape.

 

Is the heat sink actually inferior? We genuinely don't know. It could simply be different, but dissipate heat at the same rate. PS5s already vary from each other by at least this much in terms of the temperature of the outside of the case. Even controlling for that, the new heat sink is proportionally larger at the rear vent of the console - the one spot on the case where they're measuring the temperature. The site hasn't reported that the PS5 is running any louder (although it's not clear they've measured it). As well as rather undermining any concerns that the system will have to run louder, it also implies that the same air flow is producing exactly as much heat dissipation, i.e. the heat sink is performing exactly as well as the previous one.

 

In short I think people should not extrapolate from one poorly-conceived data point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, footle said:

The fan goes in the hole, right? It’s a weird cooling design in both revisions.

 

I took the kids to see Peter Rabbit 2 at the cinema on Saturday and all I can see when I read this is "the rabbit comes out the hole, goes around the tree and then back down the hole".

 

🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The right stick on my DualSense has started to drift, I think, which is very frustrating seeing as I've had the console since February and have only played a handful of games on it.

 

I only notice it in FF7 Remake - the camera will occasionally slowly tilt up, and when I go onto the map screen it zooms in and out by itself. I've tried resetting the controller to defaults, but it's not done anything to fix it. It's weird that it only does it on this one game, though, but I had a similar problem with Red Dead 2 on my PS4 where the aiming reticule would drift around.

 

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy fix which doesn't void my warranty? I can send it off to get fixed, but won't have a controller in the meantime, obviously. I've had to have the controller that came with my Xbox Series X replaced, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy fix which doesn't void my warranty? I can send it off to get fixed, but won't have a controller in the meantime, obviously. I've had to have the controller that came with my Xbox Series X replaced, too.

Yeah quite a few of us have had Dualsense Drift. You didn't happen to get your PS5 from Amazon did you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy fix which doesn't void my warranty? I can send it off to get fixed, but won't have a controller in the meantime, obviously. I've had to have the controller that came with my Xbox Series X replaced, too.

Just do what everyone else in here has done (or maybe it was just me and I'm trying to sound like I'm in good company):

 

Buy a new one from Amazon, tell them it's faulty and send them the drifting one back in the box for a refund.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

Yeah quite a few of us have had Dualsense Drift. You didn't happen to get your PS5 from Amazon did you?

 

No, I got it from some weird website called Ace.com.

 

5 minutes ago, cubik said:

Just do what everyone else in here has done (or maybe it was just me and I'm trying to sound like I'm in good company):

 

Buy a new one from Amazon, tell them it's faulty and send them the drifting one back in the box for a refund.

 

I suppose that would be a lot quicker than sending the original one back to Sony, and cheaper, too, seeing as they make you pay for the postage. It seems like something Amazon would cotton onto pretty quickly, though. Has anyone else tried it?

 

Apologies if this is one of those questions that comes up all the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

The right stick on my DualSense has started to drift, I think, which is very frustrating seeing as I've had the console since February and have only played a handful of games on it.

 

I only notice it in FF7 Remake - the camera will occasionally slowly tilt up, and when I go onto the map screen it zooms in and out by itself. I've tried resetting the controller to defaults, but it's not done anything to fix it. It's weird that it only does it on this one game, though, but I had a similar problem with Red Dead 2 on my PS4 where the aiming reticule would drift around.

 

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an easy fix which doesn't void my warranty? I can send it off to get fixed, but won't have a controller in the meantime, obviously. I've had to have the controller that came with my Xbox Series X replaced, too.

 

I sent mine back to Sony for free and they replaced it. I needed a second one anyway so when the red one came out I bought that just before I sent it.

 

AFAIK there's no fix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, deKay said:

 

I sent mine back to Sony for free and they replaced it. I needed a second one anyway so when the red one came out I bought that just before I sent it.

 

AFAIK there's no fix.

 

Oh, I read that they expect you to pay for the return postage. I'll give them a ring tomorrow. It's a shame, as I was enjoying FFVII: R after bouncing off it last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.