IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

12 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

…like having to plug your pads in to update - what the actual fuck is that about!?

The pads have to be plugged in so much to recharge it isn’t really an issue 😉

Joking. I absolutely love my PS5, it’s been silent, fast, rock solid performance/stability wise, loads of fantastic games already… but my pad battery life is unquestionably a bit iffy already which is a bit of a shame. My PS4 one was fine but it’s not like it hasn’t been a well reported frustration for years. In general though I’m really happy with it.

41 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why’s that, because you’re so used to the Xbox UI?

Xbox UI/UX is very functional, looks and feels like a windows pc so does its job but eww… PS5 looks flashy and slick and just a bit classy - its utter crap to use of course but it just looks more premium!

12 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

The pads have to be plugged in so much to recharge it isn’t really an

Joking. I absolutely love my PS5, it’s been silent, fast, rock solid performance/stability wise, loads of fantastic games already… but my pad battery life is unquestionably a bit iffy already which is a bit of a shame. My PS4 one was fine but it’s not like it hasn’t been a well reported frustration for years. In general though I’m really happy with it though.

Two pads and a charging dock seeentialm and a lead to update as its still 1898 in Sony land

Seeing as I only use a soundbar with no rears, I thought I'd give the 3D audio a whirl. Fucking atrocious! Like listening to an old cassette tape gone bad after listening to vinyl. Switched straight back to soundbar mode.

Maybe it's good for TV that already have shitty audio, I dunno.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Seeing as I only use a soundbar with no rears, I thought I'd give the 3D audio a whirl. Fucking atrocious! Like listening to an old cassette tape gone bad after listening to vinyl. Switched straight back to soundbar mode.

I’m trying it out.

It seems like there’s a big phasey hole in the middle of the sound stage.

It doesn’t help that Samsung TVs have a game mode audio thing which tries to do some of this stuff.

I would like to get a new amp to get my surround sound back but I’ll just stick some headphones in when I really want to get into something.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

It’s not for sound bars , specifically only for tv speakers , a soundbar update is coming 

Text version:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-playstation-5-cfi-1100-review-better-or-worse-than-the-launch-console

In short the new version is essentially identical to the old one, to the point where moving the new cooler on to an old model console doesn’t affect it in any measurable way. The console is also designed to use the fan very sparingly, and does not limit its performance in response to heat in any way beyond shutting down completely if it is overheated.

5 hours ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I've tried it on my TV speakers but only on a PS4 game so far (which it's not designed for) and it made the sound really tinny. Presumably will be better on an actual PS5 app. 

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Text version:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-playstation-5-cfi-1100-review-better-or-worse-than-the-launch-console

In short the new version is essentially identical to the old one, to the point where moving the new cooler on to an old model console doesn’t affect it in any measurable way. The console is also designed to use the fan very sparingly, and does not limit its performance in response to heat in any way beyond shutting down completely if it is overheated.

I noted that the new PS5 seemed a touch louder than my launch units, but according to Steve at Gamers Nexus, this is entirely normal - and even between PS5s of the same generation, there can be a per-unit variance in fan speed of around 100rpm, explaining the difference. There's the sense then that the PS5 will run as hot it needs to in order to maintain system performance and curiously, even if it gets significantly hotter, the fans won't spin up. If the machine gets reaches unsafe temperatures, it'll automatically shut down instead. General use of the fan is curious - Sony is very conservative in its use and cooling could be improved with only a minimal change in acoustics. The overall takeaway is that ensuring a quiet experience appears to be Sony's top priority.

it’s great that Sony’s priority is to get to quieter consoles.  Hopefully they keep with that philosophy with future revisions. 

38 minutes ago, Hoodedclaw said:

Anyone running a Samsung 980 without heatsink , is it work putting one on ? I have read they don't run that hot and don't really need one ?

Literally just installed my 980 with a heatsink 10 minutes ago. It's a piece of cake to put on and I bought mine from scan for £9.99.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/xclio-sp5hs-m2-pro-m2-2280-heat-sink-coolig-kit-with-thermal-pads-and-screw-driver-pc-ps5-black?utm_source=hotukdeals.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=hotukdeals

It doesn't come with any instructions but this image will help out with attaching it.

3793740_1.jpg.4127935eaa25bb0ec01cc1f9a845e78a.jpg

For the sake of £9.99 I thought it was worth ensuring that the drive doesn't get too hot.

4 minutes ago, theredstar said:

Amazon had 980 pros on sale this morning for £125, but they appear to have sold out.

How about this one, with fitted heat sink?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V3Q8L7D?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Not tried it in the PS5, but had one of theirs in my PC and it was fine.

I think pretty much any gen 4 drive will be ok,

And in the "its so simple" camp we now have one user recommending a drive which is below the recommended minimum speed requirements! 👍 ... <_<

"Sequential read speed 5500 MB/s or faster is recommended" https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

24 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

And in the "its so simple" camp we now have one user recommending a drive which is below the recommended minimum speed requirements! 👍 ... <_<

"Sequential read speed 5500 MB/s or faster is recommended" https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

Good point. Picked it up from HUKD who flagged it as PS5 compatible.