PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

13 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Even the Nintendo Switch has a better store than this. Surprising since Sony had a massive head start with online and yet are regressing

I don’t like the Switch store tbh but then I generally just search for a game and find it quite easily on either. On PS5 you can use voice search too which is nice. 

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wow, the SSD is trivially easy to install. :)

soooo

a friend of mine tried to insert it into the wires coming down from the slot….similar to how a games cartridge might have sat in between the pins. Using lots of force because the fucking heat sync screws were fouling a bit. Took him ages to realise you just put it in the slot above.

😑

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Wow, the SSD is trivially easy to install. :)

19 minutes ago, yashiro said:

You have to remove a cover and even a screw! It's beyond casual users! You must be a god.

14 minutes ago, sid said:

soooo

a friend of mine tried to insert it into the wires coming down from the slot….similar to how a games cartridge might have sat in between the pins. Using lots of force because the fucking heat sync screws were fouling a bit. Took him ages to realise you just put it in the slot above.

😑

4 hours ago, krenzler said:

See, that's a fantastic demonstration of somebody knowing what they are doing (thor) ...followed by the general public...

It's only straightforward and simple, IF you know what you are doing...if you dont...well...

50 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

See, that's a fantastic demonstration of somebody knowing what they are doing (thor) ...followed by the general public...

It's only straightforward and simple, IF you know what you are doing...if you dont...well...

People who aren’t old enough to remember the days when you had to wire the plug yourself on electrical goods, don’t know they’re born! 

I installed my 1tb SSD. Took a couple of minutes. The hardest bit was being brave enough to pull the side of the case hard enough to disengage it. fitting the SSD was a piece of piss.

I transferred about 700gb to it from the internal drive. Only took about 1 minute.

Got the update, nice to see they have put in about 5% of what the UI should have launched with….. hopefully themes and folders within the year ehhh?!

There is a fair bit to like about the PS5, but my word its a frustrating beast - The UI looks all slick and amazing frankly until you have to do anything or any system its sat on top of like having to plug your pads in to update - what the actual fuck is that about!? Or the 65gb I had to free up to install a 9th Apex patch, I’m aware that’s a PS4 folly but it feels like the SSD is actually about 300gb in use as you have to reserve so much of it for ‘system stuff’ and always keep 200gb free to update a PS4 game 🤬

Rant over, I quite like it you know - and it defi feels more next gen than the series X - maybe as its a prototype that doesn’t look finished and has an unfinished Ubi and awful ux, its somehow almost endearing but then i like Italian cars so character is a thing ;)

A genuine positive is how fast and quiet it is, its defi louder than the series x but its a pleasant noise you dont hear and if you do its fine - it feels like a PS4 done right…

12 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

…like having to plug your pads in to update - what the actual fuck is that about!?

The pads have to be plugged in so much to recharge it isn’t really an issue 😉

Joking. I absolutely love my PS5, it’s been silent, fast, rock solid performance/stability wise, loads of fantastic games already… but my pad battery life is unquestionably a bit iffy already which is a bit of a shame. My PS4 one was fine but it’s not like it hasn’t been a well reported frustration for years. In general though I’m really happy with it.

41 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why’s that, because you’re so used to the Xbox UI?

Xbox UI/UX is very functional, looks and feels like a windows pc so does its job but eww… PS5 looks flashy and slick and just a bit classy - its utter crap to use of course but it just looks more premium!

12 minutes ago, FiveFootNinja said:

The pads have to be plugged in so much to recharge it isn’t really an

Joking. I absolutely love my PS5, it’s been silent, fast, rock solid performance/stability wise, loads of fantastic games already… but my pad battery life is unquestionably a bit iffy already which is a bit of a shame. My PS4 one was fine but it’s not like it hasn’t been a well reported frustration for years. In general though I’m really happy with it though.

Two pads and a charging dock seeentialm and a lead to update as its still 1898 in Sony land

Seeing as I only use a soundbar with no rears, I thought I'd give the 3D audio a whirl. Fucking atrocious! Like listening to an old cassette tape gone bad after listening to vinyl. Switched straight back to soundbar mode.

Maybe it's good for TV that already have shitty audio, I dunno.

13 minutes ago, Thor said:

Seeing as I only use a soundbar with no rears, I thought I'd give the 3D audio a whirl. Fucking atrocious! Like listening to an old cassette tape gone bad after listening to vinyl. Switched straight back to soundbar mode.

I’m trying it out.

It seems like there’s a big phasey hole in the middle of the sound stage.

It doesn’t help that Samsung TVs have a game mode audio thing which tries to do some of this stuff.

I would like to get a new amp to get my surround sound back but I’ll just stick some headphones in when I really want to get into something.

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

It’s not for sound bars , specifically only for tv speakers , a soundbar update is coming