IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

4 hours ago, mikeyl said:

they shouldn't have bothered at all, more drama than its worth. Apart from the Genuine Concerns drive-bys, is anyone that bothered by 2 hours extra of free Sackboy? You'll know if it is worth buying after 20 minutes. And Death Stranding doesn't get going until at least the 7th hour!

This pre-supposes you can reliably download the demo in less than 5hrs 40 and will be buy the PS5 when it does.

Hmm maybe, just downloaded sackboy after all this chat, it’s a 11gb download to get going. That’s like 15 minutes for most. It’s a daft system they introduced for sure and Sony deserve the lols but not really worth digging up that dead “For the Players” meme is it. 

21 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Hmm maybe, just downloaded sackboy after all this chat, it’s a 11gb download to get going. That’s like 15 minutes for most. 

* cries in internet *

That's an hour. And my goggle said Sackboy is 30gb and Death Stranding 80 or 90.

They’ll DL the bits that you need to get going first, so it’ll be 11gb out of the 30gb game. If one’s internet sucks then it will suck I’ll agree.

And I want no one to download the first 6 hours of Death Stranding, it’s nothing but walking for ages and will put a lot of people off it’s zipline building majesty. 

Completed world 1 (of 5) of sackboy in less than 2 hours then stopped as couldn’t be bothered to session it. It’s quite a generous demo in some ways as you get a lot of game for free if time and internet allows. Games alright, nothing revolutionary but the soundtrack absolutely bangs. Probably will never play again tho.

17 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I have stick drift in my Dualsense. I noticed it a bit over the last few months but the main clue was when I was using the "power doesn't drain when you're standing still invisible power" in Deathloop and my guy was inching backwards without me noticing. Cue me popping into existence in the middle of a room full of baddies and getting done by Julianna in seconds. 

It looks like I can't just report it online like I did with my Joycons? I have to call them!?

Yeah, you need to call them (after waiting on hold for half an hour). Make sure you have the right responses to avoid the fob off as they will ask you to try BS stuff like reset the controller via the pin hole, update the software, restart the console, clean it with a cloth, all that nonsense that isn't going to fix stick drift in a million years but they can use to bounce you for a call back.

Hype the train, peeps.

Irish singer-songwriter Eabha McMahon, better known by her stage name AVA, wrote a song for a “big” PlayStation remake to be announced in December, she said in an interview with Irish radio program The Lunchbox.

Michael McGlynn and the music ensemble ANUNA, which AVA joined in 2015, previously worked with composer Yasunori Mitsuda on the track “Shadow of the Lowlands” for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and McGlynn performed alongside Mitsuda on stage in celebration of Xenogears‘ 20th anniversary. Given that the new song by AVA is a collaboration with McGlynn, and considering McGlynn’s history with Mitsuda, it is possible the PlayStation game in reference is a title Mitsuda previously worked on.

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/10/irish-singer-songwriter-ava-wrote-a-song-for-a-big-playstation-remake-to-be-announced-in-december

1 hour ago, Darwock said:

A lot of people that bought it got a copy of the soundtrack on CD (premium box was everywhere), it’s probably one of my most well known pieces of gaming music.

Just listening to it now.

Sounds like it belongs in The Witcher. :) Honestly, I have no recollection of this song. It's been some time since I played MGS1, mind you.

Not sure if this has been posted before but the tech that sits behind the dualsense is a feat of engineering! Wow... 

How is everyone finding the tech? Loved it in Astrobot and experienced it in a few other games - it generally does add another dimension to games. It will be interesting to see where they go with this.

I really like the DualSense (apart from the terrible name of it.) After I was caning Astrobot I was a little worried that, if every game used it as much and as showily as that did, it might be a little RSI-inducing. But actually, it's the more delicate usages that I think carry it off. It feels great in a variety of games - WRC9 is obviously very in-your-face, but the little extras in Miles Morales or the next-gen update of Metro Exodus or Demon's Souls etc. I really like the PS5 as a console to play games on.

It's something of a shame that Sony - between the high prices for PS5 1st party titles, the sense that you're being milked for cross-gen and next-gen updates, and the obvious Game Pass competitor - seem to be trying to make it a less attractive place to buy games. Because I want to play games on the PS5.

12 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's something of a shame that Sony - between the high prices for PS5 1st party titles, the sense that you're being milked for cross-gen and next-gen updates, and the obvious Game Pass competitor - seem to be trying to make it a less attractive place to buy games. Because I want to play games on the PS5.

Indeed this is kind of the position I'm in... Not keen on the  "PS5 Tax" for upgrading old PS4 games or the price of PS5 games themselves. At least you can get physical media I guess so second hand or swapping disks around is still an option. Although expect digital will probably take over ever more this gen and going forward.

Sometimes I feel that I'm being overly gouged by Sony. I was going to pick up Ghosts Of Tsushima to have a try on... but put off by the £60 price. Think coming in from GamePass and PC, Sony feels like an expensive place to game. I still question at times whether the first party titles will give me £70 worth of entertainment value.

33 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Does the US still get $60 games.

Poor price is equivalent to $95

Just been looking on the US site.

Ratchet and Clank for example is $69.99.... which translates to ~£50. Guessing in US they add sales tax depending on where you buy etc. Even so if you add say 20% sales tax onto that its still only ~£60.

I know you can get cheap top up cards etc so not all bad...

8 hours ago, MattyP said:

How is everyone finding the tech? Loved it in Astrobot and experienced it in a few other games - it generally does add another dimension to games. It will be interesting to see where they go with this.

I’m enjoying the F1 game a lot more this year and I put that down to the DualSense, the sense of grip coming out of a corner in particular is brilliant. I hope they do something similar with GT7, if so it’ll be brilliant.

Could someone do me a favour and give me an accurate measurement of the PS5 power cable? There seem to be various different opinions on the bloody thing online, and it would be good to get it right. If it's not long enough I'll have to pick up a longer one from somewhere! 

Ta!