IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

Wonder what the metrics might be. I've not played anything new on the PS4 since Last of Us 2 in summer last year. I have recently gone back and replayed things like God of War, Spider-Man and the Uncharted series and I picked up Skyrim VR and have been playing that.

Are they looking at who's playing old games and trying to push new hardware to them.

1 hour ago, memories said:

Screenshot_20211115-080735.jpg

I can see why you'd be pretty wary of this with the grammar there. I can't help reading it with a Russian accent in my head with the lack of (in)definite articles.

I like this weird 'Vega VIP' branding too, which Google seems to know absolutely nothing about. I'm only familiar with Vegas, their video editing software, and this also comes across as something like a scammer finding a random term associated with Sony and trying to add some legitimacy by throwing it in there. I would expect them to be just talking about the Play Store really.

It's definitely not a scam, but it does feel like they've tried quite hard to make it look like one.

7 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Did you get one @memories?

Na didn't bother, nothing on the PS5 that interests me at the moment. 

I did go through it and sure enough it took me to the official playstation store and it was there for me to buy.

Also as I say I've recently started playing Skyrim VR so I'm leaving this world pretty soon to live in there.

Two things they got rid of on this console that really irritate me (I’m sure there are others, but these keep jumping to the fore): user reviews on the PSN store, and patch notes. Getting rid of user reviews is, obviously, a move that is in no way intended to benefit the customer, especially with only every one in fiftieth game having a demo anymore. I’m sure Sony will waffle something about review bombing, but honestly I never saw a game with a low rating and didn’t think ‘yeah, probably right,’ after checking out the blurb and the trailer. 

Patch notes were often a bit half assed on PS4, but certainly gave me an idea as to whether I wanted to seek out further details. Even ‘general bug fixes and performance improvements’ was useful, as often if the bugs were notable then those would otherwise be detailed. Removing this feature when most games subsist on a steady stream of patches, having often been released not quite finished, is unhelpful and unnecessary. 

Getting rid of the web browser isn’t quite as heinous, though certainly another irritation for me, as they listed it as one of the primary methods via which the console can be hacked. 

Just now, cavalcade said:

Can I ask anyone else with a PS5, on the pad do your sticks have a sort of rubbery click to them as you move them away from the centre? I find it a bit distracting and weird, but I'm not sure if it's just this pad. 

THANK YOU!

right stick, pushing right.

seems to catch ever so slightly, but only in game, ACV mostly. Like it’s haptic, but for no reason, to come and go when not in a game.

Just now, scoobysi said:

No nothing like that on the 3 pads in our household.

Well that is weird. 

It's subtle and I don't notice it too much when I'm playing, but picking up the pad and the first few moves of the sticks is very odd, so much so I sort of think it must be a manufacturing flaw. I'm tempted to buy a second pad just to check. 

4 hours ago, cavalcade said:

Can I ask anyone else with a PS5, on the pad do your sticks have a sort of rubbery click to them as you move them away from the centre? I find it a bit distracting and weird, but I'm not sure if it's just this pad. 

Just tried both my pads... I can hear a click if I put my ear near the thumbsticks and move them but not loud enough to distract. 

The Xbox One pad I use on my PC also does this. Everything works as it should though so guess its just the way these things are manufactured? Think that PS/Xbox use the same manufacturer for their analogue sticks (ALPS)

Seems that the sticks only have a service life of around 417 hours anyway... :D 

https://gamingbolt.com/ps5-dualsense-analog-sticks-have-an-operating-life-of-roughly-417-hours-as-per-new-analysis

Not sure why they don't use some other tech to track the position of the sticks - optical or something. Sure it must exist but its one of cost I guess. Surprisingly the Xbox Elite controllers use the same ALPS sticks so essentially paying all the extra money for the same components that have the same lifespan. Part of the reason I didn't bother getting one - I expected the tech inside to be a bit more well...  Elite... :) 

4 hours ago, cavalcade said:

Yes, on my right thumb stick.

5 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

It's more a gummy click than a loud click. As someone else said, almost a haptic feature - like a tiny ridge of resistance as you push the sticks away from centre. It feels odd, but I wondered if it was deliberate. It appears not!

Yep that is exactly what both my pads make a "gummy click". Like something slightly sticking... like I say only notice when I have my ear right to the sticks and move them. Otherwise during a game you'd never notice it.

3 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

It's quite a noticeable noise for me. You can hear it maybe 2 feet away. I wonder if it's when pads are new and it slowly fades over time? Though I have probably used this pad for about 40 hours now and it's still a clicky-boi. 

Both mine do it, its quite a poppy noise isn’t it - ive said before but i prefer the DS4 for FPS games for things like this as it feels a bit draggy and I couldn’t dial it out in game settings but had never put it to something physical until your post :o 

Ive just checked and neither Series pads or the Switch Pro controller do it - I said in another thread i was tempted to try Xbox sticks on the dual sense as they always made the DS4 better so will get some ordered! 

Does anyone know what kind of bundles Currys are forcing for their PS5 raffle codes?

I've just got a code, but already have a PS5 so don't need it.

Apparently the code can only be used in store. They managed to email it to me but I can't use it online, that makes a lot of sense....

I know a couple of people who might want it but I don't want them to have to piss about visiting stores, only to find out they need to also stump up for 10 games, a funko pop of Aloy and a commemorative hat.

Edit - Durrr... I should have read the bottom of the email.

PS5 and controller - £509

PS5 and headset - £539

PS5 and Ratchet & Clank - £509

PS5 and Miles Morales - £499

PS5 and Demon's Souls - £509