IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

4 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Has the periodic disc spinning been properly fixed now, or is it still preferable to have the digital version?

It's absolutely fixed for me. It was very apparent for the first few months after launch, extremely loud on about an hourly basis, then they made a change in one of the updates and I've never heard it since.

The drive is still reasonably noisy when doing the initial install from disc, but never during gameplay any longer.

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Thanks both.

@deKay is it loud, and how long does it carry on for? I generally prefer to buy physical because it gives me the option of selling/trading later, but I'd prefer not hearing the drive spinning over whatever I'm playing.

usually only a few seconds.

Lol. 

honestly, it sounds fucking berserk. Verging on disgraceful for a modern appliance.

EDIT: It occurs to me that certain fucking loud washing machines fall under the modern appliance bracket. It sounds like a fucking loud washing machine.

56 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Lol. 

honestly, it sounds fucking berserk. Verging on disgraceful for a modern appliance.

EDIT: It occurs to me that certain fucking loud washing machines fall under the modern appliance bracket. It sounds like a fucking loud washing machine.

about the same size too, maybe we should chuck some clothes in!

8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

You missed the part where I said it shocks and stuns me every time it happens. It is fucking obscene.

Aw, man. Is it really noticeable when you're playing? I'm going to be playing Demon's and Returnal and really don't want the atmosphere ruined by the behemoth kicking in over the atmosphere.

23 hours ago, deKay said:

No. Still kicks in randomly even if the disc isn’t the game you’re currently playing.

No? It only does it at boot and when starting the game in question. :huh:

2 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

No? It only does it at boot and when starting the game in question. :huh:

I haven't booted mine in months. It just randomly spins up the disc that's in when playing other games. I should probably just take the disc out.

For those running out of fast storage, there's quite a few Black Friday deals out there for compatible SSDs for the internal slot. I have seen a few 2TB ones for £250 (which is roughly £50 off or so) - Amazon had a Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus up for that price, and I think I saw similar pricing on a WD one at Scan - so it's worth a look. 1TB ones are obvs cheaper again.

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Aw, man. Is it really noticeable when you're playing? I'm going to be playing Demon's and Returnal and really don't want the atmosphere ruined by the behemoth kicking in over the atmosphere.

No, if you're playing a game at a decent volume I really challenge you to notice it/be distracted by it. I've had a PS5 since launch and while I have heard it (more often when I first got the console) its really not a big issue.

7 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Perhaps the behaviour has changed.

I played it last week, but I've not rebooted since it did an update ages ago.

LAD is the first disc game I've played (after receiving it as a gift) and only started that after the last major firmware update, so things might have changed. And apart from a noticeable booting hum, it's fine in my book. It's basically like a downloaded game, only checking entitlement by disc.

Thankfully, as I'm a luddite who refuses absolutely to spend loads on a proper surround setup I'm blissfully unaware of too much heavy duty noise as the headphones are always one.

Quite honestly, the PC I have is mostly a deafening piece black obelisk and I've got used to that, so I suspect it wouldn't be too bad either way!

41 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

For those running out of fast storage, there's quite a few Black Friday deals out there for compatible SSDs for the internal slot. I have seen a few 2TB ones for £250 (which is roughly £50 off or so) - Amazon had a Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus up for that price, and I think I saw similar pricing on a WD one at Scan - so it's worth a look. 1TB ones are obvs cheaper again.

Also a cheaper option is a USB HDD where you can archive PS5 games or play PS4 games. I do this and reserve the internal SSD for PS5 or PS4 that I’m playing at the moment (11 PS5, 4 PS4). I took the 2TB drive out my PS4 and put the 500GB back in that.

I’d quite like to add an internal SSD but will wait a bit to see if the 2TB drives drop a bit in price as it does feel like a bit of a waste to have games sitting on more expensive storage if they’re not being played regularly.

I really enjoyed this. It's not often we get access to Mark Cerny, and I always enjoy when platform holders discuss the development process for their consoles.

There's some interesting stuff in there like the (brief) dialogue they had with devs about a 16 core CPU.

6 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Honestly as the forums most annoyed by noise PlayStations make (note there has never been a ‘silent’ PlayStation, not one) I haven’t had the disc spin noise issue at all - its very noisy on powering on but goes quiet quickly - the PS5 isnt silent (obvs) but is so quiet and the noise it makes blends in so you dont notice it, i dont seem to get any coil whine thankfully.

On 21/11/2021 at 12:36, Calashnikov said:

Mine is obscenely loud spinning discs. It shocks and stuns me every time it happens, which hasn’t been a while since I’ve mostly been playing downloaded games these past few months. 

When I went to continue playing Avengers my PS5 needed the disc - ridiculously loud, bbuuuuuuuutt ... and I've said this before, it's the vibration of the drive that is the problem, so if your have your console in a unit that will amplify said vibrations, that is why it's loud. My PS4 Pro was the same, I had to put little polystyrene blocks underneath that machine to absorb the vibration. And it's why I wish I'd simply gone for the digital machine this time around (and I fucking would have if Sony had come clean far sooner about the lack of Dolby Vision - I only wanted the drive for UHD movies). 

Stocking up on a bunch of PS5 and PS4 games in the big sale.  So far I've bought Sackboy, Riders Republic, Street Fighter V CE and Cyberpunk.

Still looking for a nice single player experience.  Should I get Resident Evil Village at $27, Assassin's Creed Valhalla at $30, Psychonauts2 at $48 or Returnal at $54?

3 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I'm trying to restrain myself from buying anything until I've completed the games already owned.

You’re talking crazy.

You damn well buy everything now and never play anything ever again.

It’s what the baby Jesus wants.