IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

It's an oddly-timed promotion, really. You'd think maybe it's to encourage subscriptions for the swathe of new console owners at Xmas, but it expires prior to Christmas Day. So it's for people that don't currently subscribe, but want to play online over Christmas? I don't quite get the timing of it.

Anyone understand how PS+ etc all work for families?

I've bought my son a PS5 for Christmas, which I'd like to feel like is his and be easy for him to take off to uni or whatever in a couple of years. On the PS4 I was the main account, the kids were kids account under my account and any games we bought digitally were mine (mwahaha!) rather than theirs. My subscription is lapsed now though, so can basically do whatever works.

If I want my 16 year old to actually be able to own the games, but not have to buy a PS+ subscription for him and another for me for the same console what should I do?

And am I best of lying about his ages anyway, so he doesn't have to worry about 18+ restrictions, given I don't care about them for him.

4 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's an oddly-timed promotion, really. You'd think maybe it's to encourage subscriptions for the swathe of new console owners at Xmas, but it expires prior to Christmas Day. So it's for people that don't currently subscribe, but want to play online over Christmas? I don't quite get the timing of it.

They arent selling many one assumes so they want to try and get the lapsed people back on

Is it mad that I still can't be arsed to update my controllers? Had a PS5 since launch, keeps asking if I want to update controllers every time. I have a proper charger stand thing so I can't be bothered to get out the cable and hook it up just to do an update.

49 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Is it mad that I still can't be arsed to update my controllers? Had a PS5 since launch, keeps asking if I want to update controllers every time. I have a proper charger stand thing so I can't be bothered to get out the cable and hook it up just to do an update.

same, same…

5 hours ago, Alask said:

Anyone understand how PS+ etc all work for families?

I've bought my son a PS5 for Christmas, which I'd like to feel like is his and be easy for him to take off to uni or whatever in a couple of years. On the PS4 I was the main account, the kids were kids account under my account and any games we bought digitally were mine (mwahaha!) rather than theirs. My subscription is lapsed now though, so can basically do whatever works.

If I want my 16 year old to actually be able to own the games, but not have to buy a PS+ subscription for him and another for me for the same console what should I do?

And am I best of lying about his ages anyway, so he doesn't have to worry about 18+ restrictions, given I don't care about them for him.

Yes, much easier to lie about the ages. But don't forget the date you put in! You might need it again to prove you own the account.

PS+ is tied to a single account on the console but all other accounts on the console will have access to play the games and play online. Be aware though, they don't get cloud saves. And they won't 'own' the games in any sense, but I think you can faff with primary accounts to get that (others can clarify I hope)

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Yes.

Ah, now those are just what I wanted! Looking forward to rebuying a PS5 and immediately equipping it with the pink plates and a blue dual shock (once I can be certain I won't get one with a PS3-volume fan and a disc drive that sounds like it's trying to grind its way through its contents, at least).

£50 for two pieces of brightly coloured plastic is insane. That's almost the cost of a brand new Dualsense controller which is packed with tech. I'm glad I've got my PS5 hidden away so I won't feel tempted to change the colour during a drunken shopping spree.