IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

@John0

I got mine by being on the mailing list for selection in the PlayStation Direct service, or something? I think the steps are as below:

Signing up for PlayStation Direct emails is easy, the problem is that it doesn’t necessary guarantee you’ll get an invite, since it’s all random. First you have to sign up at the PlayStation Direct website but you also have to make sure you have email notifications enabled, which is controlled from a different website.

Go to the PlayStation account website and sign in – or if you haven’t registered an account yet do so.
Click Account Settings from your main menu, it’ll be the one with your avatar on it or a greyed out smiley face if you haven’t set one up.
Select Notifications and make sure the ‘Receive Email Notifications’ options is ticked.

That’s it. Now just hope you’re lucky enough to get picked for a random invite.

Source: Metro

1 hour ago, John0 said:

Any advice on buying a PS5 these days? It seems like Curry's are the only ones with any stock right now but I'd rather just get the console on its own rather than bundled. Don't really need it right away but was thinking it would be nice to have a next gen console for when Elden Ring comes out.

Is it just a case of checking the stock every now and then? Is there anywhere I can sign up for receive updates or join some sort of queue? Any tips would be welcome :)

It's worth signing up for notifications from Stock Informer:

https://www.stockinformer.co.uk/checker-ps5-playstation-5-console

I managed to get one on behalf of my sister's bf earlier this week (sold by Very), and had notification later that same morning advising Game also had stock.

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Of course it's capable, it's not a hardware feature, is it? 

I have no idea. What I do know is that it was touted as a feature pre release, and is still nowhere to be seen a year after release.

Just now, Thor said:

I have no idea. What do know is that it was touted as a feature pre release, and is still nowhere to be seen a year after release.

No doubt will be introduced once Sony’s own flagship TVs can do it, which I still think they’re waiting on. 

I think it's down to the HDMI 2.1 chipset in the PS5 and the problems within, think it's a bit funky. Being 2.1 compliant doesn't necessarily mean VRR capable, or that all of the things stated within the 2.1 spec sheet are guaranteed to be included in certain devices stated as having HDMI 2.1. It's a checklist that some iffy manufacturers can dance around which features they'll include from said checklist, yet will still be able to claim as having HDMI 2.1 inputs.

Not saying Sony is one of those manufacturers but there will be some more low key brands claiming such.

I mean the PS5 states it's VRR capable so it should be available at some point but they're definitely having issues with the chosen chipset. Think they want to launch it with hopefully most/all of the issues ironed out.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It’s not even a question of “iffy manufacturers”, for a device to be HDMI 2.1 compliant it just has to support HDMI 2.0. Every single new 2.1 feature, including VRR, is optional.

Oh I know. It's a problem stemming from the HDMI alliance/licencing not having cast iron rules for what the term 2.1 entails. I don't know the machinations of how they operate so may be fair enough that they're so lax, or whatever the term appropriate for their operation is, maybe they just like getting paid? Must be a herculean task, I suppose? But can definitely see some of the less prestigious brands happily touting HDMI 2.1 in bold whilst obfuscating what their sets are capable of with regards to the standard's parameters.

I mean, it can be pretty tough nailing down what a lot of top end sets have with regards to myriad standards and technology. Even LG sets need a fair bit of homework with regards ALLM, HGIG, yadda yadda. Don't fancy tackling what a 2.1 Bush or Cello entails down the line. Won't need to mind. 77" C1 😏.

They're not going to be doing anything illegal as you say. Just a bit dubious.

On 13/12/2021 at 09:10, Calashnikov said:

Purp second for some Gamecube steez 💜

i had to look that up, method man

i think the PS5 looks perfectly nice as it is. I don’t get the hate. It could look nicer I guess, but I personally think it’s the best looking one so far. Having watched the potential in the Matrix tech demo I think it has earned its monolithic presence

this is all my personal opinion don’t yell at me

50 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

i had to look that up, method man

i think the PS5 looks perfectly nice as it is. I don’t get the hate. It could look nicer I guess, but I personally think it’s the best looking one so far. Having watched the potential in the Matrix tech demo I think it has earned its monolithic presence

this is all my personal opinion don’t yell at me

Just think it's overly big and in your face a bit. Statement piece. It will be interesting what the first revision will look like... 

The tech demo is really impressive took me a bit the realise the whole demo was running in UE5! :)

Yeah the Matrix thing is worth watching the intro a 2nd time because you suddenly realise that it's almost entirely, possibly entirely entirely, not a video.

And then watch the chase because you do see how strictly it's scripted when "Auto fire" turns on :D

Rift Apart and Spiderman Ultimate Edition are both £28 on the Turkish PSN store and I fancy finally partaking in my first PS5 game. 

Which do people reckon I should go for? I haven't played 2018 Spiderman as well so obviously that is going to edge it in terms of hours of content.