IGNORED

PlayStation 5 - Next gen is here!

Eighthours

Knocking on wood, my unit has been absolutely blessed. It's in Sleep Mode whenever I'm not using it. The rare crash that occurs is always linked to a game, for example Horizon 2 crashed 3 times on me.

On 02/03/2022 at 23:29, SeanR said:

beginning to suspect that it REALLY wants me to update my pads firmware...

oh lol, I couldn’t play GT7 without updating the pad(s)…

Well, I upgraded with the internal SSD. Not really even an optional upgrade in my opinion, unless you are a serial one- or two-game gamer, the publishers haven't followed through with the promise of smaller game installs at all AFAICS.

(Took me slightly longer than it should as I was fitting th heatsink myself and misaligned it so the connector didn't stick out enough. Embarassing...)

My PS5 seems to disagree with Elden Ring in a weird way - when I'm done playing and I save and exit the game, and close it so that I'm back on the PS5 home screen (and I mean it's closed, not running in the background) if I go to put the PS5 in rest mode it thinks about it a bit and then switches itself right the way off.  Turning back on then triggers a 'repair' of the internal drive (and my external if it's attached) before everything returns to normal.  It's very odd, because it doesn't do it after playing any other game.  Praise the Tarnished indeed...

Elden ring is the first time I’ve really considered finally grabbing a PS5, but I’ve managed to avoid the buyers remorse so far. I got through a couple of queues this morning to buy one, but I don’t want Forbidden West and GT7 bundled when I already have Zero Dawn and Sport barely touched and there’s no meaningful difference that I can appreciate.

2 hours ago, Sixkiller said:

My PS5 seems to disagree with Elden Ring in a weird way - when I'm done playing and I save and exit the game, and close it so that I'm back on the PS5 home screen (and I mean it's closed, not running in the background) if I go to put the PS5 in rest mode it thinks about it a bit and then switches itself right the way off.  Turning back on then triggers a 'repair' of the internal drive (and my external if it's attached) before everything returns to normal.  It's very odd, because it doesn't do it after playing any other game.  Praise the Tarnished indeed...

Rest mode fuckery is quite common, this is a new variant though. I see there is a firmware 'stability' update out today, maybe that'll fix?

52 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Hmmm not sure what to expect from this really. The rumours were they were about to announce the Spartacus stuff but the “Japanese publishers” bit has binned that idea.

what if it had said “Japanese developers”?

And I’ll remind you that Sega, for example, publish Total War and one of the footy management sims, I forget which, among other things

[edit]
oh, I see what you mean…

Edited by SeanR

42 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

Elden ring is the first time I’ve really considered finally grabbing a PS5, but I’ve managed to avoid the buyers remorse so far. I got through a couple of queues this morning to buy one, but I don’t want Forbidden West and GT7 bundled when I already have Zero Dawn and Sport barely touched and there’s no meaningful difference that I can appreciate.

Okay. Keep us updated.

2 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Rubbing some serious salt in the wounds of the people still trying to get their hands on one - this guy gets to the front of the queues for fun. ;)

Honestly, i nearly bought the same bundle as its cheaper to buy a PS5 2 game bundle and hawk the machine than paying £70 a game 😵

3 minutes ago, SeanR said:

I’ve think I’ve got stick-drift in GT7 menus

Yeah that's how mine started a few days ago. Now I can't even use the controller as it constantly wants to go left. 20 days out of warranty. Kicked up a stink on the phone and it's been escalated but I'm not holding my breath

16 hours ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Rubbing some serious salt in the wounds of the people still trying to get their hands on one - this guy gets to the front of the queues for fun. ;)

When I got mine, I was sure Sony were monitoring my bank account. Could not afford one, couldn't find one anyway. Then had a nice little windfall, the next day I got an invite from Sony to order one in a 2 hour window a few days later. Was very weird, this was back in November last year. 

1 hour ago, Hawklord said:

What's the current SSD recommendation? Preferably from Amazon as I have credit to use up!

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-best-ssds-for-ps5

I just got the Crucial as it was cheapest - any tests I've seen show the ultra-high read speed ones don't really translate to better performance, and even if there is something like that I can put it on the internal.

32 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-best-ssds-for-ps5

I just got the Crucial as it was cheapest - any tests I've seen show the ultra-high read speed ones don't really translate to better performance, and even if there is something like that I can put it on the internal.

Excellent cheers. I have the Crucial one in my Desktop :)

I presume I'll need a heat sink for it?

26 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Excellent cheers. I have the Crucial one in my Desktop :)

I presume I'll need a heat sink for it?

Yeah, Amazon sell them too, if you look at the frequently bought together section you'll see one.

And so!  Rather randomly i spotted a PS5 Digital Edition in cash convertor today for 300 pounds on the nose.  I buckled :)   

The bloke said there was no pad with it, but upon checking there was!! and they honoured the price. 

and have almost downloaded GT7 now. Hooked on those classics :lol:

Apart from getting a new SSD thingy at some stage - is there anything quirky i need to know about the PS5  or not?

Whats the deal with avoiding stick drift? Both my controllers I got on launch day have developed left stick drift at the exact same time, one of them ran my caharacter off a cliff costing me 160k runes in Elden Ring to make matters worse. I'm presuming theres no easy fix I can do on it & just have to pony up for another controller that lasts 18 months?

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Whats the deal with avoiding stick drift? Both my controllers I got on launch day have developed left stick drift at the exact same time, one of them ran my caharacter off a cliff costing me 160k runes in Elden Ring to make matters worse. I'm presuming theres no easy fix I can do on it & just have to pony up for another controller that lasts 18 months?

Happened to me last week, 18 days after the warranty expired. Sony weren't interested but fortunately Amazon helped. Could try some of the methods online but YMMV

1 hour ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

They just wear out so don't think you can. You can replace the pots inside if you are skilled with a soldering iron and taking them to bits. Just wear and tear I guess and old school tech (pots inside are cheap carbon track components). Sure they could design something much more durable but well that won't sell controllers when they fail just out of warranty. I think the components they use on the sticks are rated at ~417 hours use which at say in 6 hour gaming sessions is around 70 sessions. Which thinking about it isn't that much. So at what £50 per pad = 0.78p per session! :D

https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/dualsense-sticks-have-a-lifespan-of-417-hours-claims-ps5-drift-investigation/#:~:text=According to the information sheet,stick down) is 500,000 cycles.

Still in the grand scheme of things not bad value I guess.

3 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

It sounds a bit curious that they’ve both developed it at the same time, is there any sort of recalibration thing in the PS5 OS in case it’s just that rather than hardware?

6 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Perhaps you could try spraying electrical contact cleaner into the stick mechanism?

Might just be heavy carbon deposits and debris gunking things up.