PlayStation 5 | Play has no Limits in 20 Days

13 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Yeah, it’s going to be tight either way. The drive adds 12mm to the actual box height according to official specs, but if you look at the renders the overhangs the side of the base so I think the effective height of both with base will be the same. That would give me about 20-25mm available for base adjustment before I need to start thinking about drilling custom shelf mounts.

It really is a box only a Cerny could love. :facepalm:

Don't you want (i.e. need) to have some decent clearance all around it for airflow though?

Anybody got any experience of adding gift cards to a Pre-Order? I’ve got a Pre-Order with Amazon and I’m shite with money, what I was planning on doing is buying £500 worth of Vouchers on payday, is it as simple as just applying them to a Pre-Order? Is there any cons to doing this?

Thanks all

1 minute ago, CovisGod said:

Anybody got any experience of adding gift cards to a Pre-Order? I’ve got a Pre-Order with Amazon and I’m shite with money, what I was planning on doing is buying £500 worth of Vouchers on payday, is it as simple as just applying them to a Pre-Order? Is there any cons to doing this?

Thanks all

I think you would buy the vouchers on one transaction and then go into your PS5 order and change the payment type to voucher.

1 minute ago, CovisGod said:

Thanks all

You should just be able to do it by changing the payment type.

32 minutes ago, Zombait said:

I really do like how MS have designed the Series X, it's almost as if they had engineers and designers working together. Whereas Sony just laid it all out in a rectangle, saw it resembled Original XB One and slapped on some wings in a half arsed attempt to hide the similarity. It's really shocking how bad PS5 looks, they've been working on it for years and this is the best they could come up with? WTF! It better be fucking whisper quiet, there better be an awesome cooling system there as a pay off for this monstrosity.

While all this is entirely subjective, the assertion that the Series X is some kind of sleek, incredible piece of design wrought from collaboration and teamwork is a pretty astounding one to make.

It's a box. A big box.

That Series S though? Lubberly.

29 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

Capture.JPG.85782ff983ee4ae6a9d333fa6842a7ea.JPG

Whenever I see an image of this machine it sill catches my breath just how mind bendingly awful it looks. It'll need a serious redesign, or at the very least a black option, before I'll even think of getting one as seeing this on a daily basis would be offensive. It'll probably need some games too.

Fuck alone knows what they were thinking.

8 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

While all this is entirely subjective, the assertion that the Series X is some kind of sleek, incredible piece of design wrought from collaboration and teamwork is a pretty astounding one to make.

It's a box. A big box.

it’s a cuboid designed to have one big fan at the top which draws air through, and to be really easy to put together with a great big heatsink in the middle. If it works, then it’s probably about as efficient as it gets in a console form factor with this wattage. It’s unfortunate that it’s 6 inches wide, but that means big fan, which means it can run much more slowly for the same amount of airflow.

The PS5 is a team of designers trying to desperately to hide that it’s a very big box, through the use of many vents, intakes, bits of curved plastic etc. I wondered at first whether the curves had some kind of function, but it’s clear from the photos that they’re just there to look “slimming” from the front.

15 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

It's a box. A big box.

That Series S though? Lubberly.

The strange thing about both Microsoft consoles is the lack of any LED lights. 

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

Sounds like that HD is going to fill up fast once you put a few games on. Not much point in USB external shortage as you will lose the speed, is there much talk about Sony upgrades for that? Maybe a line of plug in external stuff with the fancier drive?

External storage for PS4 games, which I’m using already. 
PS5 games on the internal SSD should have a smaller install footprint rather than on a mechanical drive. 

2 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

External storage for PS4 games, which I’m using already. 
PS5 games on the internal SSD should have a smaller install footprint rather than on a mechanical drive. 

Latest size reports are putting the new Spidey game at over 100GB. That's a fair chunk of space from the included drive.

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Don't you want (i.e. need) to have some decent clearance all around it for airflow though?

I think it should be okay. The top surface is just the curved white plastic so there isn't any air going in/out of there (unlike the Xbox One), and I actually got the shelf width wrong, it's a 60cm shelf so I'll quite a bit more space either side which is where I assume the air flows mainly from with this design. I'll also have about 10cm clearance behind and I run the consoles with the door open on the TV unit so it's just that top right hand side that will be a squeeze (if it fits at all).

I don't have anywhere else for it to go to be honest so I'm going to have to make it work.

Sorry if this has been covered (it's become quite a fast moving thread) but is there any word on what indie games are coming to PS5, either for launch or shortly thereafter? With PS4, Resogun was arguably the standout title at launch, yet I don't see anything like that or anything from indie devs at PS5's launch, which I think is a shame.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Whenever I see an image of this machine it sill catches my breath just how mind bendingly awful it looks. It'll need a serious redesign, or at the very least a black option, before I'll even think of getting one as seeing this on a daily basis would be offensive. It'll probably need some games too.

Fuck alone knows what they were thinking.

I’m not hugely fussed usually but there is something about the PS5 that screams Cash Converters. It looks like it belongs in one of their cabinets. It’s one of those things that catches mens’ eyes in second hand shops as a generic piece of tech that ends up being a Hoover attachment or sandwich maker or something. 

7 minutes ago, Pockets said:

I’m not hugely fussed usually but there is something about the PS5 that screams Cash Converters. It looks like it belongs in one of their cabinets. It’s one of those things that catches mens’ eyes in second hand shops as a generic piece of tech that ends up being a Hoover attachment or sandwich maker or something. 

Incased in a glass fronted cabinet with no price tag. 

14 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Sorry if this has been covered (it's become quite a fast moving thread) but is there any word on what indie games are coming to PS5, either for launch or shortly thereafter? With PS4, Resogun was arguably the standout title at launch, yet I don't see anything like that or anything from indie devs at PS5's launch, which I think is a shame.

I think Bugsnax and Jett are still coming at launch, Kena has been delayed unfortunately. Keep an eye out for Housemarque's Returnal, which isn't a launch game but will probably be launch window.

Returnal.gif

Just now, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I seem to be in the minority... but I quite like the design of the PS5... :ph34r:

It's kind of cool. Dare I say the best looking console Sony has ever made?

12 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Incased in a glass fronted cabinet with no price tag. 

There's a tag on it, stuck on with industrial adhesive that will never fully come off, but it's on the side and you can't see it. It looks to be within £10 of RRP. There's some biscuit mush in a vent.

I don't really hate the design myself but I can see why people do. I'm of the opinion that consoles should look a bit silly and playful. My fave is probably the Japanese MD (only Japanese though) and that's not exactly grown-up and sensible. 

I think it's more the size, combined with the design, that's causing the issue. If it was smaller I don't think people would mind - more router and less air purifier.

28 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

I haven't seen anything particularly reminiscent of Resogun, but indie announcements are pretty regular. A non-exhaustive list: BugsnaxCris Tales, Haven, Heavenly Bodies, Hitman 3 (hey, it counts), Jett: The Far Shore, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Little Devil Inside, Maquette, The Pathless, Recompile, Solar Ash.

By all accounts PS5 is very easy to develop for, so I don't think independent developer uptake will be an issue.

1 hour ago, footle said:

it’s a cuboid designed to have one big fan at the top which draws air through, and to be really easy to put together with a great big heatsink in the middle. If it works, then it’s probably about as efficient as it gets in a console form factor with this wattage. It’s unfortunate that it’s 6 inches wide, but that means big fan, which means it can run much more slowly for the same amount of airflow.

The PS5 is a team of designers trying to desperately to hide that it’s a very big box, through the use of many vents, intakes, bits of curved plastic etc. I wondered at first whether the curves had some kind of function, but it’s clear from the photos that they’re just there to look “slimming” from the front.

I'm putting my digital PS5 behind the TV where I'll never see it. I think it's completely impractical to put it anywhere else.

At least a Series X I could put in a plant pot or something.

8 hours ago, Theholyhogg said:

Me too,for me its what a game console should look like

Yeah, I love it. It's bold and has that tech from the future vibe about it. As others have said, I just want it to be quiet, but I'm more than happy with the look of it. I'm actually warming to the horizontal look too. For the disc version in-particular, the horizontal look integrates the disc drive a little better.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 | Play has no Limits in 20 Days
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5: Launch is 19/11/20 - UI Video Released