PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ

32 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I am looking at both the PS5 and Xbox One X and thinking that it’s too early. Normally at this point I would be hyped beyond belief but aside from the excitement of unboxing and experiencing new hardware I just can’t feel any hype, and this is speaking as somebody who bought a Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS4 on the day of release because I just couldn’t wait.

I don’t know if it is the state of the world changing my judgement, the mid-generation refreshes or the fact that the current machines still wow me, but new consoles just don’t feel necessary yet. Am I alone in feeling this?

I think before a console felt too long in the tooth by the time a replacement was wanted. You could see the frame rates creaking or the pop in get worse or games just trying to up the fidelity but having to cut back on other areas. But this current generation especially you don’t notice that. The next Forza game looks great and is at 60fps or the new spiderman has a huge world with practically zero pop in. When you saw the next generation games they looked like a huge leap up, even in tiny magazine screen shots. But the next series of games which yes we haven’t really seen but also kinda have (ray traced battlefield on pc etc) won’t be a huge step visually when looking at photos or videos on a phone screen. 

It doesn’t help that there really isn’t any new tech or ideas to get excited about (yet) stuff like street pass, using a camera with AR on cards to bring them to life, being able to record game content and share it. All stuff that rarely is as good as the idea sounds but is exciting.

24 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I am looking at both the PS5 and Xbox One X and thinking that it’s too early. Normally at this point I would be hyped beyond belief but aside from the excitement of unboxing and experiencing new hardware I just can’t feel any hype, and this is speaking as somebody who bought a Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS4 on the day of release because I just couldn’t wait.

I don’t know if it is the state of the world changing my judgement, the mid-generation refreshes or the fact that the current machines still wow me, but new consoles just don’t feel necessary yet. Am I alone in feeling this?

I would normally be excited for the potential but so much of it seems to be channelled toward shinies, and Noita has hammered home just how little they matter to a great game. Not that Noita doesn't look great, but it is simple pixel-art.

This will all change at the first frames of Elden Ring gameplay, but for now thrill levels are mild.

Normally I wouldn’t be too bothered for the reasons described by posters above. Plus I’ve still got games from this gen I want to play.

But my ps4 makes the noise of a jet engine and my disc drive broke 4 weeks ago.

So bring it on.

5 hours ago, Haribokart said:

I am looking at both the PS5 and Xbox One X and thinking that it’s too early.

I’m looking at an Xbox One X under my telly right now. My uncle works at Redmond.

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

i'd say its a bit early to declare how unexcited you are... until we see some actual, you know, next-gen games.

Always makes me laugh when people declare they’re not excited for a new movie before a trailer has come out. 

No shit!

We've seen both controllers and the system logos. Enough has been shown to define the entirety of the next generation goddamit

I'm really interested that lots of people seem so underwhelmed by the focus both machines, but particularly PS5, have on loading times.

I fell in love with consoles partly because they were so different from PCs and so utterly focused on gaming. The use of cartridges and the speed you could get into a game was a huge part of that for me. The simplicity and immediacy were wonderful. And being a parent, the sheer grind of swapping between games or loading a new one up is a huge waste of my very limited gaming time. I know it sounds prosaic, but I can't wait!

I personally feel like more shinies, higher res and lower load times doesn't warrant a day 1 purchase when ultimately the games are likely going to be the same as you can get on X1X / Ps4.

I'll also wait to see how GeForce Now and Stadia are panning out by then; I'd expect Cloud Gaming to be able to push more shinies than games you can run locally on consoles plus on Stadia there's the potential for games that can't even run locally.

5 minutes ago, Hass said:

I personally feel like more shinies, higher res and lower load times doesn't warrant a day 1 purchase when ultimately the games are likely going to be the same as you can get on X1X / Ps4.

I agree and I do think it's time for a new "creative era", along the lines of PS2/DC/Xbox era with games such as Katamari Damacy, Shenmue, Shadow Hearts et cetera. Playing Forza 10 or Horizon Zero Dawn 4 is just not appealing to me anymore.

11 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

i'd say its a bit early to declare how unexcited you are... until we see some actual, you know, next-gen games.

If some of us are excited, then surely some of us can be unexcited. No?

I wasn't too bothered about buying into the next-gen early due to the fact, as others have said, there are still plenty of games on this generation of machines I've yet to play.

However, my PS4 Pro does sound like it is trying to take off at times and the thought of being able to play TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima without having to turn the TV up to eleventy-stupid (and therefore waking up the house at night) is an exciting proposition.

Along with all those new 1st party titles, natch.

I would be excited if it sounded like all this power had been used somewhere interesting like enemy AI for example.

For FPS - It feels like we haven't made much progress since Halo/Fear, in some cases it feels like it's been dumbed down.

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

I would be excited if it sounded like all this power had been used somewhere interesting like enemy AI for example.

For FPS - It feels like we haven't made much progress since Halo/Fear, in some cases it feels like it's been dumbed down.

The Division. The AI in that game was super smart.

I still have far too many games to play on current gen to worry about next gen anyway. Just buying into the X last year was enough for me for the time being as my old eyes are happy playing that.

Also, most of my gaming time is increasingly taken up by Nintendo games like Animal Crossing or indie games. The shinies aspect, whilst nice just doesnt always cut it with me these days. Almost get sick of these "uber realistic" looking overly bloated open world games now, it's nice to play some charming, stylised and short games every so often.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Fully agree. I'd rather have AI improvements than further high-res graphics.

5 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

The shinies aspect, whilst nice just doesnt always cut it with me these days. 

This is a good point. I notice the graphics for a few minutes and then stop noticing when playing the game.

I enjoy playing Witcher on Switch just as much as I do on my PS4.

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

This is a good point. I notice the graphics for a few minutes and then stop noticing when playing the game.

I enjoy playing Witcher on Switch just as much as I do on my PS4.

I always cite Link to the Past, doesnt matter what gen it is, it at least gets one playthrough and never ages, truly an amazing game.

I do think that games get better all the time but in recent generations it seems more to do with gradual evolution in game design and developer tools rather than step-changes from having access to more power. Two of my top 3 from this generation are in basically last-gen ports (Metal Gear Solid V and Breath of the Wild). Most of the best games that simply could not be done on the previous generation came later. This isn't universally true, of course - Shadow of Mordor is often cited, and came out less than a year after the PS4/XB1.

In this respect I think MS's policy of supporting the XB1 with their first-party releases is quite shrewd. High-quality games that really utilise the power of the new consoles are probably a couple of years away at the very least, given the time it takes to make AAA games that exploit the latest tech. It does make a certain amount of sense to accept the first year or two of a new generation as a cross-gen period. I've no doubt MS have studios beavering away on XSX exclusives, pencilled in for late 2022 and beyond.

Last time round the new-gen exclusives we got in that launch window were mostly pretty naff, on both consoles. By far my favourite memories of the last launch period come from third-party cross-gen games like Assassins' Creed Black Flag and Battlefield 4.

I'll still be getting the new consoles at launch, but I fully expect the first year at least to mainly consist of high-res, quick-loading 60fps versions of games I could've played on my XB1 or PS4.

For the first time since the Dreamcast I find myself contemplating a launch day purchase and I think it’s mainly because I recently bought a 4K OLED (thanks to a dream holiday cancellation) and want something truly SHINY to play on it. 

I’ve loved playing Control on my PS4 slim but I know I’m missing a lot of visual fidelity by not having a Pro, so be it Xbox or PlayStation I’m looking forward to witnessing the future of interactive entertainment come Christmas this year. 

Yeah, I'm lucky as a racing game fan that there are still big things we haven't really been able to do that each generation gets us closer to. A proper LeMans simulation for one, still never been done.

I remember on the lead up to Xbox One and PS4 I was hoping and praying it meant someone could come up with decent collision systems for armour and weapons. So if you have a sniper rifle strapped to your back it clonked against your body/other guns/bags/whatever because it pissed me off games could look beautiful and yet you'd still get them clipping through your player model.

Nope.

31 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I remember on the lead up to Xbox One and PS4 I was hoping and praying it meant someone could come up with decent collision systems for armour and weapons. So if you have a sniper rifle strapped to your back it clonked against your body/other guns/bags/whatever because it pissed me off games could look beautiful and yet you'd still get them clipping through your player model.

Nope.

indeed, armour that wasn’t just a texture would be nice.

Watching bronze plate deforming because the character model Is breathing is an immersion breaker.

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Nope.

I know it depends on what specific game you're playing but, given that in most video games you are carrying what would be a fucking huge sack/lorry load of stuff around with you, wanting just one of your available guns to clunk against something seems a bit pedantic :rolleyes:, albeit I get your point from an immersion point of view. Slightly ironically the game this gen that I think has the best physics by far is Zelda BotW on the switch, leaving most (all) the PS4 stuff I've played for dust. Good physics isn't necessarily down to having the most oomph.

Just give me Horizon 2 on release day and I'll get the PS5 on release. Also my release day PS4 Pro is now a turbine engine, I just want something quieter.

Just now, Stolly said:

I know it depends on what specific game you're playing but, given that in most video games you are carrying what would be a fucking huge sack/lorry load of stuff around with you, wanting just one of your available guns to clunk against something seems sa bit pedantic :rolleyes:, albeit I get your point from an immersion point of view. Slightly ironically the game this gen that I think has the best physics by far is Zelda BotW on the switch, leaving most (all) the PS4 stuff I've played for dust. Good physics isn't necessarily down to having the most oomph.

No, I don't want to see everything, what I mean is whatever they decide should be on your back or what you're carrying should interact physically with the rest of the model. 

On Modern Warfare for instance the stocks on the LMGs clip through the characters bicep when they're stood posing. It's shit like that that annoys me.

Obviously what they should be concentrating on is getting 60 frames as standard, seeing as we're asking for the moon on a stick.

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

No, I don't want to see everything, what I mean is whatever they decide should be on your back or what you're carrying should interact physically with the rest of the model. 

On Modern Warfare for instance the stocks on the LMGs clip through the characters bicep when they're stood posing. It's shit like that that annoys me.

Obviously what they should be concentrating on is getting 60 frames as standard, seeing as we're asking for the moon on a stick.

Monster Hunter was terrible for this but I gave them a pass as there were thousands of combinations of armour and weapons. Not ashamed to admit it affected my load out choice though.

Street Fighter 5 vs screen where the character hair intersected through their default clothes though? Shit. Try harder.

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 | 10 Days - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Pob pinned this topic
  • Pob unpinned this topic