Jump to content

PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, layten said:

I think the last time fill rate (I cant even believe somebody would pick that hill to die on :lol: ) was of any concern was some time back in the early 2000's. Time to add some sad faces to that notebook.

 

I didn't think we had seen a detailed block diagram of either GPU yet that gave detailed enough information (there are still debates over the XSX having either 80 or 64 still).

 

It's been confirmed as 64 ROPS and fill rate isnt the only area where the PS5 GPU has a 20+% performance advantage over XSX, given they are the same architecture its a perfectly valid comparison to make, fill rate is still more relevant than teraflops when measuring performance :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

fill rate is still more relevant than teraflops when measuring performance :lol:

I'm going to stop responding to your posts now as it is increasingly obvious you have little to no idea of what you are talking about.

 

Edit: The first person I have ever decided to go full ignore.

Edited by layten
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, layten said:

I'm going to stop responding to your posts now as it is increasingly obvious you have little to no idea of what you are talking about.


Thanks, I was kind of hoping you were going to stop posting your bullshit drivel anyway, you’re the type to talk over people without knowing the facts.

 

Anyway, back to that PS5 22.5% performance advantage in multiple metrics, don’t get too excited, the Xbox One X had a higher advantage in all those same metrics (except fill rate where PS4 pro had a 40% advantage) but in real world performance didn’t punch its weight vs the Ps4 Pro but Layten is right I’m sure, he knows what he’s on about he’s got 8 graphics cards in his pc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marlew said:

Arsed about the other shit. 

Exactly, all the flops in the world are nothing without games, and currently Sony have the better launch line up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:


I dunno as it’s part of the velocity engine and will be in the dev tools while you’re quoting raw figures with zero overheads and cpu in burst mode to cope - Sonybhave got some decent on paper I/O speed with no details of how it can be used in the real world unlike MS who have demonstrated it - even if you don’t like that look at how a vodka are doing the same on the 3xxx series cards!


That’s an odd thing to say about the PS5. Sony laid out the entire data transfer pipeline, including custom data priority schemes, hardware processing of next-gen texture compression standards, expected practical bandwidth and how the system will translate data commands for consistency between the bespoke solid state memory on the motherboard and generic PC SSDs in the expansion bay, in the very first tech briefing, before Velocity Architecture was even coined. We know almost exactly how developers are going to use this in practice and have benchmarks for how it’s going to perform in real loads.

 

Could people please stop getting their ideas about how these consoles stack up from forums and Twitter?

Link to post
Share on other sites

whilst Snoop Dog (who hasn't been relevant since 2004) was taking time off shilling for Just Eat to shill for xbox, Sony have signed up Travis Scott (who's taken time off from shilling for McDonalds). 

 

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/travis-scott-playstation-nike-dunk-low-release-date-price/

 

If those trainers get released, parts of the internet (the thirsty hypebeasty men part) would explode

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

If I plan on only putting PS5 games on the internal drive should I use an external HDD or SSD for PS4?

 

Is there an appreciable difference in loading times when using an SSD on PS4?

 

Digital Foundry did some tests and an SSD for your last gen games makes a big difference over a standard external HDD.   Have a look on their youtube channel.  The tests are on an Xbox Series X bu the same results should apply to PS5

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

whilst Snoop Dog (who hasn't been relevant since 2004) was taking time off shilling for Just Eat to shill for xbox, Sony have signed up Travis Scott (who's taken time off from shilling for McDonalds). 

 

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/travis-scott-playstation-nike-dunk-low-release-date-price/

 

If those trainers get released, parts of the internet (the thirsty hypebeasty men part) would explode

Has no-one noticed that the swoosh has been applied the wrong way on the left shoe?

 

Concerned of Surrey.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

whilst Snoop Dog (who hasn't been relevant since 2004) was taking time off shilling for Just Eat to shill for xbox, Sony have signed up Travis Scott (who's taken time off from shilling for McDonalds). 

 

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/travis-scott-playstation-nike-dunk-low-release-date-price/

 

If those trainers get released, parts of the internet (the thirsty hypebeasty men part) would explode

 

SIze 44's being the only size available for authenticity,

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wretcherd said:

They're also merging the PS App with the messages app. Although that sounds like a forward step.

 

Didn't they split it a couple of years ago? Always sounded like a daft move at the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Has no-one noticed that the swoosh has been applied the wrong way on tthe left shoe?

 

Concerned of Surrey.

that's the thing the cool kids like to do now, its the new wearing your jeans back to front.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

Anyway, back to that PS5 22.5% performance advantage in multiple metrics, don’t get too excited, the Xbox One X had a higher advantage in all those same metrics (except fill rate where PS4 pro had a 40% advantage) but in real world performance didn’t punch its weight vs the Ps4 Pro

 

eh.  There were multiple mutl-plat games that ran at a higher res or framerate compared to the PS4Pro.   I'd imagine it'll be a lot close this time round but to pretend there were negligible difference in PS4PRo and Xbox One X multi platform titles is a bit washing over the facts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Alex W. said:


That’s an odd thing to say about the PS5. Sony laid out the entire data transfer pipeline, including custom data priority schemes, hardware processing of next-gen texture compression standards, expected practical bandwidth and how the system will translate data commands for consistency between the bespoke solid state memory on the motherboard and generic PC SSDs in the expansion bay, in the very first tech briefing, before Velocity Architecture was even coined. We know almost exactly how developers are going to use this in practice and have benchmarks for how it’s going to perform in real loads.

 

Could people please stop getting their ideas about how these consoles stack up from forums and Twitter?


I was going by what I read a couple of months ago when a tech site were saying the xsx has a better I/O throughput due to hardware compression where nobody knew how the Sony software based compression would affect its throughput even if it was running on some fishy core - I did watch the Cerney lecture and only get 16% of my tech analysis from Twitter! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Not to be too disrespectful but this is like when NASA started to be able to dump raw astronomical images on the web and there was this big demographic of people who were less interested in listening to experts who knew how to interpret the photos, than getting in to discussions on forums about how this blob was an alien spacecraft hiding next to a solar flare or that triangle is a pyramid on the moon.

It's definitely a Borg cube. Assimilation would be a fitting way to end out 2020.

image.png.328670a3c30347b182d77a6b8e0593c9.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I realise launch consoles are long gone but what’s the best bet preorder wise for getting one of these in the next wave? Have Sony said anything about stock allocation post launch? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never went deep on the features (and I have an Elgato and PC software anyway), but I still found PS4's ShareFactory great for when I just wanted to isolate a bit of footage and throw it on Twitter or wherever. Importing media from USB sounds cool (as long as you import stuff that won't trigger the ContentID cops... :D )

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2020 at 13:01, the_debaser said:


Doesn’t really look any different to the PS4 Spider-Man game. Will probably still be chock full of QTEs and tedious auto lock on fighting. 


Not nearly as tedious as your posts in any thread that isn't about Nintendo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vemsie said:


Not nearly as tedious as your posts in any thread that isn't about Nintendo.


Probably being a bit unfair on Spider-Man. At least it gave you the option to turn off QTEs. Every game should do that, or ditch them altogether. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 | 10 Days - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.