PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ

2 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Personally I find it all fascinating. Do keep posting this stuff, most of us are adult enough to not let it descend in to console warz. The leading and most sensible theory I saw was MS went for RDNA2 parity to make the XSX to PC port much easier. Sony took a different route as they do not have that as part of there strategy. 

Cheers Quexex. That's an interesting theory though and would make sense. Opting for custom solutions would be no small extra investment of time and resources on Sony's part though, when AMD had comparable features ready to go. I'd really love to hear Cerny talk more about this stuff with the Digital Foundry folk and hear what his thinking was on these decisions.

2 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I reckon it is that the Series S isn't that much worse than the X.

Yeah, you could be right.

We’re getting so close to launch now, I can see MS giving us plenty of stuff next week, then Sony the week after. Exciting times!

3 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Ubisoft posted something on their website about BC with certain games:

https://ubisoftconnect.com/en-US/news/ignt.23726/all-you-need-to-know-on-cross-progression-and-cross-play-with-ubisoft-connect/

So is there more games that won't be BC?

AC Syndicate would have been a game I would have revisited to take advantage of faster everything. So that sucks.

Not that it was ever as bad as AC Unity...

3 hours ago, layten said:

I'd recommend the Beyond3d forums next gen hardware thread for anyone really interested in the technical nuts and bolts of both these machines.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/next-generation-hardware-speculation-with-a-technical-spin-post-gdc-2020-xbsx-ps5.61641/page-218

I’ve read some of that and my word it’s incredible to read so many people with so much knowledge that goes way over my head - is there a google translate for it!?

I actually forgot that I had posted PS5 wasn’t rdna2 and Xbox series was a while back and got shot down..... I got the scoops!

That Spider-Man load time is incredible, if next gen just had fast load times it would be worth it!

12 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I’ve read some of that and my word it’s incredible to read so many people with so much knowledge that goes way over my head - is there a google translate for it!?

I actually forgot that I had posted PS5 wasn’t rdna2 and Xbox series was a while back and got shot down..... I got the scoops!

That Spider-Man load time is incredible, if next gen just had fast load times it would be worth it!

Wasn't there that Dev that posted about it on twitter and got death threats a month or two back? 

I'd love to see how the conversations go with the console manufacturers and the GPU manufacturers when they're talking what features they want from their current hardware and are effectively either asking for an existing chipset or a sub selection of features.

"yeah, we'll take VRR and your RTX Lite please, hold the DLSS, that part of your chip if too expensive"

27 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Load times are officially a thing of the past. Wow.

You can see why they might not have bothered worrying about quick resume.

Will be interesting to see what it does for your typical PS4 title. With all the middleware and dev logos to sit through you might wish for it there more, ironically.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Yeah, you could be right.

We’re getting so close to launch now, I can see MS giving us plenty of stuff next week, then Sony the week after. Exciting times!

And you learned a new acronym today. Good times.

21 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Wasn't there that Dev that posted about it on twitter and got death threats a month or two back? 

I'd love to see how the conversations go with the console manufacturers and the GPU manufacturers when they're talking what features they want from their current hardware and are effectively either asking for an existing chipset or a sub selection of features.

"yeah, we'll take VRR and your RTX Lite please, hold the DLSS, that part of your chip if too expensive"

A senior graphics programmer at Sony I think, he said he considered it “RDNA 1 plus some stuff” because it lacked the full RDNA2 feature set. (Semantics?) I think it was the guy who popularised the Sony engineer who got the death threats, not the engineer himself.

Sony really should have been ahead of this, in the olden days we would’ve had Ken Kuturagi explaining why AMD’s VRS was a load of shite and Sony’s solution patented was better, souring the corporate relationship before the machine was even on sale. But at least they would’ve had a clear message on it that was less potentially negative than “PS5 isn’t current gen AMD graphics”.

4 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

The news going around is that it’s only missing DirectX features MS wouldn’t let them have, but is even that obvious PR line verified by Sony?

Unless it's some specific piece of chip design that they worked on with MS I'm not sure how they could restrict it. You can access the full functionality of a DX12U GPU in Vulkan.

Yeah, it didn’t make much sense to me either. It (DX 12 support) basically boils down to Microsoft requiring that RDNA2 has a specific feature set and letting AMD stick that badge on there.

Christ. Has there ever been a more uninspiring upcoming next gen when this is the talk every time I visit the threads one of one these new consoles.

At least it’s not chatter about backwards compatibility I suppose. 

Sorry I’m just feeling a bit down.

I just want something that can play the latest (good) games on something that doesn’t sound like a jet engine in shinier graphics. Was hoping to pick one up before Christmas, but maybe I should just stick with current gen and stop teasing myself for the time being.

11 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Yeah - shame there are no good games

Ubisoft have retracted their backwards compatibility post. Marvin could play assassins creed Syndicate to get his London fix rather than watchdogs?

2 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

You can see why they might not have bothered worrying about quick resume.

Will be interesting to see what it does for your typical PS4 title. With all the middleware and dev logos to sit through you might wish for it there more, ironically.

I don’t get this line of thinking. Yes it’s fast (crazy fast in fact) but it’s still a completely different experience to quick resume. I can see why they might not think that’s worth the reserved disk space (hopefullly optional) or solving technical difficulties but as a user the idea of quick resume (rest mode style) between titles is something I like very much. So much better than limited activity entry points or main menu launching (however snappy). I’m also not sure in the end that loading times on XSX will be much different. Anyway, another ‘interesting’ area for DF and others to compare on reviews.

6 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Ubisoft posted something on their website about BC with certain games:

https://ubisoftconnect.com/en-US/news/ignt.23726/all-you-need-to-know-on-cross-progression-and-cross-play-with-ubisoft-connect/

So is there more games that won't be BC?

I think there will be others and the community will find some. I think Sony’s wording has been weird. 99% of titles work. Hers 9 (sic) that don’t. Is that 1% of the PS4 catalog? Then the statements about make sure you try your games to check they work (or work well enough for you maybe) before buying DLC. I’m not saying lots won’t work or that it’s really a problem but I just think Sony don’t know. Most will but cover themselves because the emulation/BC mode isn’t a perfect replica.

Edit: Interesting if Ubi have retracted. Amazing if publishers of major titles like this don’t know the story around their own titles.

I wonder if my local Game will do a midnight opening? I guess in these strange times it's unlikely but I can hope. It's all we have right now, hope that our new game boxes will bring some light to this bleak COVID winter.

But think in 19 days we could be sat basking in the glow of the blue LEDs, the whisper silence of its fan as we grip the controller with wonder while playing Astro Bot for the first time :)

• gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 | Play has no Limits in 19 Days

Astro Bot is definitely going to be the first game I play when mine arrives and I've played around with the UI for a bit. Once I've completed that it'll be Demon's Souls with a few levels of Sackboy here and there when I need something lighter to play. Miles Morales does look good but I can wait for that one, realistically it wouldn't get much of a look-in if I got it at the same time as Demon's Souls.

7 hours ago, Quexex said:

I wonder if my local Game will do a midnight opening? I guess in these strange times it's unlikely but I can hope. It's all we have right now, hope that our new game boxes will bring some light to this bleak COVID winter.

But think in 19 days we could be sat basking in the glow of the blue LEDs, the whisper silence of its fan as we grip the controller with wonder while playing Astro Bot for the first time :)

Ok, I know this probably makes me a terrible person, but I am getting a little concerned about how the new mooted lockdown could effect those picking up consoles on launch day.   I’m wondering whether to try and change my delivery option to home delivery, but don’t want to do anything that could lead to them accidentally cancelling the order. Anybody in a similar situation, or are people being pragmatic, sanguine and just generally more grown up about this than me?

10 minutes ago, sammy said:

Ok, I know this probably makes me a terrible person, but I am getting a little concerned about how the new mooted lockdown could effect those picking up consoles on launch day.   I’m wondering whether to try and change my delivery option to home delivery, but don’t want to do anything that could lead to them accidentally cancelling the order. Anybody in a similar situation, or are people being pragmatic, sanguine and just generally more grown up about this than me?

They said a while ago that anyone with a preorder will be contacted if they have to close, to make alternative arrangements. So no need to worry. As long as they don't screw something up.

[edit]

Sorry, thought I was in the Game thread. Not sure what others are doing, but I'm sure anyone reputable, and Game, will try to arrange something.

Gah, in Belgium we've just gone into lockdown for six weeks, so (and yes, first world problem for sure) no PS5 for me until December 14th. At least that's the assumption, it's possible we'll all be contacted to arrange pickup or delivery but who honestly knows at this point.

3 hours ago, joffocakes said:

If you have PS Plus you'll also have Bugsnax.

I haven't had it for a while because I very rarely play online games and I was never playing the PS+ freebies anymore. Not sure if I'll restart it once the PS5 gets here. 

That's a point though - I can't remember if you need Plus to access the online features in the Souls games or not. If you do then I'll probably resub at least for a month or two.

You will need PS+ for online Souls. I’ll be getting an account for the first time especially for that reason. It was something I always meant to get round to doing when I played Dark Souls 2 over lockdown, but never did because of miserliness. A big regret.

Even though I never partook in much jolly co-op in Dark Souls Remastered on Switch, I liked seeing all the other players ghosties and bloodstains about the place, and being invaded was often a bit of a buzz. The few times I did jolly co-op was great fun too, but since it was my first Souls game, I never really dabbled too much for fear of letting the side down with n00bishness. Now I’m much more open to getting stuck in. 

Ah fuck, the need is getting stronger, like I’ve got to post in the wanted folder, over in trading, to offer to buy someone’s preorder with a £50 sweetener or something. 

I’m a horrible junkie...

still the first step is to admit I have a problem.

#FOMOisReal

17 hours ago, JPL said:

Have you got a link to this? I wouldn’t mind reading about the differences they’ve found between the PS5 and Series X. I can’t see it on their site.

It was right at the end of their most recent video where they gush over the controller and give us what little information they can.

at the 19 minute mark 

Its could be anything though

• Eighthours changed the title to PlayStation 5 | 10 Days - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ
  • gospvg changed the title to PlayStation 5 - See OP for link to Ultimate FAQ