rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

That's white. You can see it where the light is actually on it.

• Empathy 1

On 21/05/2020 at 23:07, bear said:

Stating the obvious but there are very few games or genres that wouldn't be improved by faster load times. I'm dipping my toe into Tekken 7 at the moment and the load times are just long enough to be irritating.  

If next gen means that Tekken 8 goes from the character select screen to starting a fight in less than 3 seconds then both consoles will be a bargain. 

More than 4 seconds and they can get in the fucking bin. 

Nioh 2 deserves a mention here. Absolutely minimal loading times throughout.

Helps that the game is amazing as well.

3 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Good cos that white one was urgh,black looks beautiful.

Maybe the white version was a concept model?

It doesn’t matter what it is, I’m always up for new console releases :) 

• Upvote 2

When's that on for UK then, 9pm on a Thursday night?  Not bad...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Reynard said:

When's that on for UK then, 9pm on a Thursday night?  Not bad...

Yep 9pm.

They'll never show the console before launch. It'll come in a black box with no picture on the outside. Nobody knows what it looks like until the first customers open it.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, PC Master Race said:

"This means all PS4 games received by Sony for testing after the middle of that month are technically forwards compatible - playable on Sony's next-gen console - though it is up to each game's developer to ensure this is the case."

huh...so...sony forcing devs to do something that microsoft actually does...not a great look.

Does this also hint that backwards compatibility isn’t built-in and will be on a case-by-case basis for games that have already been released?  Bit like 360 back-compat was on the One at first?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Does this also hint that backwards compatibility isn’t built-in and will be on a case-by-case basis for games that have already been released?  Bit like 360 back-compat was on the One at first?

I think they’ve already confirmed that. Cerny mentioned something about them going through game by game and they had plenty already working.

Anyone care to speculate on what games we will see on the 4th June?

Just now, Ghosty said:

Horizon 2 probably.

Maybe a teaser of God of War 2?

Parappa the Rapper redux.

I would imagine that the BC thing is just to avoid the embarrassing situation where this year's big PS4 game doesn't work on everyone's PS5 at launch day due to some random glitch. Back in the day I imagine that they spent a fair bit of money making sure FF9 etc. worked on the PS2, for example.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Knack 3: Return of the Knack.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I would imagine that the BC thing is just to avoid the embarrassing situation where this year's big PS4 game doesn't work on everyone's PS5 at launch day due to some random glitch. Back in the day I imagine that they spent a fair bit of money making sure FF9 etc. worked on the PS2, for example.

Why did Cerny say they had hundreds working (or something along those lines) in his boreathon the other week? It certainly felt like they were having to do a bit of work for every game. Although maybe that’s what MS’s BC team are having to do as well.

Just now, PC Master Race said:

Knack 3: Return of the Knack.

Mark Cerny helped with the sequal on the PS4, if I remember correctly.

Just now, JPL said:

Why did Cerny say they had hundreds working (or something along those lines) in his boreathon the other week? It certainly felt like they were having to do a bit of work for every game. Although maybe that’s what MS’s BC team are having to do as well.

I thought he said they were testing the games? When the original, BC PS3 came out they had ever-expanding lists of all of the games with issues and what the issues and work-arounds were.

Mark Cerny showed this image during his talk. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bf2cf77393de1a64cbdb1db7028568da.jpeg

The only reason for doing that is that those gaps are meant to say PS3, PS2 and PS1. Do we think they have backtracked on that or are they going to announce 4 generations of back-compat next week? So far their messaging has been way less clear than Microsoft so it will be interesting to see if they clear that up. 

• Upvote 1

Ah, here we go...

"Running PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro titles at boosted frequencies has added complexity," Cerny said. "The boost is truly massive this time around and some game code can't handle it. Testing has to be done on a title-by-title basis."

So they're checking that the games work, and presumably either making a list of titles with issues, encouraging publishers to create patches, incorporating shims in to the PS5 OS, or some combination of the three.

3 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Mark Cerny showed this image during his talk. 

image.thumb.jpeg.bf2cf77393de1a64cbdb1db7028568da.jpeg

The only reason for doing that is that those gaps are meant to say PS3, PS2 and PS1. Do we think they have backtracked on that or are they going to announce 4 generations of back-compat next week? So far their messaging has been way less clear than Microsoft so it will be interesting to see if they clear that up. 

I thought it was shaped like that to emphasise that it didn't have previous generation hardware lurking around in there in the "bottom", this is the preceding slide:

image.png.fcf496888ce02235b4c0ff43f0b2e53f.png

• Upvote 2

To be honest it just looks like a presentation knocked together by a junior account handler, without any consideration for why the box is that shape, other than they thought it looked cool.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

To be honest it just looks like a presentation knocked together by a junior account handler, without any consideration for why the box is that shape, other than they thought it looked cool.

A junior account handler? Console chipset design?

In any case when you see the previous slide it’s super obvious the layout has nothing to do with a tease of extra stuff to come.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

A junior account handler? Console chipset design?

I meant the design of the presentation, not the console. :doh:

46 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Bloodborne 2 obviously!

• Upvote 1