rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

1 hour ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Any chance the event will happen this week do we think?

I can't see them wanting to dilute the marketing message for TLOU 2, so probably not until that's been out for a week or two.

7 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

I can't see them wanting to dilute the marketing message for TLOU 2, so probably not until that's been out for a week or two.

Early July I reckon.

• Upvote 1

I think the event will happen this week, probably Thursday. As no one's attending they don't need to give much notice and the longer they delay it the more it impacts future scheduling, both for Sony and – more contentiously – any third-parties. For example, we're probably going to see footage of the new Call of Duty and I'm sure Activision wouldn't be thrilled at putting that on ice for weeks.

• Upvote 1

For me if all PS5 games looked the same as now but with near-instantaneous loading I would be in. The SSD is the most exciting change in my opinion. I do a lot of my gaming with headphones plugged into the controller so I’m also very interested to see (hear) what they’ve done with 3D audio. I’m assuming there will be a reasonable level of PS4 back-compatibility as that might affect my choice to upgrade but if most of my library can come across then I’ll be getting one as soon as I can. 

• Upvote 3

Oh boy I sure can't wait for the Ridge Racers Remastered announcement. It is bound to happen.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gigawatt said:

For me if all PS5 games looked the same as now but with near-instantaneous loading I would be in. The SSD is the most exciting change in my opinion. I do a lot of my gaming with headphones plugged into the controller so I’m also very interested to see (hear) what they’ve done with 3D audio. I’m assuming there will be a reasonable level of PS4 back-compatibility as that might affect my choice to upgrade but if most of my library can come across then I’ll be getting one as soon as I can. 

Wonder if they’ll support Sony wireless headphones? Too much latency?

41 minutes ago, df0 said:

Oh boy I sure can't wait for the Ridge Racers Remastered announcement. It is bound to happen.

Ridge Racer 8

Namco should get the band back together and smash out a true sequel. I’d probably cry. 

• Upvote 4

PlayStation UK Facebook page has the reveal announcement down for the 11th now too. 9pm UK time. 

Really glad it's pre-recorded, no need for it to be cutting live to someones room. 

2 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

I’m assuming there will be a reasonable level of PS4 back-compatibility as that might affect my choice to upgrade but if most of my library can come across then I’ll be getting one as soon as I can. 

Just to clear this up, as there's a lot of misinformation out there, the PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4 at a hardware level. In other words, it can downclock its components to run almost all PS4 games as they would on actual PS4 hardware.  (I say "almost" because there could be a handful of exceptions, like the PS1 games that didn't work on PS2 despite it effectively having a PS1 in it.)

Beyond this it can also run PS4 games without downclocking itself. This is where Sony needs to test things on a game-by-game basis, as the massive performance difference between the two consoles could potentially cause code to break if it was specifically written for a PS4's level of performance. I'd guess that the vast majority of games will work just fine on a full speed PS5, but they need to check for issues in case they can be addressed either via something in the system software or a patch to the game itself.

In terms of the benefits of running the game on more powerful hardware, this'll vary from game to game. For example, Sekiro runs at an uncapped framerate hitting ~35fps on a PS4 Pro: playing on PS5 should see this boosted to a solid 60fps. Similarly games that utilise a dynamic resolution – which entails lowering render resolution of a game to maintain its performance target – should reliably hit the highest bound of its resolution range, e.g. 4K. The effect of the SSD is more of an unknown but it should lead to significantly faster load times and perhaps the elimination of loading stutter you can get when games are streaming in new data; Jedi: Fallen Order would be a recent offender.

There's also scope for developers patching PS4 games to make better use of the PS5 hardware, but until Sony talk about this it's all a bit speculative. I imagine they'll detail all their backwards compatibility plans at some point, albeit probably not this Thursday.

• Upvote 8

Can’t wait. Hope there are a few surprises in there.

30fps? :( Just leaves lots of tedious arguments on the table.

Poncy audio ? :)

If the rumours about a Bloodbourne remaster are true then I think would be completely tone-deaf from Sony, no matter how much goodwill people have for the game itself.  Charging for a remaster which would presumably offer the exact same benefits over the PS4 version that Microsoft are promising as standard over their entire catalogue wouldn't be a great look.

Ah, I can see this discussion has already been had over the previous pages.

1 hour ago, bumgut said:

Headphones? Will they demo some cool 3d audio tricks?

That's what I read.

4 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Ridge Racer 8

Namco should get the band back together and smash out a true sequel. I’d probably cry. 

RAAAAAY TRACEEER!!! Ray Tracer...

• Upvote 3

I hope all this fancy audio stuff they’re doing works well with surround sound setups, because there’s no way I’m wearing headphones when I play games.

You'll be fine — it's not changing acoustics, just offering way more power for on-the-fly calculations. It'll be the minority like me with stereo speakers who won't benefit (though I'd use buds for relevant online gaming).

2 hours ago, footle said:

30fps? :( Just leaves lots of tedious arguments on the table.

Expect a Digital Foundry series where they break down every single framerate hiccup that drops below 30.

4 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Ridge Racer 8

Ridge Reightcer.

• Upvote 1