rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

I think the console design being hideous might be a stroke of genius. Everyone is talking about it and it’s so memorable. If normal people see another black box they ignore it, but after the initial “what the fuck is that thing” it’s very memorable. 

1 minute ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

what's the small port below the USB one?

USB-3.0 to allow for charging of DualShock 4.

USB-C below it to charge the DualSense.

55 minutes ago, Pob said:

I get what you're saying, but if that's the case why did they make RDR2? Very story-focused and expensive with it. It'll never do GTAV-level business, but is still extremely profitable and relatively low-risk. GTAVI would definitely be many times more profitable and even lower risk, even with a RDR2-style single player component.

Because they wanted an online business for their other franchise and to cover off what I'm about to say.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Makes total sense from a business perspective, but it’ll be a shame if we never get another proper single player GTA.

The problem they've got is eventually that money train ends, eventually it'll go off since everything dies.

And then they're fucked because of the lead time of a new GTA.  So they have to be working on the next thing if they want to survive.

I'm just catching up with this shite, since I've had less interesting things to do like sleep and go to work :blah:

From what I can gather the news is:

Bizarre design 

No price 

No date 

No launch titles 

Best game is an 11 years old Souls remix 

Anything I've missed? 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

And then they're fucked because of the lead time of a new GTA.  So they have to be working on the next thing if they want to survive.

I just don't think that's remotely true anymore. WOW is still expanding the base game over a decade on. Bungie have recently decided that even doing Destiny 2 was a mistake, and pledged to keep supporting it rather than doing Destiny 3. If you're making call of duty and need to shit out a £60 game every year sure, but GTA always had an incredibly long tail, and it seems like if what you're making is a constantly expanding online game then you're better off expanding and refining the same one that releasing a new one, slapping a number on it and assuming it will do as well as those sequels did fifteen years ago.

27 minutes ago, Broker said:

It's a big boy:

PS5Size.thumb.png.1e2296cde8670e30531ba3f8324cdd19.png

PS4 is such a great looking machine. I didn't even mind the PS5 but the more I look at it agains the PS4, the more I dislike it. Also why no "SONY" or "PS" logo on the front of the black bit which will be facing people.

10 hours ago, mdn2 said:

The PS5 exclusive stuff I'm interested in:

Demon's Souls Remastered

Stray

Little Devil Inside

And other stuff:

Resi VIII

Hitman III

Pragmata

Solar Ash

Trouble is, none of the exclusive stuff is out at launch, so I guess I can hold off for a while.

Sir little devil inside is actually coming to the *checks notes* PC, PS4, Xbox One and uh, Wii U. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ldi/little-devil-inside

5 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

PS4 is such a great looking machine. I didn't even mind the PS5 but the more I look at it agains the PS4, the more I dislike it. Also why no "SONY" or "PS" logo on the front of the black bit which will be facing people.

Do you think Lian Li will make an aquarium side panel for PS5?

Sir they promised me a Wii U Edition and I will have my satisfaction.

The following is less my thoughts on the launch and more a response to the hype train positivity that surrounded the games shown. I'm not going to comment on the console design. 

Positives for me was it was good to have most of it dedicated to game trailers rather than talking. Also I liked the variety of games on show and several of them looked interesting alongside the big hitters. However...

1. As always, breaking it down, actual exclusives were in the minority with the majority of games being available on other platforms. 
  2. Out of those exclusives not many had actual release dates.
  3. Also, whilst most of them looked nice I would say the only BOOM exclusives were Demon Souls and maybe Prokect Athia. (For the record I loved the look of Destruction All Stars) All the others either have 'decent' potential (Ratchet and Clank) or 'Who the hell knows' potential (Sackboy). Not sure where I put Horizon in that. I think it will be good but again, its hard to say how good it will be and at the end of the day its a sequel with pumped up graphics. 

None of that is to say they didn't do a good job but being older and cynical I am definitely harder to please as I can't get excited about how good things look. Microsoft, with their new studio family, have the ability to match the above combination of new IP and the reliable big hitters. I mean Halo is a total unknown of course. 

What is known though is that every Microsoft Studio game will essentially come in the box with the Series X. If you want 3 launch games with the PS5 its going to cost you an extra £150 no matter how good or duff they turn out to be. I can't get over this as an advantage. 

MS still need to put in a strong showing next month and match last nights show pound for pound but I would say thats possible, even probable looking at what was shown. 

List of Sony Exclusives

Horizon - Excited by this. Looks great and they were right to end on it. Time will tell if they get caught up in the shinies too much

Gran Turismo - Meh

Ratchet and Clank - Past games have been solid. Would expect the same. 

Spiderman - Not for me but I can see why people would be excited for more (Looks like an expansion though) 

Demon Souls - Megaton

Project Athia - Potential

Returnal - Potential 

Sackboy - I mean, who knows 

Godfall - I mean, who knows

Destruction All Stars - Looked great but I mean, who knows

I'm hoping they go toe to toe as it would be nice to have an even contest this time. Sony have a big lead out the gate though so it's gonna be tough. 

Edit: I forgot about Stray which is a PS5 exclusive? ( I don't count PC in that) - Put that in the 'Interesting but could be shit' camp. 

Edit edit: Missed a few more I know but I still stand by saying that whilst there are a good few exclusives I hope MS have a similar number to announce that are ready for launch or in development. Guess we will just have to wait and see. 

41 minutes ago, Broker said:

It's a big boy:

PS5Size.thumb.png.1e2296cde8670e30531ba3f8324cdd19.png

It's also a photo designed to make it look smaller - see how the other two consoles are shown side on - which has the effect of increasing their apparent width, whereas the depth of the PS5 seems to be a "hidden" measurement at this point.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Yiggy said:

The following is less my thoughts on the launch and more a response to the hype train positivity that surrounded the games shown. I'm not going to comment on the console design. 

Positives for me was it was good to have most of it dedicated to game trailers rather than talking. Also I liked the variety of games on show and several of them looked interesting alongside the big hitters. However...

1. As always, breaking it down, actual exclusives were in the minority with the majority of games being available on other platforms. 
  3. Also, whilst most of them looked nice I would say the only BOOM exclusives were Demon Souls and maybe Prokect Athia. (For the record I loved the look of Destruction All Stars) All the others either have 'decent' potential (Ratchet and Clank) or 'Who the hell knows' potential (Sackboy). Not sure where I put Horizon in that. I think it will be good but again, its hard to say how good it will be and at the end of the day its a sequel with pumped up graphics. 

None of that is to say they didn't do a good job but being older and cynical I am definitely harder to please as I can't get excited about how good things look. Microsoft, with their new studio family, have the ability to match the above combination of new IP and the reliable big hitters. I mean Halo is a total unknown of course. 

What is known though is that every Microsoft Studio game will essentially come in the box with the Series X. If you want 3 launch games with the PS5 its going to cost you an extra £150 no matter how good or duff they turn out to be. I can't get over this as an advantage. 

MS still need to put in a strong showing next month and match last nights show pound for pound but I would say thats possible, even probable looking at what was shown. 

List of Sony Exclusives

Horizon - Excited by this. Looks great and they were right to end on it. Time will tell if they get caught up in the shinies too much

Gran Turismo - Meh

Spiderman - Not for me but I can see why people would be excited for more (Looks like an expansion though) 

Demon Souls - Megaton

Returnal - Potential 

I'm hoping they go toe to toe as it would be nice to have an even contest this time. I think Sony have a big lead out the gate though so it's gonna be tough. 

Your Sony Exclusives should maybe include their Console Launch Exclusives - they're really meaningful around launch. At the same time, I'd ignore the fact that all of them are also playable on PC, because the overlap between people who've PS5-level powerful enough PCs who are also looking at a launch PS5 must be tiny.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, footle said:

Your Sony Exclusives should maybe include their Console Launch Exclusives - they're really meaningful around launch. At the same time, I'd ignore the fact that all of them are also playable on PC, because the overlap between people who've PS5-level powerful enough PCs who are also looking at a launch PS5 must be tiny.

Fair point. I had not even looked at those. I will have to look into that. I agree that a period of exclusivity can be pretty handy. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moz said:

image.thumb.png.c21d6575733177132abf011fa1ceb27a.png

I can't get over the size of it there. Like Andre the Giant. 

Also, you won't know for sure until you see it but its hard to see how the plastic won't seem tacky in contrast to the sleek look of the Series X material (assuming its similar to the One X material) 

Having a few time limited exclusives around launch kinda pales against the entire catalogue of your competitor, surely? You just know MS will be going all out to incentivise Series X enhanced patches, it's the obviously play if you're not committing to next-gen exclusive games for a year.

10 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

List of Sony Exclusives

Gran Turismo - Meh

Demon Souls - Megaton

Returnal - Potential 

I'm hoping they go toe to toe as it would be nice to have an even contest this time. I think Sony have a big lead out the gate though so it's gonna be tough. 

Aren't Astrobot, Little Devil and Oddworld also exclusives? Well on console anyway. Oh Oddworld is also coming to the PS4 as well I suppose. 

9 minutes ago, Moz said:

image.thumb.png.c21d6575733177132abf011fa1ceb27a.png

I don’t think that scaling is quite right . If it is the ps5 controller is going to make the OG Xbox controller look like a joycon . 

2 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I don’t think that scaling is quite right . If it is the ps5 controller is going to make the OG Xbox controller look like a joycon . 

The buttons and sticks aren't that far out.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

I dunno why people ever expected new VR at launch, last gen showed it's absolutely something that needs a big established userbase to survive. I mean it did OK-ish with 100 million consoles out there to sell to, there's no way they would launch it when it's starting from 1, and neither would they want the sticker shock of some $1000 bundle at launch.

It'll be the standard mid-gen add-on, they'll start talking about it at the end of 2022, launch in 2023 and it'll get the usual 1.5 waves of software before going away again.

if not new VR I expect BC (because they told us we will get it) and my old VR headset to work accordingly.

This is like when you think old Sam from Game Of Thrones is a pretty big lad and then you see him next to Hodor

image.png.3f4a055159cf6637d5b07d88b9993242.png

• Upvote 3