rllmuk
Eighthours

PlayStation 5. Sony event on 11 June showed console and games

7 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

We'll see in the end, but John Carmack called the PS5's SSD solution "a big deal" on Twitter and he knows his onions. It seems pretty exciting tech.

It is a huge deal. Forum favourite Skyrim - go try and jump onto a town building directly from an external hill or mountain? You can't - even though in Morrowind you could because loading has been limited to certain degrees. It's incredibly exciting tech and surprised to see the first use case of it demonstrated so wonderfully to be met with such cynicism but hey!

6 minutes ago, Broker said:

Huh. Maybe if they'd shown that it would have had more impact on me, because that sounds great, though that may just be my Destiny loading screen PTSD. It just looked like normal Ratchet and Clank to me, I honestly feel like I've seen that exact trailer at every Playstation launch for the last fifteen years.

I don't think they made a great show of demonstrating it in the gameplay, some of  it looked like "well we can do this now". But combined with the trailer I think we are looking at something far more ambitious and of wider scope , and we will be jumping between entire levels almost instantly.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Uzi said:

It is a huge deal. Forum favourite Skyrim - go try and jump onto a town building directly from an external hill or mountain? You can't - even though in Morrowind you could because loading has been limited to certain degrees. It's incredibly exciting tech and surprised to see the first use case of it demonstrated so wonderfully to be met with such cynicism but hey!

Again, this sounds like a much more exciting. Maybe I’ve got it backwards and R&C wasn’t familiar enough. Maybe a demonstration in a game that’s more ubiquitous like GTAV or Skyrim might have had more impact. The example show just quickly loads a few small bits of areas that could be loaded anyway.

@Ferine That's interesting stuff, thanks. One other thing mentioned there was the suggestion that duplication was taking up 10x the space of unduplicated assets on Spiderman. I'm not sure how representative that is of other games but it hopefully means that despite texture sizes inevitably increasing its will take much more than 3-4 games to fill next gen SSD's. 

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

Again, this sounds like a much more exciting. Maybe I’ve got it backwards and R&C wasn’t familiar enough. Maybe a demonstration in a game that’s more ubiquitous like GTAV or Skyrim might have had more impact. The example show just quickly loads a few small bits of areas that could be loaded anyway.

Yep elder scrolls vi in theory should have no loading screens or gated off locations due to this :)

2 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Yep elder scrolls vi in theory should have no loading screens or gated off locations due to this :)

I doubt we'll be seeing that before 2026. I wonder if Starfield has been built with the incoming tech in mind, given it's sci-fi themed with spaceships and such the implications of near instant loading related to travel is very exciting. Then again Bethesda seem to increasingly surprise in disappointing ways.

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

I doubt we'll be seeing that before 2026. I wonder if Starfield has been built with the incoming tech in mind, given it's sci-fi themed with spaceships and such the implications of near instant loading related to travel is very exciting. Then again Bethesda seem to increasingly surprise in disappointing ways.

Todd Howard E3 2025

"16 times the loading screens" 

• Upvote 5

59 minutes ago, Ferine said:

It's a similar situation for Titanfall 2's Effect and Cause, or Dishonored 2's A Crack in the Slab, with the player switching between their relative position within different versions of the same environment which are loaded concurrently, stacked atop one another. One of the obvious downsides is that you are now effectively keeping two levels' worth of assets in the same memory budget you have for one, so you either have to dial back on the complexity/variety or sink a lot of time and effort into the "smoke and mirrors" of loading airlocks, elevators, corridors, etc.

This is a very good point. Both the levels you mentioned are widely rightly regarded as two of the most inventive pieces of design in recent years, but both are also small scale relative to the games they’re in.

Crack in the Slab is noticeably smaller and less architecturally complex than the rest of Dishonored 2’s levels and Effect and Cause has very little Titan gameplay. 

The SSD tech presents the opportunity to take these concepts and massively expand them. You could definitely build a whole game around that kind of time shift mechanism if you could dial up the complexity of the zones you’re moving between. 

• Upvote 5

Anybody think that Amazon leak of price is a good outliner?

I know it could be total bullshit and it's just a placeholder but I imagine Amazon would be the first company after Sony to know the price. 

6 minutes ago, Ry said:

Anybody think that Amazon leak of price is a good outliner?

I know it could be total bullshit and it's just a placeholder but I imagine Amazon would be the first company after Sony to know the price. 

Until Sony confirm its anyone's guess. 499 makes sense though but I don't see the digital being (£/e)100 cheaper. Maybe 50 to 75.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

This is a very good point. Both the levels you mentioned are widely rightly regarded as two of the most inventive pieces of design in recent years, but both are also small scale relative to the games they’re in.

Crack in the Slab is noticeably smaller and less architecturally complex than the rest of Dishonored 2’s levels and Effect and Cause has very little Titan gameplay. 

The SSD tech presents the opportunity to take these concepts and massively expand them. You could definitely build a whole game around that kind of time shift mechanism if you could dial up the complexity of the zones you’re moving between. 

thing is, they’re interesting pieces of design because they’re different. Once every game has seamless level shifts, perhaps less so.

though God of War, War Some More will be vastly improved by being able to just jump through a portal into whichever other realm, without extensive and lengthy hidden lift sequences.

• Upvote 1

Edge’s Unreal Engine thing this month includes the interesting proposal from one of their engineers that - and I’m making up my own metaphor here - now that your local storage is as fast as RAM used to be, you can use a fast network connection the way we used to use local storage. Have absolutely enormous games with tens of gigabytes of assets available in real time at the player’s location, and potentially unlimited assets coming in off the web for the experience as a whole.

That’s where Flight Simulator is right now, isn’t it?

27 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Edge’s Unreal Engine thing this month includes the interesting proposal from one of their engineers that - and I’m making up my own metaphor here - now that your local storage is as fast as RAM used to be, you can use a fast network connection the way we used to use local storage. Have absolutely enormous games with tens of gigabytes of assets available in real time at the player’s location, and potentially unlimited assets coming in off the web for the experience as a whole.

That’s where Flight Simulator is right now, isn’t it?

A reasonable SSD cache would do wonders for flight sim, but in practice the datasets are probably not large.

Was anyone thinking Forbidden West was anything like a launch title after its showing in the event? I'd thought it was going to be prior to seeing the reveal, but I thought it was pretty clear from that that it was a way off.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Alex W. said:

Digital Foundry on how PS5 developers seem to be using ray tracing based on the videos shown so far. Answer - carefully, conservatively, for the most part.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-playstation-5-ray-tracing-software-analysis

They seem to be taking image quality hits on it as well. DF are gonna be like pigs in shit when these new consoles launch. :lol: 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

They seem to be taking image quality hits on it as well. DF are gonna be like pigs in shit when these new consoles launch. :lol: 

IDGI

• Upvote 1

Ultimately, as a ray tracing evangelist, I came away more than satisfied from the PlayStation 5 reveal - mightily surprised, even.

PC Monster Munch did you skim it looking for something negative or what. 

• Upvote 7

21 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I watched it earlier, I thought it was impressive for such early hardware and software and on the weaker of the two next gen machines, but you could still see where compromises were being made. This one sticking out particularly. https://youtu.be/Azl772uylh4?t=727 You can also see that the denoiser is not quite up to speed yet either and the reduced RT reflection resolution. All things DF love to obsess over which was the point being made.

And Pickled Onion are best Monster Munch.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

it can look amazing, but you know that people will be looking to see what compromises they’re using to get ray tracing to work on both consoles.

Quarter Rez with checkerboarding, raytracing for reflections on dashboards, static objects only?

This is the kind of stuff that DF live for.

I think this is the line in the DF piece that resonated with me the most:

This console generation has used the same kind of faked effects for so long that we've got used to them, and we don't even notice the errors and fakery in many scenarios. 

I mostly just stare blankly at these ray tracing videos unless they’re blindingly obvious God rays or they freeze and zoom 400% into some reflection of a piece of rubble you wouldn’t even notice in gameplay. 

• Upvote 2