IGNORED

Office Politics - The Divine Comedy (Out June 7th!)

NEG

I'm in. Got a ticket to see them in Glasgow later in the year.

As for the double album, to quote the good Mr Hannon, "You can call it a double album if you want (and it is double vinyl) but it all fits on one CD, and I don't think a double download is even a thing?"

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/05/2019 at 17:35, Barnard said:

Just came to post that. About time we had another character/s piece. :)

He always picks the wrong song to single with imo, at least in the last 10 years of albums. At the Indie Disco is so plain compared to the other delights in that album.

Having said that, Queuejumper isn't at all bad.

I'm really looking forward to the new album, it looks like they've still got their musical theatre hats on after working on the Father Ted stage production. 

Queuejumper channels a jolly Patrick Bateman very well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to this, I'm glad that it's coming out relatively quickly after the last one too as it felt like an absolute age between Bang Goes The Knighthood and Foreverland, but then I suppose there was the DLM album inbetween. Have been listening to his older stuff, Regeneration has really grown on me more.

I can't decide what format to buy the new album in. I usually get them on CD, but have gone back to vinyl in the last two years. It's less a case of picking one or the other than picking whether I should get one of the bundles available.

1 hour ago, Butters said:

I can't decide what format to buy the new album in. I usually get them on CD, but have gone back to vinyl in the last two years. It's less a case of picking one or the other than picking whether I should get one of the bundles available.

I was honestly tempted by cassette! Considering I listen to things digitally these days, if I need a physical mcguffin to represent my wuv it might as well be something I actually used a lot as a kid (in my walkman). CD's don't give me the same feels, and Vinyls before my time.

8 minutes ago, NEG said:

I was honestly tempted by cassette! Considering I listen to things digitally these days, if I need a physical mcguffin to represent my wuv it might as well be something I actually used a lot as a kid (in my walkman). CD's don't give me the same feels, and Vinyls before my time.

I was exactly the same! I still have a tape deck, although no idea if it works. And yet...

I think this might be the first Divine Comedy album ever that I’m just not feeling. I was really hoping for a more full on synth pop record, but there’s a bunch of filler and slow plodders that don’t really go anywhere.

’Infernal Machines’ is great though.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying it yet. Not because I still can't decide which format to buy it in (I haven't), but because I think I want to hear more of it first.

Which has never happened before with DC. I'm usually there on release day. I'm not sure if that's a sign of old age, lack of cash, or having liked but not loved the singles released so far.

I may have been overly harsh on this with my previous post. Having listened a bunch more there’s definitely some cool stuff on there, I even quite like ‘Phillip and Steve’s Furniture Removal Company’.

Overall I was just hoping for more of an all-out synth pop effort, a bigger shift in tone, whereas I feel as if it’s more of a regular set of DC tunes with a bit of synth included here and there.

Can’t get enough of ‘Infernal Machines’ though, that’s more of the sound shift I was hoping for.

I've just put it on to give it another listen. Only up Absolutely Obselete, but it's definitely been better on this listen through so far.

Seems to be getting a lot of good reviews. Plus let's face it, I know I'm going to end up buying it. Especially given I'm going to see them later in the year. Only a matter of time!

1 hour ago, Butters said:

I'm starting to feel a bit like @Mystacon - this is really growing on me. I haven't bought it yet, but that's more through a lack of opportunity than because I'm not keen on it any more.

Number five in the UK album charts this week!

Yeah, I feel like a bit of a doofus for my knee-jerk reaction off of one listen.

I still stand by my disappointment of it not being a braver departure from the regular DC sound, but it's a solid effort.

• 2 weeks later...

This album is a joy to listen to. Office Politics, Infernal Machines, Absolutely Obsolete and Life and Soul of the Party are all bangers. 

The Synthesiser Service Centre Super Summer Sale and Philip And Steve's Furniture Removal Company are gloriously weird but the concept stays strong throughout. 

In my mind, a classic. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I keep looking at the remastered boxset, even though I've got all the albums already. I can't afford them at the moment, as we've got a few other outgoings, plus the question mark over everything in terms of the pandemic, but dammit I'm a sucker for these things.

Has anyone pulled the trigger on the new editions or the vinyl?