IGNORED

Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

JPL

1 hour ago, APM said:

In contrast, I fucking love Ragnarok, and I thought having Thor fat for the entirety of this film was one of its bravest choices. I was waiting for the moment when his lightning ripped him back to normality, but no, he's fucking Thor, fat or not, and not because of his toned body andhe's a bit broken from the loss of his home, family and people. I think making him hunky Thor again would have been a huge cop out and I'm glad they made this decision and stuck with it.

It also nicely undermined the need in ever Marvel film for the hunky hero to be topless for at least one scene to show off their amazing six pack. I mean, even Ant Man and Dr Strange had sculpted bodies, FFS.

Fat Thor was a great gag, but they over played the joke. I think they underserved Thor's character in service of comedy. I like have like'd them to focus to on the guilt and loss he felt - out of all the avengers he had lost the most. There was a really nice moment in IW between him and Rocket where he talked about losing his family, his home.

I just realised something. Endgame has now shown the Marvel universe to have technology to allow people to live forever.

Using the quantum realm, just do what they did in testing before Tony showed up: push time through the person. 

If you can control it, people could remain at the age of, say, 24. Forever. 

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

Fat Thor was a great gag, but they over played the joke. I think they underserved Thor's character in service of comedy. I like have like'd them to focus to on the guilt and loss he felt - out of all the avengers he had lost the most. There was a really nice moment in IW between him and Rocket where he talked about losing his family, his home.

Hes a man whose given up and sees no hope, he's lost everything that he was. His home, his family, 75% of his people,  his hammer and now his body. He doesn't care anymore or have the strength or will like he used too. It takes the scene with his mother to snap him back out of it.

What should he have done? Just come straight out of a 5 year pit of depression because they "might" have a chance of saving people. Pretty sure that's not how depression works and you're basically asking Thor to "cheer up"

They played it perfectly fine.

2 hours ago, Delargey said:

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Hes a man whose given up and sees no hope, he's lost everything that he was. His home, his family, 75% of his people,  his hammer and now his body. He doesn't care anymore or have the strength or will like he used too. It takes the scene with his mother to snap him back out of it.

What should he have done? Just come straight out of a 5 year pit of depression because they "might" have a chance of saving people. Pretry sure that's not how depression works and you're basically asking Thor to "cheer up"

Yeah, Thor was great.  The Directors have come out and said that out of all the characters he is the one with the most story throughout the two movies (presumably Downey is second best served).  I didn't really think the fat thing was overplayed in the grand scheme. 

I loved that we are essentially seeing Thor completely broken.  He was verging on being broken in IW but still held hope that he could personally right the situation.  When that failed, and he blames himself most of all due to Thanos comments, he completely loses all faith in himself.  I thought it was a strong powerful storyline that worked well.  It juxtaposes nicely with Stark in that Thor has always had the weight of the world on his shoulders so he does take the consequences of failure personally.  Stark has always wanted to help but he's always been treated as broadly unreliable.  When he helps it is a bonus, it is simply expected that Thor will help. Stark loses in IW but he can personally recover and have a happy life.  Thor's whole being is that he is meant to be the King of his people and protect them and he can't move past that failure. If we'd had happy go lucky Thor in Endgame it wouldn't have been true to his Character. 

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

I just realised something. Endgame has now shown the Marvel universe to have technology to allow people to live forever.

Using the quantum realm, just do what they did in testing before Tony showed up: push time through the person. 

If you can control it, people could remain at the age of, say, 24. Forever. 

I'm a little surprised that someone - say Banner - didn't have a moral dilemma and was all "no one should wield this power" and then smashed the time machine and erased Tony's digital blueprints.

...kinda like in Dark Knight when - at the end - they need some way to find the Joker, so Lucius Fox uses his magic sonar device that means you can find anyone in the city, anywhere, at anytime (convenient!) but he gets all pissy that is is morally wrong (convenient!) so the machine MUST be destroyed so no one can use it again. It's the most obvious written into a corner so lets make a magic device to get us out of it but destroy it so can't be used again! 

It really took me out of the film, and I still really hate that bit. I also find that it seems to get a free pass for some reason.

No one mentions it, and this is in the age of pedantically nitpicking everything - no matter how tenuous the complaint - to death to score internet points. 

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I'm a little surprised that someone - say Banner - didn't have a moral dilemma and was all "no one should wield this power" and then smashed the time machine and erased Tony's digital blueprints.

...kinda like in Dark Knight when - at the end - they need some way to find the Joker, so Lucius Fox uses his magic sonar device that means you can find anyone in the city, anywhere, at anytime (convenient!) but he gets all pissy that is is morally wrong (convenient!) so the machine MUST be destroyed so no one can use it again. It's the most obvious written into a corner so lets make a magic device to get us out of it but destroy it so can't be used again! 

It really took me out of the film, and I still really hate that bit. I also find that it seems to get a free pass for some reason.

No one mentions it, and this is in the age of pedantically nitpicking everything - no matter how tenuous the complaint - to death to score internet points. 

But the time machine is pretty useless.  It can't change your past.  At best you can go back in time and retrieve an object.  You're not about to do that with infinity stones since they have a nasty effect of killing you.  I'm not sure in many previous Marvel films would have ability to retrieve an object from the past really have been that helpful in dealing with the present threat. 

I thought they nerfed the time machine pretty good. 

1 minute ago, McCoy said:

But the time machine is pretty useless.  It can't change your past.  At best you can go back in time and retrieve an object.  You're not about to do that with infinity stones since they have a nasty effect of killing you.  I'm not sure in many previous Marvel films would have ability to retrieve an object from the past really have been that helpful in dealing with the present threat. 

I thought they nerfed the time machine pretty good. 

Oh yeah, totally. I have no problem with the time machine. 

I'm just surprised they didn't do something like that for the people who don't pay attention to the film, who would have a some sort of complaint like that. :)

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

What should he have done? Just come straight out of a 5 year pit of depression because they "might" have a chance of saving people. Pretty sure that's not how depression works and you're basically asking Thor to "cheer up"

That is the opposite of what I meant.

After all Thor's been through it would have been better if they played it a bit more earnst, rather than "look at this drunk dude! His entire family died then he got fat, lol! What a dope he is now!"

Fat Thor reveal was a great gag and the bit with his mum was really nice but too many of his scenes were played for the lols for me.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

On the other hand, it could be argued that those "lols" from Thor added some much needed levity to certain scenes. I too would have preferred him to not be fat for the whole film, but that's because it's kinda heartbreaking to see someone like that let themselves go to that extent. You want them to be better again asap, at least I know I did. 

Plus, him getting the hammer and "Yes! Still worthy!" is quite a powerful message: You are not your physical body, or the alcohol you drink to drown the years of sorrow, you are who you are inside, and that person is still worthy. 

Thor is fucking amazing in both films. 

I think it was a little bit to much 'Fat = Lols' for me personally, just felt a tad lazy. I didn't think that he should magically become fit again, just that him becoming overwight because he lost everything he knew of loved shouldn't have been played for lols all the time.

I get the arc of his character, but would have preferred if to have a tad less comedy so the tragedy had a bit more room. Just my opinion, obviously some people will prefer a different balance.

I don't think it was fat = lols at all really. Yes, there was that initial shock and laugh at what he'd become but after that they never really referred to his weight again for a punchline. It was more that he'd turned into a slob and a mess. It's not like he was shown to be out of breathe or struggling to fit into his suits etc. Is his weight even referred to again other than the initial shot of him in the house?

Yeah, it felt like lots to me...like when the mother told him to eat a salad, nothing wrong that his line per se but it seemed like scene he was in had a joke at the expense of how Thor looks

Like you said "What should he have done? Just come straight out of a 5 year pit of depression because they "might" have a chance of saving people." I think him having justified depression should have being played a little bit straighter.

Again, is personal preference, he just felt a bit  too "whacky" to me, I loved the comedy in the 3rd Thor and think he'll be great in GotG III but just felt that it lacked a bit of pathos to me.

15 hours ago, linkster said:

TBH I groaned the first time I saw the trailer with the "YES! we know each other from work." But there was much worse to come. And poor Cate Blanchett - it was Answer the Call-grade 'comedy'. (By which I mean very talented performers misguidedly required to ad lib to mediocre effect). Though I think ironically Hemsworth is fucking fantastic as Kevin :)

It turns out that there's a seventh infinity stone, where the entire universe's supply of Wrong is concentrated into a single post. But at least we had a good idea where we'd find it.

I just saw this and thought it was very enjoyable, though not my favourite on any particular level. It's probably been covered earlier in the thread, but they never made it feel like half the world survived. It was like only 15 people did. Maybe they were worried that Thanos's plan might look tempting...

One thing that has become obvious is that the audience is crying out for simplicity. This was the critical mass of collected information, and I heard far too many people in the cinema having to remind other people why things were happening.

32 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I think it was a little bit to much 'Fat = Lols' for me personally, just felt a tad lazy. I didn't think that he should magically become fit again, just that him becoming overwight because he lost everything he knew of loved shouldn't have been played for lols all the time.

I get the arc of his character, but would have preferred if to have a tad less comedy so the tragedy had a bit more room. Just my opinion, obviously some people will prefer a different balance.

I find comedy to be Thor's most interesting purpose when we've got so many other Deux Ex Machina Superman characters. It gives him something uniquely his own. And it makes narrative sense that he'd lose his gravitas when he lost his homeland.

2 hours ago, schmojo said:

It turns out that there's a seventh infinity stone, where the entire universe's supply of Wrong is concentrated into a single post. But at least we had a good idea where we'd find it.

Just one place?

you are clearly not a GoT fan

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Yeah I'm a bit confused at people not getting the essential tragicomedy end to Thor's character arc that had been building since Ragnarok.

A child of two could grasp the intent. It’s the execution that’s the issue.

but hey if you are all happy to settle then Disney’s suits called you well. 

3 minutes ago, linkster said:

A child of two could grasp the intent. It’s the execution that’s the issue.

but hey if you are all happy to settle then Disney’s suits called you well. 

Cut down on the obnoxious insult posting.

On 02/05/2019 at 17:22, teddymeow said:

What I found impressive is that despite the loss of half of all life everywhere, despite governments failing and whole cities becoming desolate wastelands that Audi still managed to develop some funky electric powered cars.

You surely can't be suggesting there's some sort of subtle advertising going on there?

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

You're a prick. Pretty sure that qualifies. :coffee:

it definitely qualifies, and of course I’ll expect a ban to follow in due course, otherwise folk will start to think there’s something odd going on that you seem to get away with making personal attacks on people because you don’t like their views on films. Lame as that would make you, it’s patently against the rules, as I am sure you know