Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

JPL

Just now, linkster said:

Seriously want to prolong this? Think that's good moderator behaviour?

I think decent moderator behaviour is calling out shit when I see it. You posted shit and I called you on it. You tried to excuse your post with nonsense. I called you on that. You think that being passive aggressive towards other members is ok. As a mod, I think it isn't. 

Finally made it to the IMAX. You’d think they weren’t going to make any more of these. It’s absurd how far they went with this, like Infinity War managing to boil down the franchise in to a single, comprehensible storyline emboldened them to go absolutely crazy with it.

And yet it worked.

Just got back.  Very little to add other than god knows how they landed it with all the bits they had up in the air.

I don't think its final act as an action movie was as effective as Infinity War.

It's the least action packed action movie I've seen in ages.

Obviously the first pumping fisty fist bits are all good.  A little sad it's all over really 

The more I think about it the more I am amazed with how much was great about it.

I just wish that some of the characters that were undusted had more to say. I get it was all about the end of the OG Avengers journey but I'd have liked more Dr Strange with Tony or the GotG gang.

Is it just me or did Captain America showing up old on the bench contradict their “no changing history, only tangent timelines” rule? I wonder if they wrote that ending without the handing-over-the-torch bit and changed it.

But he’s in the main timeline at the end. Did he invent a way to jump between parallel universes and just not mention it?

If that’s the explanation it makes logical sense but it’s iffy storytelling to not convey any of it on screen. They could at least have him wearing a time travel gadget or something.

Edit - Actually if that’s on the cards can’t they also bring back anyone else who died from a parallel timeline?

44 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

But he’s in the main timeline at the end. Did he invent a way to jump between parallel universes and just not mention it?

If that’s the explanation it makes logical sense but it’s iffy storytelling to not convey any of it on screen. They could at least have him wearing a time travel gadget or something.

Edit - Actually if that’s on the cards can’t they also bring back anyone else who died from a parallel timeline?

Well yeah but then you'd be pulling them out of their timeline in the timeline we know. It'd be like pulling someone out if an alternative reality.

Cap goes back, has a life with Penny which creates a new timeline and then (I'm guessing when she died), jumped back into the original timeline. Remember there were various machines around at one point, so I like to think he came back out of one of them and waited for the moment to pass the shield.

This is the only way I can justify it really.

It would be the same person, but they would have lived part of their life in a parallel timeline, but then come back to the main one.

It’s a perfect ending to the character arc, it’s just an awkward thing to throw on to the movie’s time travel logic. Not that it usually pays to sweat time travel logic.

I wonder if they will just CGI in one of the time GPSes in the Blu-Ray. Or maybe one was always there and I didn’t notice.

I think a lot of people didn’t, and it probably it missed a little something to set it up. It’s logically consistent when it’s explained to you but takes more thought than the rest of the film’s fairly elegant handling of time travel which by rights should have been a complete mess.

Not that it matters a huge deal - like I say, the moment works. And the idea of it being fodder for YouTube plot hole trash like Cinemasins sickens me.

49 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

I thought Captain America had used his last “Pym Particle” to go back to the 1940s to meet up with Carter and had just lived his life out and knew to be sitting there on that date in 2019?

He could hang around for 30 years or whatever and get more from Hank in 1970.

I don’t think they had a shortage of Pym particles anyway, they got a big restock in the 1970s. And Pym himself was back. The issue is whether he wound up in his original reality or a tangent one, and how he returned to his original one in the latter case.

Do films need to spell everything put for everyone though? How many times have you finsihed a film and people have interpreted it differently. This one felt fairly simple to work out in my opinion.

They pretty much make a point that you go off in another direction if you change the past, so Cap has to return to the prime timeline to had over the sheild. He just chooses to do it after having a life with Peggy. If he's had children with her, he resigned himself to never seeing them again.

I know, I was just explaining why it didn’t land for me - and presumably other people - because there seemed some confusion as to why I possibly could be confused by it.

In the grand scheme it’s probably not far off the lack of a sound effect for the bench landing after Hulk throws it. Where do you put it without spoiling the moment?

I’m at page 11 here and working my way through, but I just have to say I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the biggest plot contrivance as I saw it, which was - the whole thing could have been sorted out much more easily if the events of the movie hadn’t taken place on Captain Marvel’s day off. 

Putting to one side the convenience for plot purposes, it did feel like the promise of Captain Marvel as a character and as a part of the storyline in this movie was not fulfilled. In the post credits scene of Infinity War the promise of Marvel as the  saviour was made, when Nick Fury put out the call to her. We then got a whole movie, which was enjoyable in its own right, which teased us on her powers and set expectations; we know she’s coming to save the day in Endgame and we know what she’s capable of. 

In the end, though, the plot was contrived to have her just show up and smash Thanos’ ship at the very end. Yes, they couldn’t have done it without her, and she helped to stop Thanos wear the gauntlet before he twatyed her away... but it was a real shame that was all we got, when there was so much potential for her to play a bigger part. But I get it, she’s just ridiculously powerful and it would have been hard to work her into an enjoyable story that had enough threat and tension without resorting to even more derisory contrivances to hold back her powers, etc. 

All that being said - loved it loved it loved it! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a movie that really managed to successfully and satisfactorily tie together such complex plot strands. The chances of making such a great success of the MCU conclusion must have been 1 in 14 million, but they did it. 

I got the impression from the hologram call that Marvel usually wasn’t in touch, so it’s not exactly a coincidence that it all went down while she was unreachable. And they showed in the finale that powerful as she is, she’s not an instant win.

37 minutes ago, Vespa Alex said:

That felt the right decision to me. We’d had ten years to get to know the characters and craft a storyline, and to have them all be irrelevant because of someone introduced a month ago would have been doing them and the audience a disservice. 

And this is definitely a movie about not giving the audience what they expect. At least until the half-hour-long victory lap at the end.