Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

JPL

I

5 hours ago, schmojo said:

I find comedy to be Thor's most interesting purpose when we've got so many other Deux Ex Machina Superman characters. It gives him something uniquely his own. And it makes narrative sense that he'd lose his gravitas when he lost his homeland.

I think it's because the scene between Rocket and Thor in IW where Thor says "what more could I lose" is on of my favorites, its funny but has real pathos.

Perhaps, the scene with Thor and his mum had this same effect for others, but for me it felt more like a conversation telling someone to get there shit together after being dumped rather than the avenger who literally lost everything he ever loved and spiralled into depression. It just felt a bit light, I think adding the comedy element to Thor was a fantastic move but would have liked more of a moment like the one in IW for him. 

The split over the Thor comedy issue- I have seen this a few times online. And not just Thor- I've seen it in other areas of fandom where there is change in tone from being serious to some form of comedy- again this splits into two groups.

I am firmly in the pro-comedy group. But here's the thing- 10-15 years ago I was definitely in the serious group. What has made me change? Could just be old age I suppose. But in that 10-15 years I have lost several first degree relatives, which understandably has changed my outlook on life. A life's too short type of thing. I'd be curious to know if that sort of change has happened with others.

2 hours ago, drmick said:

The split over the Thor comedy issue- I have seen this a few times online. And not just Thor- I've seen it in other areas of fandom where there is change in tone from being serious to some form of comedy- again this splits into two groups.

I am firmly in the pro-comedy group. But here's the thing- 10-15 years ago I was definitely in the serious group. What has made me change? Could just be old age I suppose. But in that 10-15 years I have lost several first degree relatives, which understandably has changed my outlook on life. A life's too short type of thing. I'd be curious to know if that sort of change has happened with others.

I think that might have been a hangover from TDK trilogy. It kind of reinvented the superhero genre and went more serious over the bombastic stuff. Because that was such a success others took it as the standard whereas as the MCU grew it realised it could mess around between serious stuff and comedy and make it all work.

Look at how DC carried on with the serious grimdark stuff with Superman and how shit that was. 

Watched this 3 times now and the "Avengers Assemble" line, with the music and rush of heroes that follows has made me cry each time. Tonys death too.

Also gotta say, BIG fan of Winston Duke being right up there and prominent on the initial run up.

2 hours ago, drmick said:

I've just done an extensive Google image search of Sonic the hedgehog. Until today I don't think I truly appreciated that he has flesh arms, mouth, belly and legs. And maybe hands and feet too.

So I have some sympathy with the producers there on which of those to un-flesh and turn into either blue fur or white fur.

But the proportions! These have been pretty constant between two different aesthetics:16-bit era and 32-bit era. Why would they mess with that?

Sonic confirmed for phase 4.

Got back from this a few hours ago. Great movie, despite some things I could nitpick to death.

One thing, though... I went to see it in iMax Digital, and the picture was spot-on right up until the big fight at the end - then it was like the resolution got sliced in half, and stayed that way until the end.

Has... anyone else experienced that? It happened throughout the entirety of GotG1 for me, too.

Just a random thought, and perhaps best left until we get the home release to look in detail, but is Stan Lee in the horde of heroes at the very end?

I really don't care about Howard the Duck in the slightest (not sure where his fandom comes from), but a Stan Lee* appearance seems appropriate.

* And Steve Ditko, Jack Kirby,  et al.

2 hours ago, hub2 said:

I really don't care about Howard the Duck in the slightest (not sure where his fandom comes from)

The original Steve Gerber comics, which have a reputation as some of the cleverest stuff Marvel did in the '70s, even though they now look extremely of their time. And more recently, the Chip Zdarsky/Joe Quinones run was very well-received.

Just now, linkster said:

Seriously want to prolong this? Think that's good moderator behaviour?

I think decent moderator behaviour is calling out shit when I see it. You posted shit and I called you on it. You tried to excuse your post with nonsense. I called you on that. You think that being passive aggressive towards other members is ok. As a mod, I think it isn't. 

Finally made it to the IMAX. You’d think they weren’t going to make any more of these. It’s absurd how far they went with this, like Infinity War managing to boil down the franchise in to a single, comprehensible storyline emboldened them to go absolutely crazy with it.

And yet it worked.