IGNORED

Avengers: Endgame - BIG SPOILERS TOPIC - You have been warned!

JPL

18 hours ago, JPL said:

It’ll be available on 4K Blu-ray in a few months AND it’s still on at the cinema, you morally bankrupt scoundrel.

I can only imagine people like BitterToad and AK Bell have never even considered watching something slightly dodgy, let alone actually do it, the upstanding bastions of society that they are.

I work in film advertising, so no, I don't tend to illegally bite the hand that feeds. Also, your analogy is totally wrong. It's more akin to breaking into a car lot, stealing a car, driving it around for the night and returning it in the morning. In theory what you're doing is a completely victimless crime, and as people have said Di$ney don't need the money from the £10 ticket you might have bought if you couldn't just illegally rip a copy and watch it at home. But from the tone of the above post I'm guessing JPL doesn't only download stuff he buys later  and that's when you get into smaller films being nicked and it all starts to get a bit more murky.

Anyway, I won't derail any further, Endgame was brilliant and I cried all the way through it so well done to everyone involved. 

@BitterToad You won’t derail any further after you’ve come in and spouted a load of bollocks about me? Nice get out clause.

Let’s ignore that analogy, eh? I was making light of the post a couple above mine, because it was ridiculous. Now you’ve come along and made an even more ridiculous one!

But the main point here is please don’t assume I pirate everything and don’t pay for my films. I watch a lot of films and generally either go to the cinema (which costs a lot more than £10 for a family of 4), then rent or buy them from various online retailers when they’re out for home release (Rakuten, iTunes, etc). On certain films like this though, yes I do occasionally pirate, but I will have spent upwards of £100 on it when all said and done, so another watch in between doesn’t make me out to be the film industry destroying pirate you’re trying to paint me as.

Oh, and when you say you don’t tend to, does that mean you have never done it or only done it on occasion?

11 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

It's more akin to breaking into a car lot, stealing a car, driving it around for the night and returning it in the morning.

It's not though. It's more akin to going to an open car park, standing next to a car you like the look of and a new one appearing next to it that you take for your own. The original car doesn't get touched.

I'm kinda ambivalent to piracy these days. I pay for a lot of media, I ripped a lot of my CDs and DVDs back in the day, mostly for ease of access, then got rid of the hard copies. But I'll also pirate stuff if I either a) can't find it to buy on a stream or b) don't like the amount being charged to get one item.

I've downloaded a couple of 4K movies because they are not available to stream or are £loads for the disc - which I don't currently have a device capable of playing. I agree that artists should get paid, and I've paid for extras in games that I like purely because I think the developer's should get more for what they've provided.

I think mostly, on the rare occasions I do pirate stuff, it's stuff I'd never have paid for individually - or isn't available anywhere (The Expanse season 3 for e.g.). 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

So, those white Avenger suits. Turns out they didn't exist. Totally CG. With both movies shot back to back, those scenes were shot ages ago. The suits weren't even designed until well into post-production.

https://beforesandafters.com/2019/05/17/those-time-suits-in-endgame-were-all-completely-digital/

Absolutely staggering.

Staggering.

Tilda Swinton says that sling rings let them travel across the multiverse when those are introduced, then when Strange first starts messing with the Time Stone they start giving him aggro about creating unstable parallel timelines by changing the course of events. It's nothing super-specific and perhaps wasn't intentional but it acts as weirdly good foreshadowing.

Yeah the suit thing is mind-blowing, you can't see a single flaw and the lighting is perfect.

Do they use computer programs to get the lighting right or is it done by hand/eye with a little help from a computer?

On 19/05/2019 at 20:00, SuperNashwan said:

Apologies if this was posted already but this is a great interview with the script writers that gives answers to things like what the rules were meant to be for multiple timelines, what thought went into making the second Soul Stone scene narratively satisfying and why smart Hulk sort of comes out of nowhere. Too much good information to call all of it out, just definitely worth a watch even at an hour long.

Thanks for posting. I knew that Hulk was destined to bust out of Hulkbuster in Infinity War! That was probably the first confirmation.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah the suit thing is mind-blowing, you can't see a single flaw and the lighting is perfect.

Do they use computer programs to get the lighting right or is it done by hand/eye with a little help from a computer?

I think they have a lighting setup in the previz and then light the set accordingly.

5 hours ago, Festoon said:

Staggering. Absolutely amazing CG work. Flawless.

BTP2440_v163.1001_hires.jpg

At the viewing distance you’re meant to use, it’s ok. Looking closer, there’s no distortion of the clothing around Downey’s neck which seems a bit odd.

You’d never have guessed though.

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think that’s just his pose. I’m sure they talked about distortion around the neck in the original article. 

Yes, they did. Also partially CGI neck and blending on the skin instead.

Jumping back to the talk a few weeks ago about the funeral scene looking fake even though everyone was there...

(It turns out it's ten years to the day since Karen Gillan was announced as being cast in Doctor Who! :o)

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw this last week as have been catching up on any of the films we hadn’t seen (lots of them) and well I bloody loved it, I didn’t go to the loo and that’s a miracle - can’t remember the last time that happened at the cinema!!

We saw Infinity War a week or so before so the opening of this seemed slow but then it took off and as we walked out I said I’d go straight back in and watch it again - I suspect watching so many MCU films the past month put me in the mood for this film and the call backs and emotional scenes probably hit harder but it was an emotional roller coaster :wub:

Ive then taken about a week to read this thread and it’s been interesting, the film has been in my head ever since we saw it and I really do need to see it again, may sneak another cinema visit in before it ends but will defi be getting a disc of it as soon as it’s out.