Persona 5 Scramble : The Phantom Strikers | PS4 & Switch | Musou P5

I'm about an hour or so into this, so basically just finished the tutorial. Really fun so far, definitely feels like a full fledged rpg. also they pronounce Ann correctly now. None of this 'Onn' shite. 

I only ordered mine yesterday, was hoping to get a promo code but that didn't happen, then I got some back pay from an old job so decided to treat myself, I'll be a little late to the party but that's okay as I want to finish FFVIIR first.

This game is pretty hard, as a musou veteran. Especially in the minibosses, there's so much going on that it always takes me two attempts. And I'm on the first dungeon. 

The music is so good. 

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

Definitely one of the better looking switch games. Probably the nicest looking one that isn’t first party that I’ve seen, come to think of it.

I'm even impressed with it on ps4. It's a smooth 60fps, which isn't a given on this system (with a frame rate/graphics option on the base console, even), and looks pretty nice. Especially when the battles are in full flow. 

The frame rate setting is definitely jaggier but holds 60 much better, so worth it. 

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

Glad you listened to me and got it early :)

Ha! I use Simply loads but always get a bit worried when it’s something I’m really looking forward to.

It's well hard. I'm playing it on Easy, because Musou games baffle me (remember what combo? I can barely see my character), and I'm still getting hammered. SP resources are a real problem though. Given that the game is centred around exploiting enemy weaknesses with your skills it's a bit tight on letting you use them. After one map's worth of fights everyone's out and I have to slope back to HQ to refresh. I'm not convinced the gameplay style suits the more confined arenas to be honest.

Regardless, I'm loving the game. Genuine warm fuzzy feeling just being in the world with these characters again.

Edit: I'm a doofus. Just loaded it up and realised I am playing on Normal :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

It's well hard. I'm playing it on Easy, because Musou games baffle me (remember what combo? I can barely see my character), and I'm still getting hammered. SP resources are a real problem though. Given that the game is centred around exploiting enemy weaknesses with your skills it's a bit tight on letting you use them. After one map's worth of fights everyone's out and I have to slope back to HQ to refresh. I'm not convinced the gameplay style suits the more confined arenas to be honest.

Regardless, I'm loving the game. Genuine warm fuzzy feeling just being in the world with these characters again.

Edit: I'm a doofus. Just loaded it up and realised I am playing on Normal :rolleyes:

The solution to your issue is remembering at least one combo per character :) In this game, the combos make a real difference- some end in a persona skill, and some end in character attacks. Using persona skills in this way is how to exploit elemental weaknesses without using SP. I'm about to open up the second dungeon and not that far in yet, but Persona games typically start with SP being an issue, but after a certain point, this becomes far less of a concern. So this might just be a repeat of that too.

Also, when you say you're only going back to HQ to refresh HP/SP after one 'map', do you mean you're using the checkpoints to do this? This will help if not, and I'd say definitely something to take advantage of every time you reach a new one.

One little bugbear I have with this is that I don't know why the checkpoints don't automatically refresh HP/SP when you touch them- you have to manually exit the dungeon, then go straight back. There's no penalty for this, so why not make it automatic without having to go through the whole process?

It certainly isn't an easy game- I've died twice on normal already, both in the same bit where you're limited to just the main character against masses of enemies. But, you have to use the systems the game presents you with, at least on the normal difficulty setting. It's challenging, especially compared to other musou games, but not frustratingly so.

I find some battles end instantly when I ambush, whereas others with the hard variant monsters can take a little while- there doesn't seem to be much in the middle right now. Sub bosses especially take longer, but they're often fun and give you a chance to dive more into the tactical options available. I'm actually enjoying the hacking battles too, since being on defence changes how you play quite a lot too.

It's certainly way more of a 'Persona' game than a musou game, which I wasn't expecting at all. But that's fine with me. It does suffer from the same pacing/structural issues as most Persona games, with large, solid blocks of narrative between proper gameplay segments. I kinda like spending more time with the gang, but other people might find that particularly frustrating when they're waiting to get back to battle segments.

Yeah, I just had another session and got through the bit that was troubling me last night. I think I need to break out of my compulsion to keep going when it's clear the game wants me to break the missions up into chunks. I have a bugbear about instantly repeating things, so I'm always reluctant to clear an area, head back to home base, then return and clear the area again on my way to the new bit. I guess there are ways to circumvent combat though. It's coming together, and certainly when you have SP to spare the combat is very enjoyable and dynamic. I'll look into the combos though, thanks for the tip :)

You're very much encouraged to swap out your party members regularly when someone runs out of sp. 

Also for basic mobs you don't really need to spend sp generally. You have to think like you're playing a Warriors game or a beat em up for them. 

I am surprised by how challenging it is, the first proper boss gave a good fight. Really need to utilise the elemental weaknesses. 

37 minutes ago, deerokus said:

You're very much encouraged to swap out your party members regularly when someone runs out of sp. 

Also for basic mobs you don't really need to spend sp generally. You have to think like you're playing a Warriors game or a beat em up for them. 

I am surprised by how challenging it is, the first proper boss gave a good fight. Really need to utilise the elemental weaknesses. 

Yeah swapping out is good too, you can do this any time between fights. At first I was a bit overwhelmed by being presented with a whole roster of characters instead of being slowly introduced to them, but you can just equip them all with good gear slowly.

Agree with that first proper boss! It was challenging but not unfair. Some of the regular mob fights can get a bit chaotic at times but everything was clear with that fight and unobstructed. Really had to think about what I was doing rather than just button mashing.

4 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

Honestly, paying attention to the combo ending in a Persona skill has completely transformed the set piece battles for me :D

Haha that’s great! You don’t need to memorise them all, just like one for each character which ends with a persona skill. Usually musou games are far more forgiving with which combos you use, but this is a little different from typical musou games. I’m really loving it!

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

They've changed the Interact button from X to O and someone needs to be arrested.

It's actually worse than that, it's inconsistent. In some instances, like shop menus, X is buy and O is back. Very irritating. 

I'm starting to get the jist of the combat, though those enemies that freeze you can fuck off as it's really hard to see that they're about to cast when they're surrounding by eleventy billion Jack O Lanterns.

I did notice during the second mid-boss that quite often there's an AoE circle of cone on the floor before they attack though, so at least I know why I'm taking so much damage and now it's just a matter of dodging out at the right time.