rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Vorgot

Zanki Zero: Last Beginning

So I'm getting towards what I think is the end of Danganronpa v3 on my Vita, and I spotted this on PSN. Couldn't find another thread on it, and after playing the demo I think it deserves some attention.

It has a very Danganronpa feel, but the mechanics are very different as it's more of a survival/dungeon crawler game. There's the usual ridiculous setup, you can see that in trailer below, but then it becomes more of an Etrian Osyssey affair with a lot of stuff to manage while you dungeon crawl, from base facilities, gear, upgrades, stress levels and even a bladder meter. The PS4 demo is surprisingly generous as well, I'm just over 3 hours in and am not sure when the cutoff will be. Stick the difficulty on the highest available level at the start, which is the recommended level, and the dungeon crawling presents a really nice challenge. The main conceit is that your characters are reborn on death, and start as children before ageing over the next 13 days (which gets extended as you go on). Each stage of life has different bonuses and drawbacks, and managing your characters and equipment as you go round the dungeon is pretty involving. Plus it doesn't seem like enemies respawn, so when you are running back through a dungeon level its not throwing the same mobs at you every time, which is a touch I greatly appreciate, as it makes progress less of a pain.

Might not be everyone, but I love Etrian Odyssey, Persona Q and Danaganronpa, so having a whale of a time with the demo and gutted I don't have the cash for the main game, but am pretty sure it'll be in a PSN sale soon enough. I would recommend anyone to give the demo a go, you'll know pretty well after an hour or so if it's for you or not.

• Upvote 1

It's not by the Danganronpa guy. Kazutaka Kodaka had nothing to do with it.

12 minutes ago, Meh said:

It's not by the Danganronpa guy. Kazutaka Kodaka had nothing to do with it.

My bad, I've edited the title. It's got the producer of the Danganronpa series and the designer though. Yoshinori Terasawa and Takayuki Sugawara. Has a very Danganronpa feel as well.

Yeah, I'm sure it was very intentional, since DR's unlikely to continue, and they need a new cash cow with a similar style.

Just now, Meh said:

Yeah, I'm sure it was very intentional, since DR's unlikely to continue, and they need a new cash cow with a similar style.

Yep, completely agree, and I hadn't looked too closely into who developed it beyond the blurb saying it was from the Danganronpa team, so apologies if anyone was misled! Saying that, it's seems to me like a good game in it's own right, and the demo is definitely worth a look

The blurb itself is a bit misleading. I'm sure it's a cool game. I'll get it when it's cheaper. I went through several months of playing nothing but Dangan. Best fucking time ever.