rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

9 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

what no-one seems to mention is that my hot sweaty face doesn't instantly fog up the lenses like it did with the Rift

Ooooh I still get that!!   It happens when the lenses are cold.   The lenses heat up quicker in the Quest due to the tech inside, but there's no magic at play other than physics. 

I thought there was a very low power cooling fan blowing into the headset? Sure I read that somewhere. Anecdotally, my lenses haven't fogged up at all despite my Saber exertions, though my specs do fog up a bit.

4 hours ago, bridger said:

I’ve just worked a right sweat up trying to compete with @robdood and @jonamok on hard mode Balearic Pumping. Not quite there yet but I will be soon!

I was trying to beat one of Robdood's scores last night, and after getting a PB I turned to the leaderboard, in a lather of sweat, to find that I was literally 1 point behind. 1 fucking point out of 180,000. I pissed myself laughing.

Then I got my breath back, went back in and promptly topped it by over 20,000. Ha! Fucking have it!

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I was trying to beat one of Robdood's scores last night, and after getting a PB I turned to the leaderboard, in a lather of sweat, to find that I was literally 1 point behind. 1 fucking point out of 180,000. I pissed myself laughing.

Then I got my breath back, went back in and promptly topped it by over 20,000. Ha! Fucking have it!

giphy.gif

I was going to have a rest tonight as my arms are fucking knackered!!  Curse you. That was literally the only #1 score I had!

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, jonamok said:

@Slartibartfast What’s your tag?

peteclarkelondon 

Someone add me please, I have no friends :( On the Quest at least. Need to figure out how to change my username too, now that I live on Vancouver Island, not London! Totally up for some online at some point if we can make the time difference work. 

9 hours ago, robdood said:

This happens when you do big movements, it's a bit weird, there's obviously some kind of coded rule to it that on really fast movements it always flashes up guardian.  I find doing the stationary guardian is better for Beat Saber. 

Thank you, that’s good to know. 

Anyone else find themselves thinking about suitable large play spaces when out and about. Even though I have a decent space for Roomscale (about 12 x 8.5 feet) I REALLY WANT to play in a big indoor area. But where I live (which is pretty remote to the next town) the only spaces I can think of are the School Gym or the community centre hall. School Gym isn’t an option so may investigate being the community hall. This might get expensive. I’m just convinced there must be somewhere I haven’t thought of yet. Might have to get on the local trading post and see if anyone has a big garage they are not using. What’s the biggest anyone here has been able to play in and how was it?

Probably 20ft square outdoors area playing Journey of the Gods. It was too light, so the tracking was iffy, but the fresh air and the ability to physically walk around in this virtual world was bloody amazing. I too have designs on our village hall...

Yeah seems to be. Lots of people, me included are experiencing them. A reboot should sort it temporarily and Oculus say it’s a software problem that they’ll roll a fix out for soon. 

18 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

How do you get photo avatars? I’ll be on after 10 I’d anybody wants to co-op kill some zombies...

What game is that? 

On 23/05/2019 at 07:41, ryanm said:

I'm finding the casting to be ropey, bordering on pointless. Casting to phone just shows a black screen for me, and the chromecast option fails to start about 95% of the time. When it does get going the stream lags by about a second, doesn't work at all in beatsaber, and the goggles display an annoying red dot that should apparently be in the corner of the screen but is actually pretty close to the center of vision.

The feature is marked as beta though, so will undoubtedly improve.

Is anyone else having a better time with casting? 

One of these quibbles might be down to some wonkiness in my home wifi - casting to my phone worked without issue on different network. No sound, but not really any appreciable lag either.

On 26/05/2019 at 08:29, bridger said:

Have just sent you a request. I’m xRichardTx. 

Do you work in game development? I see we share a mutual friend

3 hours ago, SteveH said:

Do you work in game development? I see we share a mutual friend

No I don’t:...is it zubysan you mean? I assumed it was someone from here when I saw him on your list last week when we all started swapping usernames, so I dropped him a request too. 

I had been beginning to wonder if I’d made a mistake when I’ve not seen the name pop up in the discussions over the last few days though.

28 minutes ago, bridger said:

No I don’t:...is it zubysan you mean? I assumed it was someone from here when I saw him on your list last week when we all started swapping usernames, so I dropped him a request too. 

I had been beginning to wonder if I’d made a mistake when I’ve not seen the name pop up in the discussions over the last few days though.

Oh :D Yeah he has been on this forum very infrequently, but I know him from outside of this place. He won't mind you adding him though mate :)

• Upvote 1

What’s the best way of washing the foam mask bit without ruining it? It’s alright for now, but much more Beat Saber and it’s going to start getting a bit minging. 

20 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

What game is that? 

I mean the little disc that’s associated with your gamertag. I’ve made an avatar, but it’s a person like on Xbox - I just mean the little picture.

6 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

I mean the little disc that’s associated with your gamertag. I’ve made an avatar, but it’s a person like on Xbox - I just mean the little picture.

Sorry, I meant which game is killing zombies!

6 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Sorry, I meant which game is killing zombies!

Ha! Drop Dead dual Strike. It’s a pretty good fun House Of The Dead rip-off. It does have a co-op mode I’m keen to try, but I’m not sure if anybody here has it :)

19 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Ha! Drop Dead dual Strike. It’s a pretty good fun House Of The Dead rip-off. It does have a co-op mode I’m keen to try, but I’m not sure if anybody here has it :)

I have it!!! But there’s an 8 hour time difference but hopefully we can make it work at some point. Especially if you get up at 4am :D

21 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

How do you get photo avatars? I’ll be on after 10 I’d anybody wants to co-op kill some zombies...

The photo avatar is picked up when you connect to your Facebook account. It chooses the pic you have as your profile pic on Facebook, so make sure it is a picture you like as it is a pain in the arse to change it.

I wanted to change mine, but changing your profile pic on Facebook doesn't update it. Apparently you need to install the full Oculus app on windows and then choose new avatar pictures from there.

• Upvote 1

The real revelation for me with the Quest has only really become apparent after a few days of owning it. And it’s the fact that is shares the ability to have a quick play just like my Switch. 

For my lifestyle it is just perfect. With the Rift I had to carve out time l, go and sit on my office. Deal with PC issues (even though I had a high end graphics card etc). Then I would super sample. Tweak. Tweak some more. Reboot. And then my short window to game was over!!!

So anyone browsing this thread in a similar position then it may be time to jump into VR. I have two kids including a 6 month old,with just short windows to play or I am completely exhausted by the time the kids are asleep and I’ve had dinner. With the Rift (or to a lesser extent the PSVR) I could never then be bothered with the faff most of the time. 

With th the Quest I can have a 15 minute go of Beat Saber whole dinner is being made. Or if my wife is watching a reality show I can be kicking ass in Superhot. Even better if the two of us are in the same room I don’t have to isolate myself behind headphones (although if I’m alone I would for maximum immersion). This means that if I’m needed, if the baby is crying or even to just have a chat then this is very doable. 

TLDR: it’s amazing for pick up and play fun as you can be up and running in seconds almost anywhere. Then it’s very easy to pack away small and keep away from sticky 3 year old fingers. Yes, it doesn’t have the fidelity in terms of graphics and power but that portability and ease of use is pretty damn awesome. 

• Upvote 5