rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

19 minutes ago, Strafe said:

As a PSVR owner, is there anything for me here? It’s more powerful but games wise nothing jumped out at me.

i have PSVR as well its a nice companion but not essential. I love it though and its so easy to use so its getting all my love except for blood & truth.

Games wise all depends what you like i suppose. Robo Recall is good, I enjoy Drop Dead Dual Strike. Its more about the freedom for me.

27 minutes ago, Strafe said:

As a PSVR owner, is there anything for me here? It’s more powerful but games wise nothing jumped out at me.

As a previous owner of PSVR, I did love it. And would have purchased it again since moving country if I had a better space to set it up. Because I loved the software and the comfort of the headset. Also as a previous Rift user I wasn’t a fan of the tracking and the move controllers  although they got the job done (and I LOVED the AIM controller). 

What you get here here is a big leap in tracking and motion controllers, full on proper roomscale as big as the space you an find and near instant pick up and play. Literally you just pop the headset on and you are playing, it’s just a few seconds. And for the games that suit it best such as Superhot and Beat Saber it’s amazing and you are pretty much getting the best version due to freedom of movement. 

On the the downside you have a headset that isn’t as comfortable and you are missing the bigger AAA games at this point. Software wise there is nothing essential that you can’t get on PSVR and I wish I still had my PSVR as a second device as I’d love to be playing Blood and Truth right now. 

Hardware wise, it’s beautiful for what it does even though in some ways it’s underpowered in comparison to the others in other ways it is amazing and with the right software it’s a fantastic solution and I expect further improvements and some amazing software. 

TLDR: software wise, there is nothing vital that you are missing. But as an additional magical piece of portable hardware that packs up crazy small and can be played in huge spaces it would be rude not to. I think the perfect combo at the moment is PSVR and Quest. Neither require the fiddling of a PC system and PSVR has some of the bigger games and Quest has its own magic. Think of it like owning a PS4 and a Switch is a good comparison between PSVR and Quest. 

• Upvote 2

Slartibartfast has nailed it with the pick up and play nature of the device, it’s so easy to play a couple of tracks of Beat Saber while waiting for something. You can have finished a track in the time it would have taken you to boot the PS4 and get the headset on. Also I finished Moss this week, on holiday, there was no way I’d have brought my PS4 and PSVR with me.

Games wise it doesn’t have Astro Bot or Wipeout but it does have a lot of awesome games, including my top, this is really what VR is all about game, Superhot. Honestly at present if you don’t have moves and want to play Beat Saber and Superhot you are better off spending an extra 320 quid and getting a Quest. It’s also a lot bloody easier to get hold of!

• Upvote 3

That Hard S-rank you have on Escape is doing my head in @bridger. Headset keeps losing/not registering (bad workman etc.) a single red upswing giving me 1 miss and leaving me 2K off your score. It will be mine!

Been trying to visit the VRCover.com to look at the cloth face guard but getting a weird redirect to some spam page. Anyone else getting that?

Interesting news about the custom tracks for Beat Saber, although I think I’ll wait for the official release of Beat Games custom loader.

When I’m back from holiday I’m looking forward to getting into the Beat Saber high score battles (haven’t connected it to the wi-fi here so I couldn’t buy anymore games!)

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

Been trying to visit the VRCover.com to look at the cloth face guard but getting a weird redirect to some spam page. Anyone else getting that?

Just tried and it takes me to the correct website.

• Upvote 1

Yep, working again for me now. Tried it multiple times last night with the same problem. Weird.

Anyway, to celebrate another year on this rock I’ve bought Shadow Point and will be diving in later. Looking forward to some Patrick Stewart.

• Upvote 1

Anyone who’s after the official Travel Case should check out Argos as they’ve just got them into stock. 

Have just reserved one to collect from my local branch on Monday. 

• Upvote 2

I ditched my plans to get a PC and a Rift S and grabbed one of these from John Lewis yesterday after I read that they had custom Beat Saber songs working already. 

As as someone who has played a ton of PSVR, the external camera-free tracking and lack of wires feels like actual witchcraft. It’s also super impressive graphically - way better than I was expecting from a pretty old mobile chip. 

I do find it way less comfortable than PSVR though. I find it harder to keep it tilted up enough to hit the sharpness sweet spot and it feels like the straps don’t do a good job of redistributing the weight of the front of the unit. I don’t know why they didn’t copy the PSVR style halo thing, but that’s pretty much the only negative thing I have to say about it. 

I can’t wait to finish all the games I bought on PSVR but never actually finished cos setting it up was such a hassle. 

37 minutes ago, bridger said:

Anyone who’s after the official Travel Case should check out Argos as they’ve just got them into stock. 

Have just reserved one to collect from my local branch on Monday. 

I got the case from oculus direct - it’s lovely. The official headphones on the other hand are broken - no sound out of the right headphone. Opened a case with them.

Cool. I’m looking forward to finally getting somewhere to put it away properly rather than just leaving it all on the kitchen table. 

43 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

I got the case from oculus direct - it’s lovely.

How's the zip on it? The one on mine is total bobbins so I'm going to have to send the case back, but I'm wondering if I should get a refund rather than a replacement so I could buy something more robust.

1 hour ago, Ferine said:

How's the zip on it? The one on mine is total bobbins so I'm going to have to send the case back, but I'm wondering if I should get a refund rather than a replacement so I could buy something more robust.

It seemed ok - kinda unremarkable in a zippy zip zip sort of way....

2 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

I think im being paranoid - the fan on mine is running constantly, I can only hear it if I listen for it. Is that normal? 

Yeah it seems to be. I have just had a listen to mine and can definitely hear the fan as soon as I switch it on.....though like you, I have to listen for it. My hearing isn't what it once was though, thanks to years of working installing car alarms and car hi-fi. Some people on Reddit seem particularly sensitive to hearing the fans, but from everything I have read, the fans come on all the time because they have overclocked the chips quite a bit from their usual mobile phone speeds (this was apparently stated by Oculus last year)

On a separate note, is anybody here handy with 3D printing? I have this idea to buy a knackered PSVR, chop it up a little, and maybe make something with a 3D printer in order to mount this to the PSVR headband. But I've never used a 3D printer and wondered how hard it is to design and model something before printing it?

• Upvote 1

Just set my first few Beat Saber scores on Expert difficulty. Christ, just getting through them is challenge enough. Genuine flow moments though as I wasn’t consciously aware of reading the blocks, just an awkward blur of arms and somehow few enough misses to progress to the next section.

Marvellously empowering game for this old biffa.

• Upvote 2

Just picked up Orbus VR Reborn - it’s a MMORPG apparently and has decent reviews on the other systems. I hadn’t spotted it on the store before, so I’m not sure if it’s a new release. It looks quite nice in a cel-shaded kinda way. I thought it’d make a change of pace from Beat Sabre. Give me a shout if anybody wants to tackle some dungeons together :)

On 31/05/2019 at 22:35, jonamok said:

I don't know if it's the same but I bought one of these for my rift cv1 and im pretty happy with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073357KXC/ref=asc_df_B073357KXC57110714/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22146&creativeASIN=B073357KXC&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218715807545&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14583650011805005485&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007366&hvtargid=pla-430166508918

Easy to put on.  It did pop off occasionally for the first couple of weeks but it sorts itself out over time and hasn't popped off in ages.

My cv1 foam was coming off and glueing wasn't working anymore.  It's good and it's comfortable and does the job for me.

I think Superhot VR played wirelessly on this in enough roomscale space has a legitimate claim for being the best game ever. 

• Upvote 5

Sadly I returned my quest this afternoon.  The audio issues were really starting to annoy me and I tried a factory reset which then seemed to give me more screen tearing than I was getting previously and some messed up graphics in Space Pirate Trainer that only went away after a hard reset. I assume there was something faulty about the unit I had so may buy another in the future once any known niggles are sorted.

• Empathy 1

Any PSVR users in the fence should take roomscale seriously. It blew my mind when I jumped in with the Vive earlier this year.

Thumper is my favourite example. Turn camera tracking off and you end up with the rail turning static and going right through your room into eternity. You can even crawl underneath it like it's some kind of snooker table permanent room feature or something. Mind totally blown to pieces.

Add wireless to that and you're well into the future.

55 minutes ago, Flockheart said:

Sadly I returned my quest this afternoon.  The audio issues were really starting to annoy me and I tried a factory reset which then seemed to give me more screen tearing than I was getting previously and some messed up graphics in Space Pirate Trainer that only went away after a hard reset. I assume there was something faulty about the unit I had so may buy another in the future once any known niggles are sorted.

very weird. If It is a faulty unit (which it sounds like it is) then get it replaced. All launches have failure rates both major (doesn't start up) and minor (glitches like you describe).

• Upvote 1