Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

15 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Really cant work out the double clicking the side button to get pass through turning on or off - working. Seems really buggy for me... anyone else having issues?

You don't press a button, just tap the side of the headset. Presumably it uses the built-in microphone.

@metallicfrodo

@Rudderless

Spoiler question about the room. 

Spoiler

I’m in the witches house. I just got the crimson mirror which I’ve socketed next to the moon machine. I also have a crank handle. Can’t figure out for the life of me what to do next and the hints just talking about using the moon machine on the moon key. I’ve done that twice though and unlocked a couple of wall boxes. 

I assume I have to use the crank handle somehow to move the crimson mirror round the back of the moon machine (To make a bloody moon key?) but can’t figure out how to do it. 

I realise how mad that explanation would sound to a non gamer!

10 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

@metallicfrodo

@Rudderless

Spoiler question about the room. 

Hide contents

I’m in the witches house. I just got the crimson mirror which I’ve socketed next to the moon machine. I also have a crank handle. Can’t figure out for the life of me what to do next and the hints just talking about using the moon machine on the moon key. I’ve done that twice though and unlocked a couple of wall boxes. 

I assume I have to use the crank handle somehow to move the crimson mirror round the back of the moon machine (To make a bloody moon key?) but can’t figure out how to do it. 

I realise how mad that explanation would sound to a non gamer!

The crank handle goes into the side of the table near to where you socket the red mirror. Wind it so it goes all the way around the back of the box and it should shine a light through to the front. Then just put the moon key in the middle of the light.

9 minutes ago, bad_hair_day said:

Just popping in to say Lies Beneath is a cracking survival horror story on a comic book canvas, and so far the mix of jumps and varied combat has grabbed me by the ghoulies.  spacer.png

What’s the movement like? Comfortable?

Finished the room now and overall I thought it was great. Best lovecraftian atmosphere ive ever been immersed in. 

It makes me really want a Sherlock Holmes or a proper Lovecraft game. 

I see that the rift version would be playable if I got a link cable. How would you download the rift version to your PC? I couldn’t see an oculus client when I had a quick look earlier. Does that all get installed when you hook up the link cable for the first time?

No discomfort yet Yiggy. Quick turn/teleport are available, but always plump for the more natural smooth movement.

Worth mentioning no HUD to speak of either, five stages of health are indicated by the amount of blood on your gloved hands. 

Weird thing is I’m on 15 but have no option in settings to turn on the new UI. 

I have option and have turned on the pass through which works really well. 

Even weirder is that when I first checked settings before I switched on the pass through the ‘new UI’ setting was there but then it disappeared. 

I’ve had a similar thing just happen. Did a reboot and I’m back on the old dash with no option to switch.

Edit: number of people reporting this on the Oculus forums but no fix mentioned yet. I’m not too bothered, on demand pass through is the main feature for me and that is still there.

I really like the feel of PokerStars VR. Any rllmukers want to get together for a private table at all? It’s a good game of poker but it’s a gamble as to if you get a table with a few ‘all inners’ or not. Might be up for some friendly forum action. 

Also, everyone raves about using virtual desktop Vr to connect wirelessly to your PC. My understanding is that if you side load it you Can also stream steam vr games (Alyx im looking at you) wirelessly and (again from what I read) it seems to work really well. 

Has anybody tried this and does it work well? Am I right in that what you need to do is...

1. Pay for Virtual Desktop through oculus store. 

2. Install sideload on quest using your PC. 

3. Sideload Virtual Desktop onto the quest.  This allows the VR stream component to work. 

4. Fire up steam VR from virtual desktop on quest. 

Q1 - Have I got that right?

Q2 - Does it work?

Q3 - Can you play rift games bought through the oculus store using this method?

I'm now also wanting to upgrade and try link my Quest to a PC. Am I right in saying Virtual Desktop only works well if you have a good wi-fi connection? I'm still on standard broadband because fiber is still not available on my street.

If so I'm happy to get a link cable but do I need an adaptor to plug it into a PC? Any tips on the best third party cable?

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Has anybody tried this and does it work well? Am I right in that what you need to do is...

Q1 - Have I got that right?

Yeah thats pretty much it, although the virtual desktop app has a 'games' tab that lets you just pick PC games installed and jump straight in, if you load up steam VR on the desktop it doesn't recognise a headset as being connected. Both Steam VR and Oculus games appear here if I remember correctly. There's some guides and discussion in the HL:Alyx thread, you need to get the beta version and sideload for the best performance.

Q2 - Does it work?

Yes, it works pretty well if you've got a decent 5.8GHz wifi network, and it's best to have the PC wired to the router. On my setup I do notice it is a bit 'less smooth' in terms of the tracking (even on the latest beta install which is supposed to be the best). I wanted the best performance for HL:A so I went back to the cable again, but YMMV depending on your network and how much you notice the difference.

Q3 - Can you play rift games bought through the oculus store using this method?

As above, not a problem if you go through the games tab.

Just to throw in that yes, it works flawlessly. Actually less hassle than using Oculus Link in my opinion. You need a great link between your PC and headset however. 

The only issue I get is that services related to SteamVR stay open sometimes after I've closed SteamVR (services called VR Server, Steamtours, a couple of others) which causes funny problems when I get back to my PC. Like hearing the quiet sound of birdsong coming through your speakers from Steam home EVEN THOUGH STEAM IS CLOSED. But as long as I kill that from task manager it's fine.

16 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I'm now also wanting to upgrade and try link my Quest to a PC. Am I right in saying Virtual Desktop only works well if you have a good wi-fi connection? I'm still on standard broadband because fiber is still not available on my street.

If so I'm happy to get a link cable but do I need an adaptor to plug it into a PC? Any tips on the best third party cable?

Thanks!

Wi-fi connection yes, broadband no. It's all within your network, it's just using the router to send the data from the PC to the headset so the broadband speed doesn't matter, just the quality of the wi-fi signal in the house. 5GHz works best if you can choose (most new routers have both 2.4 and 5 ghz options), and it works best if your PC is connected to the router via ethernet.

Link cable is a bit easier to set up, it's just that it can get in the way.

All you need is a USB 3 port on your PC usually you'll need to use the back panel ones. 

For the cable I use - 

5m active extension-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073J92722/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3m Anker -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073J92722/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Anker isn't available just now though so others may recommend an alternative. 

That gives 8m total which is a bit overkill to be honest, but it works well and 3m limit of non-active ones isn't long enough really.

• Upvote 1

Sweated my tits off for a welcomed hour and a half of intense Beat Saber in the garden tonight. A completely perfect evening for it after the sun went down. Get out there tomorrow if you have one, the tracking requires very little light to function perfectly. Previously you might have looked a complete dick to your neighbours, but now you are viewed as remarkably well prepared for a pandemic lockdown scenario and look cool as fuck.

• Upvote 3
On 05/04/2020 at 18:57, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Had the new UI for the last few days.. and now its vanished, back to the old dashboard with no option to turn it back on....????? WTF?

Same has happened to me! Haven't done any updates but its vanished.

The suggestion seems to be there were some bugs in it and it's been pulled (I assume they are able to do this remotely as it's an experimental feature). Although I can't find any official word on this, just some posts on Reddit and the Oculus forum from other people this has happened to.

EDIT: Actually just found that this was posted in the thread about v15 on the Oculus Forum

Hey everyone - thanks for the comments on the Redesigned Universal Menu. On Friday, the team discovered an issue with this experimental feature in some regions and needed to disable it as a result. We apologize for the confusion and appreciate your patience while the team works to fix this bug and re-enable this experimental feature in the future. Thanks!

Well I got Half Life Alyx working wirelssly on the quest , I went in expecting it to be a bit shonky , but fuck me thats amazing.  If you look for it you can see a tiny latency on the hands but when you are playing you don't notice it at all.

The freedon of playing it without wires is amazing, plus being able to find a nice big spot to play in so you can walk around more.

Just stunning.

• Upvote 2

Don't know if it's account specific but just got an email telling my that there is 25% off software when buying via the app. MOBILE25.

Don't know whether to get Beat Saber, I've held off as it's not cross buy between Quest and PC but dying to play it so that's probably a bit daft.

It's worth keep checking out the Oculus store at the moment as they are doing a number of daily deals (today's is time stall for 7.99 (27%off)). They are some pretty good bundle deals at the moment as well in their spring sale. If I didn't already have Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes on PSVR I'd definitely be getting the deal they have on at the moment where it's that and The Curious Case of the Stolen Pets for 15.99.

I'm slowly making my way through Lies Beneath at the moment which I'm very impressed with. Fortunately for me there aren't too many jump scares and while it does have a very oppressive and creepy atmosphere I'm managing to get through it. I think it's very impressive graphically and the combat is a lot of fun, being able to throw axes at zombies never gets old. Having saying that I did hit a very frustrating difficulty spike that was compounded by a strange object placement considering the way picking things up in the game works.

I'll spoiler the section

Spoiler

I think it's chapter 6 when you get to a hut and get the shotgun. Basically you are then trapped inside the hut and wave after wave of enemies break in and you have to fend them off.

The issue of picking things up is that they put things close togther on tables at some points. Now the way grabbing things in the game works is that you just have to get near them and you can sort of force pull them into your hand. In general this works really well. However in this section they have put ammo on tables next to bottles (which aren't of any use to you), trying to pick up the ammo occasional results in you picking up a bottle, and as the section is very pressured this can easily lead to you dying. At one point I went to reload my weapon and rather than grabbing my weapon I picked up a statue from a nearby table, which resulted in me failing to reload in time and dying. It's very frustrating and I wonder how it got through testing to be honest (it would have worked fine if they just removed the superflous things from the tables).

On another note. Has anyone here got Orbus VR and what are you impressions of it? I'm quite tempted by it now that it's only 15 quid but I'm wondering if you'll only get the most out of it by spending your life playing it.

11 minutes ago, DUKENUKEM2UK said:

Bit of silly question but can you use the charging lead that comes with the Quest as a link cable to a pc ?

Sadly no. It’s not a high enough grade cable. It’s the official quest cable for £80 when they come back in stock or a 3rd party one and an extender if you need one for quite a bit cheaper. 

To be fair, if you’ve got the cash the official cable looks like a very good 5m quality cable that charges and connects really well. It’s just very expensive. 

Edit: Though if you mean just connecting to a PC to do sideload etc then yes it’s fine for that. No PC VR though. 

A solid alternative seems to be virtual desktop over wireless (sideloaded) so long as you have a solid network connection and a PC that is preferably cabled in. 

On 06/04/2020 at 21:54, Fatsam said:

Sweated my tits off for a welcomed hour and a half of intense Beat Saber in the garden tonight. A completely perfect evening for it after the sun went down. Get out there tomorrow if you have one, the tracking requires very little light to function perfectly. Previously you might have looked a complete dick to your neighbours, but now you are viewed as remarkably well prepared for a pandemic lockdown scenario and look cool as fuck.

Careful you don't let sunlight hit the inner lenses, it borks them apparently. Sounds fun though :)

I have one of these on order, how exciting! I’ve not really followed the topic closely, is there a recommended “things to do and get” somewhere? I’m very interested in Link (wired and wireless) but also beyond a quick go of the music game where you whack blocks with a stick (you know, the very popular one that I’ve gone blank on the name of) at work I know very little about what’s good to get. Alyx will be on the list, of course.