rllmuk
Paulando

Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

My wife secretly filmed me playing Beat Saber earlier. I can confirm that you definitely don't look anywhere near as cool as you feel. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mogster said:

My wife secretly filmed me playing Beat Saber earlier. I can confirm that you definitely don't look anywhere near as cool as you feel. 

Same, I was on the GF's Instagram story last night with a similar view of myself :)

14 hours ago, Mogster said:

I filmed myself playing it on PSVR when I initially got in and with the coloured balls on the top of the move controllers it looked like I was directing planes at the airport (didn’t even look cool enough to think I was directing x wings out of the hanger <_<)

Please add me! Oculus name is najamimam

Had this for a year but have neglected it, just getting back into it again.

On 21/05/2020 at 19:50, Freeman said:

Not used my quest for a while after scratching the lens against my glasses), but with lockdown, finally got around to looking at looking into it.

Turns out they are basically sealed and cannot be replaced, so all I can do is try to polish the scratches out.

On the flip side, I also started looking at prescription lens add ons. Some smart folk have made 3D printable frames that clip on and you can buy prescription glasses with the round frames and swap the lenses in.

Then I found these on AliExpress

Ordered 11 days ago from China, arrived today.  The plastic clips on over the existing lens, but you can take the prescription lenses off easy as they are held on by 2 magnets.

My prescription is in the 0-4 diopters range, so 36 quid delivered.

They are amazing. I can play without my glasses, no fear of scratching any more. I played a couple of Beat Saber levels, no movement, very little reflection (less than with my glasses), well worth it!

I received my set of these today, again only just over a week to get here. 

Only had a quick try so far but they seem great. 

So much so that I've ordered another set for my PSVR. 

I've got the 128gb Oculus Quest still sealed in its box. I bought it about 6 months ago and forgot about it.

I wear glasses. Can any one point to to a spacer or something so that I can still wear glasses whilst using it please?

With the previous post, are you saying that you but the frames from AliExpress but have to buy round lenses for your prescription to fit to them? 

No, they come with prescription lenses in. They message after you buy them asking for your current prescription.

They're pretty good, only £34 ish.

37 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I've got the 128gb Oculus Quest still sealed in its box. I bought it about 6 months ago and forgot about it.

I wear glasses. Can any one point to to a spacer or something so that I can still wear glasses whilst using it please?

With the previous post, are you saying that you but the frames from AliExpress but have to buy round lenses for your prescription to fit to them? 

You get a spacer with the Quest itself. However, unless you have really thick glasses you probably won’t need it. I wear glasses and don’t use the spacer - I checked, and my lenses never come close to touching the Quest’s own lenses. The disadvantage with the spacer is that it slightly reduces the already sub-optimal FOV of the headset, but use it if you want to be 100% sure you’re not going to scratch the lenses. 

Yeah I use the spacer in the box. I tried both and couldn’t notice much of a difference but my average sized glasses fit fine. No doubt prescription lenses would be the best overall option if you can be bothered. 

Interesting. I'll see how I get on with the spacer but good to know I could get actual lenses to put onto the headset.

Cheers

I have average sized glasses and during the heat of the moment playing Beat Saber, glasses spacer in place, my glasses contracted and rubbed the lens scratching both. It left a 3mm circle of scratch mark, that’s why I bought the lens adapter thing I linked from AliExpress. They are amazing, fit well, stay in place, and I can see and only £34.

On another note, I also bought some polywatch, a product for removing scratches from watches, and it worked. No more scratch mark on my lens, I’m amazed!

What sort of size are the games and stuff for the Quest? Is the 64gb version plenty of space, or is the 128gb a better option in the long run? 

Not that I can afford either. 

4 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

What sort of size are the games and stuff for the Quest? Is the 64gb version plenty of space, or is the 128gb a better option in the long run? 

Not that I can afford either. 

64Gb is more than enough felt. 

• Upvote 1

Red Matter is proving to be a decent slice of retro sci-fi spookiness so far. Some of the puzzles are maybe a bit too Crystal Maze Future Zoney to be believable, but it looks and feels great.

Sticking virtual claws on the end of the controllers is a neat little presence enhancing trick too. You're only ever controlling the buttons on your in game controls, so you're never actually holding in game items in your hands.

I've posted this in the new PC VR thread, but it's worth saying here too.

The latest Radeon Adrenalin drivers (v20.5.1) absolutely knackered the performance of my Quest using Oculus Link. Lots jerkiness and ghosting with fast moving images. Even the Link menus were jerky.

Downgrading to v20.4.2 fixed everything though.

So what are people using for a game pad for this? I picked up Tetris effect it seems lovely but I really need a game pad. Trawledthrough half of mine and I failed to get any working :(

I just use a PS4 pad plugged in via USB. Gave up  trying to get any Xbox 360 controllers working wirelessly. 

360 pads don't use Bluetooth as I recall, or the first gen X1 pads for that matter. I would have thought the newer ones would work though.

3 hours ago, Mogster said:

360 pads don't use Bluetooth as I recall, or the first gen X1 pads for that matter. I would have thought the newer ones would work though.

Aye, me too. I even bought the official MS Wireless adapter dongle thingy, but the controllers just won't sync with it. I suspect they're too old, being 1st gen 360.

360 pads had their own PC wireless adapter. I had both adapters plugged in at once, once upon a time. :D

It's my fault for believing the things I read saying that any Xbox controller will work. MASSIVE ASTERISK - only new ones.

Ah well, I'll probably get a new Xbox controller and try that. Or.. wait for the Xbox Series X version X edition X to be released and use the controller from that :)

My Go QuestVR head strap arrived yesterday. Not had a chance to fit it yet, but as a shopping experience, I wouldn't recommend it at all. I had zero communication from them when I ordered. No order confirmation, no shipping confirmation, no tracking.... nothing.

I emailed them asking if everything was ok with my order, and the same...silence. I've seen people say the guy is busy and to cut him some slack. If he is that busy, then he can afford to hire somebody to answer emails and make sure information goes out to customers. It's safe to say that if anything goes wrong with it, I can kiss my money goodbye. 

I got my paddle adapter thingee for Eleven Table Tennis at the weekend. Makes an already stunning game even better. It's comfortably the best sports sim I've ever played in terms of how much like the real thing it is.

I'm assuming that because a table tennis ball is so light that the rumble in the controller gives a good enough representation of you actually contacting the ball (in a way it wouldn't in cricket as an example).

40 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I got my paddle adapter thingee for Eleven Table Tennis at the weekend. Makes an already stunning game even better. It's comfortably the best sports sim I've ever played in terms of how much like the real thing it is.

Been tempted to buy this but as with most Quest games I'm worried I won't find a game online. 

I also have the touch of an elephant and I'm shite at table tennis. :)

15 minutes ago, Ry said:

Been tempted to buy this but as with most Quest games I'm worried I won't find a game online. 

I also have the touch of an elephant and I'm shite at table tennis. :)

Well, I used to play when I was a kid but I haven't touched a bat regularly for almost 30 years and it showed at the beginning! After nearly a month of daily practice, though, I'm finally starting to feel less shit (although my unforced error count is ridiculous). What's great about Eleven is that the AI provides a customisable, decent challenge, and there is a fantastic ball machine that you can get to set up any type of shot. You can make it send you the same ball over and over again, get it to vary the angles exactly how you want it to, or do a drill circuit of several types of shot. I've only recently started playing online but I get match challenges every couple of minutes or so, so while the community is small you will never be short of a game. You can be in the ball machine mode or playing the AI while waiting for a challenge, or you can go to the list of players, challenge them yourself, and while you wait you can still play the other modes. The online community is very friendly and the active Discord gives you another place to find friends of different skill levels who want to play.

I can't recommend the game enough, it's genuinely very good indeed and it feels uncannily close to real life. I'm absolutely sure that I would be able to go to a proper table tennis table now and give opponents a decent game. In fact, when lockdown is over I may find a club.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Well, I used to play when I was a kid but I haven't touched a bat regularly for almost 30 years and it showed at the beginning! After nearly a month of daily practice, though, I'm finally starting to feel less shit (although my unforced error count is ridiculous). What's great about Eleven is that the AI provides a customisable, decent challenge, and there is a fantastic ball machine that you can get to set up any type of shot. You can make it send you the same ball over and over again, get it to vary the angles exactly how you want it to, or do a drill circuit of several types of shot. I've only recently started playing online but I get match challenges every couple of minutes or so, so while the community is small you will never be short of a game. You can be in the ball machine mode or playing the AI while waiting for a challenge, or you can go to the list of players, challenge them yourself, and while you wait you can still play the other modes. The online community is very friendly and the active Discord gives you another place to find friends of different skill levels who want to play.

I can't recommend the game enough, it's genuinely very good indeed and it feels uncannily close to real life. I'm absolutely sure that I would be able to go to a proper table tennis table now and give opponents a decent game. In fact, when lockdown is over I may find a club.

Cheers. I will pick it up soon. Will add it to my quest backlog of games I won't play for months :)

(Everyone I turn the thing on its for 45 mins box VR then 30 mins beat sabre. Then I'm fucked)

• Upvote 2