Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

I have my Quest 1 on eBay at the moment and it's.. not going great. I'll update tomorrow, but seems like they're not going for more than about 150 on there? Quite a few not getting any bids that have higher starting prices than that anyway.

Mine sold on eBay on Sunday for 215. I had it listed as buy it now with offers and has a couple of offers of 200, then the 215.

Of course this time last week they were selling for 315. Not checked since tbh.

I’m planning to pick up a Quest 2 but probably into the new year.

4 hours ago, jonny_rat said:

I have my Quest 1 on eBay at the moment and it's.. not going great. I'll update tomorrow, but seems like they're not going for more than about 150 on there? Quite a few not getting any bids that have higher starting prices than that anyway.

I've sold quite a few games on eBay recently and the interest in the last week has taken a nosedive. I suspect people are either being careful with their money because of what's going on or have blown their budgets on PS5.

3 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Create a fake account? Not difficult to do.

We've now go to the stage where people are saying create a convincing social media fake account to allow yourself the privilege of using a consumer games platform. And if you don't do a good enough job you'll lose access to your digital library lol

Next - An officer from Steam Inc will visit your house to ensure your paperwork is in order - have your passport ready

After quite a long layoff I decided to put the ole Quest on again. Mainly because it's up for sale on Marketplace and I wanted to play it for old times sake.

What a blast. Tried Pistol Whip and Pro Plus Golf for the first time. Both excellent. Pro Plus Golf is lovely and chilled out. It feels a bit basic until you unlock Pro mode but then the guides get switched off and it becomes more challenging and addictive.

I think what frustrates me a bit about Quest though is how short a lot of the games are. I hunger for something more substantial like Resident Evil or Blood and Truth.

Edit: I hope those kind of experiences come along with Quest 2.

Sold my Oculus Quest on facebook Marketplace for £220. In some ways I'm sad to see it go but I only have to wait 20 odd days for the Q2.

Way I see it I got to play one of the most mind-blowing game systems ever invented for over a year for £180.

Question time - thinking of upgrading my rift s for a quest (since oculus seem to be dropping pc dedicated headsets).  So for those with quests who had the oculus rift or s - what sort of performance drop (if any) did you notice when using the quest via link for pc gaming (have a large pc be gaming library which is why I’m still mulling the idea over).

posted this in the main xcloud topic - you can side load the xcloud apk onto the headset and play (using a synced bluetooth controller via the experimental tab)   plays great there is a slight input lag (less than half a sec which for most games is grand - even had a drive arround on forza and it

On 22/09/2020 at 20:05, Mawdlin said:

I think what frustrates me a bit about Quest though is how short a lot of the games are. I hunger for something more substantial like Resident Evil or Blood and Truth.

Probably games you have played before, but if you are looking for a more substantial experiences then it's well worth giving Half Life and Return to Castle Wolfenstein a go. You just need to install the modded engines via sidequest and then copy over purchased version of the full games (which can be bought for peanuts on Steam).

I'm not really sure that it's about the hardware either with regards to how substantial games are, probably more a return on investment situation so I'm not sure the Quest 2 is suddenly going to games with greater scope being released, unless it sells in the 10s of millions.

Picked up a quest a week ago and have been blown away by it.  I’ve been all in since the start dk2 -cv1- rift s- quest.  

I was worried about going from a rift s to a quest as I have a large pc vr library, esp in terms of quality and performance.  But I was very wrong :-)

yes there is a slight drop in quality from a rift s to quest (pc games)  But Wi-Fi streaming works perfectly for me in the house - I’ve seen zero to so slight, it not even that noticeable latency and if anything game performance is actually far better now.

Two good examples would be half life alyx and no mans sky.  Half life alyx at the start worked great on the rift but due to the various patches,  performance became bad (known issue). Via the quest though it’s plays perfectly again.  Same with no mans sky - when using the rift headset stuffery unplayable mess - via quest i can finally play it!

I bought a cheap 3m charge cable of eBay (£4!!) not expecting it work well as a link cable but again it does with no issue.

being totally wire free is a revelation - while the weather was good the last couple of days me and my little one have been out in the garden play job simulator and beat saber - and Journey of the gods (big garden means big room scale :-) ) - much To my older neighbours prob thinking we have lost the plot.

Pavlov on quest is also excellent :-)

Will prob upgrade to a quest 2 next summer   But at the min so glad to finally have made the Leap to quest 

(ps...as an old return to wolfie / Et player  rtcw in vr is just amazing and brings back a lot of great memories)

So i was looking into alternatives and saw the HP Reverb 2 is near £700 with controllers. Fuck. 

Decided to re-look into the Facebook thing. So according to oculus you don't actually need a Facebook account until Jan 2023

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account

In essence does this mean i could use a quest 2 until 2023 (because i already have an oculus account) - complete any oculus software/games and then sell it and invest in the best non oculus option then. If i don't need to worry about the Facebook bullshit until Jan 2023 I might do that 

In order to set up a Quest 2 you need to link it with a Facebook account; an existing Oculus account won't suffice. The announcement came before that device was revealed, but this is the pertinent part:

All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

7 minutes ago, Ferine said:

In order to set up a Quest 2 you need to link it with a Facebook account; an existing Oculus account won't suffice. The announcement came before that device was revealed, but this is the pertinent part:

Thanks what I am struggling to get clarity over is if you need to have the facebook account to use it purely in portable/quest mode as opposed to on the desktop where my account is still working fine. I re-evaluated how much software I have on the Oculus store and thankfully it isn't that much - most of my investment wisely has been on Steam VR. As long as the headset can work with SteamVR even if ultimately I was locked out of my Oculus purchases for £279.00 against £689.00 (reverb g2) it is something I could stomach  

I do have a facebook account linked but it is pretty much fully private and fully blank - real name - real date of birth but zero activity/friends/posts - I'm just saying I have no clue if that account would be seen as "fake" despite all the details being genuine but being entirely closed off and empty

Could anyone provide a link to a cheap link cable? I know you don’t need the official one but obviously I’d like to spend as little as possible while getting something that still works. 

8 minutes ago, Radish said:

Could anyone provide a link to a cheap link cable? I know you don’t need the official one but obviously I’d like to spend as little as possible while getting something that still works. 

If you update your quest to the beta software updates, you can use the (USB2) charge cable that comes with the headset if the length of the cable is suitable for your purposes. It'll give you a warning, but it works fine and dandy for me.

20 minutes ago, Radish said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZIPYPY/

Oculus recommend this one as far as third party cables go. The charge cable with the Quest 2 is meant to be very short so any Q2 purchasers would need this regardless 

That's fantastic Uzi.

In summary, it looks like less SDE with the Quest 2 but to me it also looked a lot duller in colours and pop. Slightly sharper at times but not significant ?

14 minutes ago, milko said:

OLED v LCD, right? Should be better blacks on the Quest and Quest 2, but at least different (subjective) colour and contrast. 

Quest 2 is a 'Fast-switch LCD panel with 1832 x 1920 per eye'.

I think I may buy Quest 2 by the end of the year but I'm still struggling to get my head around a few things.

1) Am I right in thinking that you access the Quest store in the helmet to get games directly through the device?

2) What will the app on my phone do?

3) Where do I set up cameras like on PSVR?

4) Is Half-Life Alex on the Quest store?

5) I have Squadrons on my PC. How do I play that? (my wi-fi doesn't reach the shed so I use a connection through plugs).

6) Should I buy the more expensive higher GIG option?

7) Is there a list of VR games that work or are exclusive to Quest?

I think that's everything.

17 minutes ago, strider said:

I think I may buy Quest 2 by the end of the year but I'm still struggling to get my head around a few things.

1) Am I right in thinking that you access the Quest store in the helmet to get games directly through the device?

Yes, although you can also access the store on your PC or through the phone app and they will then install on the Quest (assuming it's on and connected to Wi-Fi)

The phone app is used to set up the device, you can also use it to buy games and modify other settings, respond to invites and messages etc. The only thing I ever use it for is casting from the device.

You don't, the whole point is that it uses inside out tracking (there are cameras on the front of the Quest)

No, it's not a Quest native game. It is available on Steam VR (it might be on the Oculus PC store but I'm not sure)

5) I have Squadrons on my PC. How do I play that? (my wi-fi doesn't reach the shed so I use a connection through plugs).

Use Oculus Link with a USB-c cable attached from your PC 

I've had the orignal and it's been fine for my usage, but YMMV, I personally don't think it's worth it for the extra cost. I've had the Quest since launch and I have had to delete games to put new ones on, but I do have a load of SideQuest stuff loaded as well.

Check out the Quest Store https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/ . Remembering that those are Quest native titles. If you use link from your PC you can play all the games on the Oculus Store as well as the games on  Steam VR that support Oculus headsets. Additionally there are other native Quest games (usually early access) that are available to sideload via SideQuest https://sidequestvr.com/.

See answers in bold

2 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

See answers in bold

Ooooh. Thanks a lot!

One additional question. What does Quest Native mean? Is that a naff term for won't run as well as the same version on your PC?

33 minutes ago, strider said:

1. Yes, but you can also get them from the Oculus app on your phone/tablet or the Oculus website on PC/Mac.

2. Helps to set the Quest up initially. Buy games anytime you like! Probs add friends (can do that through the headset too). I can't remember all the functionality, I'm afraid!

3. There are no cameras to set up. This is the USP of the Quest. It uses inside-out tracking to follow your movements and track the controllers, it's very clever.

4. No, but you can play it via Oculus Link if you've bought the game on Steam, by connecting your headset to a PC using a Link cable (available separately!).

5. See above.

6. Quest 2 games are likely to increase in size compared with the previous gen. For example, Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is going to be 12GB. You can also upload movies to watch, and music in some games (eg. modded Beat Saber). So 64GB will be OK if you're alright with moving things on and off the device, but if you can afford the extra £100, future-proof yourself.

7. Can't help you with this one, I'm afraid!