Oculus Quest - (Usernames in first post)

On 25/10/2020 at 18:52, denisb said:

Does it not remember game saves from quest 1 to 2  ? I’ve just booted moss up and it’s started from the beginning ?

Only certain games. 

Every game I have played the saves are gone. Including all my beat Sabre high scores. 

2 hours ago, simms said:

Im not trying to shit on the Quest (I've bought one) but this concerns me sometimes, as someone who's been in on PC VR from when the first VR headsets released in 2016.  PC VR game Onward, was downgraded to be graphically on parity with the Quest version.  While I understand the Quest will drive VR forwards in general, its kind of bitter sweet that graphically some PC Vr games maybe paired back for the sake of driving up VR market penetration.

oh I agree - I’ve been all in oculus pc head set since dk2, rift and rift s - but decided to move to quest because for oculus the writing is on the wall good bye dedicated pc headsets.  Now don’t get me wrong I’m can play all my oculus and steam library’s wifi streaming perfectly, but if devs see that the quest is doing better than all the other headsets then there going to start aiming there direction at the quest.  

Population one is a great example.  When I first started closed alpha tests it’s was pc headset only and they where hoping to get the game out soonish at least in early access I believe.  

Testing went on  for a few months until the devs said they were stopping testing as they were going to be focusing on quest development which meant going back to The drawing board.  It was about 9 months later that they restarted testing and while the game mechanics etc remained the same graphically it was obvious they had downgraded everything.

subtle things which may not seem much - like the blades on the big wind turbines actually rotated ( got a few good kills one night only Ito the back of one while spinning round and round - not for peeps with bad vr legs).

but I’ve a feeling this is we’re we are headed - games for quest first with pc versions given not more than a shiner lick of paint.  All because quest is the more accessible, cheaper and currently most popular headset.

13 hours ago, Ry said:

Only certain games. 

Every game I have played the saves are gone. Including all my beat Sabre high scores. 

Sidequest can do savegame transfers but it's a bit "YMMV" by all accounts.

Has anyone downloaded BMBF for custom beat Sabre songs? 

I didn't have an issue with my original quest but even though the file is in my headset its not available. 

Yep. It was a somewhat tricky beast. Where are you falling down?

First time I tried, it failed on the 'patching Beat Saber' section. So I needed a new nightly edition. Which worked.

But then later, it didn't, and I ended up sidequesting a newer stable APK onto there.

Even now, when I use Syncsaber to get my bookmarkers from Bsaber.com, it only gets about 60% of the songs.

Was gonna buy a next gen console, but after borrowing my mates quest for a week, I couldn't resist and picked up a quest 2 instead.  Blown away with it upto yet.

The ease of use just being able to pick it up and away you go without any messing about will help push it mainstream. The changes made over original quest do make it a worthy upgrade. Resolution and weight is alot better, only downside is the blacks arent quite a match for the quest 1 oled display. Other than that better in every other area. 

First game I picked up is Rez on oculus store. Wow just wow. i have brought this game on PS2, Xbox and PS4. Playing it in vr is like playing it again for the 1st time. Area x change of direction now makes sense after playing it in vr

Tried super hot demo, another fantastic game I gotta pickup. Tbh there's a fair bit on quest I wouldn't mind playing, problem is cost so will have to pace myself. Looking forward to new star wars next month to.

VR will never take over arm chair gaming, but what it does is complements it's perfectly on the side. And for those of us who have spent all those years looking for something new from gaming this is it.

More than happy to be using this for a quick blast here and there along side my pc rig and pass on the new xboxs for a while

Onward is really very good. It has a decent Training mode to ease you in and is very tense when you lean around a corner and spot an enemy. I love that you have to reload mags into weapons and pull bolts and pins to operate everything. The graphics are what I'd generously call adequate but everything works smoothly. In particular, getting back into games only takes a few seconds and I'm impressed by the support and matchmaking.

It suffers from the odd idiot but generally I've found randoms to be pretty supportive.

Much prefer it to Population: One but I need to give that game a bit more time and love.

For £18 it is a steal.

Red Matter is an excellent puzzle game with a great sense of place. Well worth picking up. What I would say is that it’s been on sale a few times so you might want to wait as it will no doubt be on sale again probably around Christmas I would guess.

If you are interested in puzzle games I really recommend Shadow Point which is also excellent, is cheaper and benefits from having Patrick Stewart as the narrator.

7 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Red Matter is an excellent puzzle game with a great sense of place. Well worth picking up. What I would say is that it’s been on sale a few times so you might want to wait as it will no doubt be on sale again probably around Christmas I would guess.

If you are interested in puzzle games I really recommend Shadow Point which is also excellent, is cheaper and benefits from having Patrick Stewart as the narrator.

Was thinking if i should wait on with black friday round the corner. Will hang on if that's the case then.  Haven't come across shadow point, sound interesting will give it a look. Saw the Room VR on the store to.  Gets good reviews, but abit pricey atm. Quest is really starting to pick up pace with its catalogue now, long may it continue :D

Yes to Shadow Point too. I never got to the end of it before my save disappeared in the migration and I've genuinely enjoyed it more second time around.

Without giving too much away the puzzle mechanic of casting shadows to unlock areas and doors is extremely clever.

Oh wow. More excellent looking puzzle games. I'll have to resist, but I really enjoyed I Expect You to Die, and I'm loving The Room. I'm just rationing the latter because I don't want it to end.

I had a strange craving to do a jigsaw last night, so I gave the Sidequest beta Puzzling Places a go. It was very chilled putting together a 3D photogrammed model. Although it required a different kind of concentration on detail which made my eyes tired after 45 mins.

2 hours ago, sbrandon111 said:

I really enjoyed Down the Rabbit Hole, although it was a bit short. 

I loved Down the Rabbit Hole, but I’m an absolute sucker for anything Alice themed. There really are so many really great games on the Quest that it’s hard to recommend things without bankrupting new purchasers! Down the Rabbit Hole is one of a whole host of games along with the likes of the aforementioned Red Matter and Shadow Quest and games like Ghost Giant and Moss that really are up there just a hair’s breadth under the heavy hitters like Superhot and Beat Saber.

Just taken delivery of a Quest 2, despite only having the Quest for a few weeks.  While you're getting a more capable unit overall, it does feel like a bit of a step back in a couple of ways.  Not having the OLED makes a difference to the blacks, of course, but generally it's worth the trade-off for the higher res.  The original Quest controllers feel better to me, the new ones being bulkier, heavier and generally feeling a little lower quality.  The decision to produce it all in 90's PC tower beige is a bit of an odd one!  Looking forward to giving it a more thorough look later, though.  Don't have any immediate issues with the strap.  I found the Quest strap made the back of my head ache a bit, so maybe the new one is actually an improvement for me!

8 minutes ago, klargon said:

I found the Quest strap made the back of my head ache a bit, so maybe the new one is actually an improvement for me!

I didn't have an issue with quest 1 strap. lt was just so front end heavy, it didn't matter what strap you had attached to it, wasn't gonna change the fact. As for quest 2 strap, it's ok but for me it keeps digging into my ears due to how I have the headset angled. 

Will end up going for elite strap eventually or wait on to see what 3rd party options are about. Anyone recommend a decent visor for quest 2 as I find foam material irritates my skin after a while. 

16 minutes ago, klargon said:

Don't have any immediate issues with the strap.

So I'm not alone thinking the supplied strap is perfectly adequate?  But then my only other headset is PSVR so I don't know how well other headsets may fit.  As it is though, I certainly don't feel the need to spunk £50 on the elite strap.

Just spent enough on the main unit as it is! That’s come out of the Series X fund, too. I’ll not be buying any accessories for quite a while. Even Anker have hiked up the price of their USB C cable to an all time high to try to fleece us!

I think I'm the only person that finds the Q2 standard strap more comfortable than the original Quest. I'm just adding that because it may not be necessary to buy an Elite at £50.

It really shouldn't matter at all, but them removing the magnetic attachment of the battery cover on the controllers has bummed me out.  I'm going to miss that particular fiddle!

Just played a bit of Pokerstars (I still haven't bought anything!) and the increase in resolution definitely makes a difference.  I think there's just generally better performance, too.  It feels a bit like the sweet spot is smaller than the Quest - I get a lot of what I presume are 'god rays' regardless of where I position the headset.  Still no issues with the standard strap.

9 hours ago, Stejay said:

So I'm not alone thinking the supplied strap is perfectly adequate?  But then my only other headset is PSVR so I don't know how well other headsets may fit.  As it is though, I certainly don't feel the need to spunk £50 on the elite strap.

Fits like a glove on me. But I also have a dreadful man bun and a giant head, which makes such things pretty comfy for me.

Don't get me wrong, if Aliexpress starts churning out Elite straps for a tenner, I'll give one a spin. But I've used this for almost two hours at a time on more than one occasion, and not even thought about it.

I’ve just played for a couple of hours with my prescription lenses from VR optician. These things are fantastic. The build quality and presentation is nice. They install in seconds, acting as a lens protector in the process. They allow me to remove the glasses spacer which gives me a wider FOV and no gap around my nose. Which means no fogging, finally. There’s a tiny bit more glare especially at the edges compared to no lenses at all, but far less than wearing glasses. The prescription itself is perfect. If you’re a glasses wearer suffering from discomfort or annoyances at all, I can wholeheartedly recommend these. They were £65 delivered from Germany which I really feel is worth the price. Whether they’ll fit a Quest 3 I don’t know yet, but the Quest 1 lenses fit the Quest 2. 

7E68ACDA-4E17-4CF9-876A-A9E3FCA06DC5.jpeg

19 hours ago, klargon said:

It really shouldn't matter at all, but them removing the magnetic attachment of the battery cover on the controllers has bummed me out.  I'm going to miss that particular fiddle!

I'm a little concerned about when it comes to changing the batteries.  I must check on YouTube because they look like completely sealed units that could end up broken unless you have the exact knack for doing it.

I played 2 player Crisis VRigade today. Oh my.

The voice comms are crystal clear (if a little loud), but coordinating our covering fire and constant squatting? Chef's kiss.

It's basically gaming as they pretended it was on shit early 00s TV shows. And it's brilliant.