Oculus Quest

Paulando

34 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

I played the demo too, back in the day. It was fun but I wasn't sure about buying it full price. Does anyone on here have the full game?

I guess it's one of those that would be much better in multiplayer but that doesn't lend itself so well to VR. 

My one issue with the Quest has always been the limited FOV, and feeling like having binoculars on. After reading about the new HP Reverb update that increases the FOV by putting your eyes closer to the lenses I wondered if that would work with the quest, turns out it does!

I took off the facial interface and tried it, and the FOV is substantially better, it gives a more rectangular FOV but it immediately was more immersive. Obviously you can’t use it with no facial interface but I did some Googling and it looks like the VR Cover facial interface with one of their slim pads gives the same effect! So I’ve ordered a kit, I’ll report back once I’ve tried it but I’m excited to get a more immersive experience!

On 11/11/2021 at 14:07, Eighthours said:

I played the demo too, back in the day. It was fun but I wasn't sure about buying it full price. Does anyone on here have the full game?

I refunded it a lot time ago after I couldn't connect with the ball in baseball. It just felt wrong.

I've been hearing good things about All-in-One Sports though. And Loco Dojo has been referred to a lot as Mario Party for VR multi.

Still thinking of picking up one of these in the future, I really wanted it for boxvr/fitxr which I have on the PSVR. But turns out recently on the quest it’s become a subscription service, even for those that previously bought it.

So is there anything similar fitness wise on quest that doesn’t have a subscription that’s worth looking at?

21 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Still thinking of picking up one of these in the future, I really wanted it for boxvr/fitxr which I have on the PSVR. But turns out recently on the quest it’s become a subscription service, even for those that previously bought it.

So is there anything similar fitness wise on quest that doesn’t have a subscription that’s worth looking at?

Are you sure? 

I ain't turned on my quest 2 in months and even then only played boxvr but I thought it was an entirely different fitness app that's a sub service now. 

1 minute ago, Ry said:

Are you sure? 

I ain't turned on my quest 2 in months and even then only played boxvr but I thought it was an entirely different fitness app that's a sub service now. 

They changed it to a subscription model, but the  old users kept all their content and didnt have to subscribe. 

I think if you get it now its subscription for everyone , but its free to download and try.

48 minutes ago, Ry said:

Are you sure? 

Lots of 1 star reviews now from existing owners saying their existing paid for content is either gone or hidden away deep down in menus and basically it’s unusable as it used to be without subscribing.

5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

Obviously you could get BoxVR on Steam and play it wirelessly. There's also the new PowerBeatsVR for Quest which isn't subscription, and Thrill of the Fight is always great exercise.

10 hours ago, schmojo said:

Obviously you could get BoxVR on Steam and play it wirelessly. There's also the new PowerBeatsVR for Quest which isn't subscription, and Thrill of the Fight is always great exercise.

Have you tried Creed and if so, how does Thrill of The Fight compare in terms of exercise? I have Creed for psvr but recently got a quest and was thinking of buying Creed again due to the lack of wires/massively better tracking etc. I've noticed that Thrill of The Fight is quite a bit cheaper. 

Does Thrill Of The Fight have training activities like Creed does, or is it just fights?

It’s a real shame they don’t bring minecraft to the quest natively.

It’s one of my guilty pleasures in vr (via air link) esp with some of the official packs like Jurassic world or the offical Star Wars one. being able to visit the movie locations in block form of coarse in vr is just just brilliant!

I bought the windows version of minecraft ages ago but the game pass version may also work in vr (you need it and the oculus minecraft app which I think is free )

6 hours ago, partious said:

Have you tried Creed and if so, how does Thrill of The Fight compare in terms of exercise? I have Creed for psvr but recently got a quest and was thinking of buying Creed again due to the lack of wires/massively better tracking etc. I've noticed that Thrill of The Fight is quite a bit cheaper. 

Does Thrill Of The Fight have training activities like Creed does, or is it just fights?

I found the Creed demo to be pretty, but a much worse experience both for boxing and fitness than ToTF. Creed feels like playing canned animations compared to the freedom of ToTF.

It has some decent training exercises - speed bag, heavy bag, opponents that can only be countered. Though if you're looking for training mini games, Knockout World League had many more. It's just more of a Punch Out game than a boxing game. Nothing touches ToTF - until a sequel with multiplayer arrives.

couple of things...

First MS flight sim has added full motion controll support for the quest controllers mean you can now use the controllers to use every button/leaver as well as to grab and use the flight stick :)

secondly Wolfenstien Enemy Territory single player mod has been released and can be loaded onto the quest (using the base DR beef RTCW mod)   as a die hard ET player back in the day being there on the maps in VR is just mind blowing (very quick vid i made) 

I bought Walkabout Mini Golf today and it's ace, well worth the £10.99 

It's totally realistic in that the ball more often than not lands against the edge. It's as frustrating at times as actual mini golf but in the privacy of your own home. 

I love the model of the course you are stood in the middle after you finish a round, makes you feel like some kind of crazy golf loving giant. 

I also love the sense of scale and verticality that you just don't get with flat games, also the fact that if you had a big enough space you could actually walk the whole course. 

I’m getting a Quest 2 for my big four O. I’ve read back about ten pages so apologies if this is one of those ‘can you still do the game pass trick’ type questions. But… as someone with very limited VR experience (the odd go in a VR arcade and 5 minutes in a mates house) is there a list of recommended titles? 

I hear people talking about ‘VR legs’ too. Should I be going in slowly? 

My recommendations below, all Quest native.

Beat Saber and Superhot VR are must haves. They are also stationary experiences so you should have no issues with motion sickness.

Pistol Whip - basically a musical John Wick simulator, again basically stationary, the world does move past you but more like you are on a travelator so again should have no poblems with that.

Rez Infinite - Just mind blowing. Original stages are on rails so less likely to trigger sickness. Could trigger motion sickness in the Infinite stage as you have complete 360 degree movement.

Resi 4 - Potential for full motion, so that could cause sickness, but also teleport is there. (I haven't personally played this as only have the original Quest but I've heard nothing but great things about it)

The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners - Potential for full motion

Other favs of mine

Tetris Effect - stationary

Red Matter - Creepy puzzle adventure game - Option for full locomotion

Shadow Point - Puzzle adventure game - Option for full locomotion

Down the Rabbit Hole - Lovely third person adventure game set in the world of Alice in Wonderland. Should have no sickness issues

Moss - Third person action adventure.

With regards to going in slowly, it will really depend on how you react. With PSVR (my first VR experience) I went straight into the full motion Infinite level of Rez and never looked back. However my wife had to take the headset off the instant the camera point moved forward in Astro Bot (third person view) as it made her want to vomit almost instantly. You'll have to see how you go. I've tried to order the list above in the order going from, should have no effect to this is what people mean when they talk about VR legs. Basically if you are playing and you start to get a headache or feel nauseated then stop straight away. Do not try to push on through as it will make you feel a lot lot worse

30 minutes ago, Chooch said:

I’m getting a Quest 2 for my big four O. I’ve read back about ten pages so apologies if this is one of those ‘can you still do the game pass trick’ type questions. But… as someone with very limited VR experience (the odd go in a VR arcade and 5 minutes in a mates house) is there a list of recommended titles? 

Robo Recall is also rather ace, and uses teleporting movement.

On 26/11/2021 at 11:15, Chooch said:

I've asked for a Quest 2 for mine! My PSVR is overheating my PS4, and I like the idea of being wire free.

My BOBOVR M2 Pro replacement head strap arrived today. It's a padded halo strap with a hot-swappable magnetic battery pack.

Comfort-wise it's a massive improvement on the default strap. Like PSVR it puts pressure on your forehead rather than your face, plus the battery pack helps to balance the weight. I found using the default strap for extended periods could leave me with a mild headache or exacerbate symptoms of motion sickness, whereas I played Saints & Sinners for about an hour earlier – a game with free movement on the stick – and felt no worse for wear afterwards.

Initial impression is that construction feels pretty sturdy. Obviously time will tell, but the extendible side bands seem like they have a good amount of flex to them so aren't as likely to crack as the official Elite Strap. The ratchetted dial on the back feels decent, too, although again I'll have to see how it holds up over time.

The mag-lock on the battery feels very secure, so I can't see it coming loose through even energetic use. The one thing I'm not sure about is if you can use the USB-C port on the battery as a passthrough for linking to a PC, and if it does work how secure that would be; the pull of a cord might dislodge the battery.

I bought mine from AliExpress (~£80 with a twinned travel case) but it does seem to be coming in and out of stock at Amazon UK for about £60 for just the strap. The Pro version is new so you'll probably be waiting on shipping from China regardless, but I'm guessing they'll eventually have local stock once demand dies down. I'd definitely recommend considering one if you're looking to upgrade to something more comfortable, especially if extended battery life appeals.

I bought Moss and it's lovely, it's got that kind of Astrobot feel to it in that the character is running around scenes in front of you. 

It's a really charming game and not one that will make you motion sick, you play sat down. 

I'm not too far in but have just got to a castle and I love the way you can stand up and move around getting different angles on a scene. 

Even after having VR for a long time I am still wowed by it and the way it does things flat screen gaming can't, the sense of scale and the immersion. 

A trailer can't really do a VR game justice but have a look anyway. 

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/1654565391314903/?utm_source=oculus&utm_medium=share

I've just started playing Resident Evil 4 and I'm loving it. I was worried going back to one of my favourite games of all time would tarnish the memories but I'm glad I took the plunge.

The closest comparison I can make, from a VR perspective, is Saints & Sinners and this trumps that game in nearly every department. I'm surprised the visuals are so crisp and atmospheric.

Although I'm still in the village area this is fabulous. I'll report a full review once finished.

On 30/11/2021 at 10:30, Mystacon said:

Agreed! Moss was the first VR title I played through to completion and I loved every minute of it. It’s a great example of how VR doesn’t just have to be about first person experiences and I wish there were more titles like it available.

There's been Ven and, I believe, Lucky's Tale on Quest, but they both look a bit shit.

As someone who's never played Astro Bot and really wants to, I hope more platformers like Moss arrive. And steal whatever Astro Bot's best ideas were.

I've asked this in ATF a while back but got zero replies so thought I would try again in here ...

Anyone got this [Quest 2] working with MS Flight Simulator?

I'm using Virtual Desktop to link my headset to my PC, which seems to work fine - I can see my desktop in VR through the headset, and control the mouse pointer with hand gestures or the Quest controllers. 

I'm using MS Flight Sim through Gamepass - when I start it, and go into options > General options> VR Mode, I see the option for Switch to VR, but when I choose that, I just get a message saying Headset not Detected. 

Which is strange, because if I look through the headset I can see that it is connected, and my desktop (showing Flight Sim in 2D mode) is there. Also the sound from Flight Sim is playing through my headset speakers. 

Anyone got this combo (Quest 2, Flight Sim on Gamepass) working together? Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

There's been Ven and, I believe, Lucky's Tale on Quest, but they both look a bit shit.

If you are looking for something along those lines then Down the Rabbit Hole is really good. If you are a fan of Alice in Wonderland then it's a must I would say.

On 30/11/2021 at 10:30, Mystacon said:

Agreed! Moss was the first VR title I played through to completion and I loved every minute of it. It’s a great example of how VR doesn’t just have to be about first person experiences and I wish there were more titles like it available.

3 hours ago, schmojo said:

As someone who's never played Astro Bot and really wants to, I hope more platformers like Moss arrive. And steal whatever Astro Bot's best ideas were.

Yep, third-person have been some of my favourite VR experiences; Astro Bot is the obvious high watermark, but Moss and Bound were also delightful. I'd love to see more games like that (and more indirect control titles - strategy and point and click titles can be a perfect fit), games which centre their level design, puzzles around the idea of the hyper-flexible but restricted viewpoint that VR can offer.