IGNORED

Oculus Quest

Paulando

29 minutes ago, scottcr said:

How do you get casting to work? I’d like to be able to cast this to a phone or tv so other people can join in (and I can help explain stuff to folks better) but I can’t get it to work.

Have you got a chromecast or have it built into your TV?  I have a gen1 chromecast and got it to work over Christmas

Resident Evil 4

I finished this at the back end of last year. Here's my review from another thread if anyone is swithering on buying it. (Do).

Easily the best narrative / adventure game native to Quest. It feels massive compared to the likes of Vader Immortal and Saints & Sinners. They've done a brilliant job converting it to VR and all the extra hands on lever pulling and gun-loading features gives you a sense of being there second to none. It's testament to how brilliant the original design was that this 16 year-old game still competes with anything else on the market right now. Little touches - such as villagers continuing to stumble towards you even though their heads have been blasted off, and being able to shoot sticks of dynamite out of their hands - makes more modern games like Arizona Sunshine feel pedestrian.

If there's one minor criticism it's that a couple of the boss fights have suffered in the conversion to VR. The leviathan fight, for instance, gives you no haptic feedback when you pierce it with spears and therefore felt a bit flat. It was also too easy. Free movement gives you too much leeway to run rings round the enemies and bar a few of the more epic pitched battles I breezed through this. (This latter criticism is probably offset by the unlocking of Professional mode once the first play through is achieved.)

9/10

23 hours ago, papalazarou said:

Yep half life (as well as opposing forces and blue shift - though only one can be installed at a time as you override the field when you put one of them on the quest). Half life is brilliant on the quest 

You can have all 3 installed if you use the lambda1VR launcher app

4 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Sorry to be utterly lazy and not do my own research, but does this run on the quest itself, or do you need to run it from the pc?

Runs on the quest itself after you’ve used any old PC with steam account to get it onto the quest

My girls went “halfers” on a Quest 2 and it arrived today. I spent an hour setting it up for them when they were at school.

I didn’t realise you could stream from PC wirelessly without downloading extra software?! I have a fair list of VR games on Steam, and the fact the girls can access them wirelessly in a different is amazing!

I got them Vacation Simulator as they’ve spent hours and hours on Job Simulator on my Rift S. Going to try out hand tracking later which looks cool. 

Lovely piece of kit, although I find my Rift S more comfortable, but not having a massive wire attached to you like you’re plugged into the Matrix is always handy!

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

How?

Mine arrives today.

I stumbled across it by accident, but here’s a wee video guide.

I tried a few games last night, Beat Saber struggled to keep up but slower paced games work perfectly.

3 hours ago, PikaStu said:

I tried a few games last night, Beat Saber struggled to keep up but slower paced games work perfectly.

Ideally you want the PC to be hard wired to the router, and only use the WiFi for the Quest 2.  That reduces the bandwidth requirements and results in a much better experience...

20 minutes ago, Steven said:

Great, isn't it?

Yeah and totally not what I was expecting! Incredibly unique.  A little fiddly in places primarily I think down to the size of the environment that you have to work in but it gets a pass for that because everything is so well done.  Looking forward to completing the last chapter tonight but well worth the asking price even if it is only a couple of hours long. Perfect for VR. 

@Mystaconand I have now had a couple of rounds of Walkabout Mini-Golf together and I think we are in agreement that it is one of the top games on the system.

It nails what it sets out to do, which is play a fantastic game of mini-golf but it's all the little details that really make it stand out, from finding the hidden balls, to having your score on your wrist, to loaming over the course at the end of a round. It's also great that it just resets your ball when it goes off the course rather than you having to run off after it as you would in RL 😄

We've played through two course, the first one, and the one set in orbit around Jupiter and both just are lovely, with really inventive hole designs and some lovely background music. I also really like the fact that all the holes are connected via walkways or stairs, you don't actually need to use them as you can just teleport straight to your ball on the next course, but it just makes the whole thing feel more realistic. Graphically it's fantastic as well, it's your classic chunky lowish poly Quest game but the art direction is so great and it feels so solid. Also the warpping directly to your ball to putt by pulling the trigger is genius.

Multiplayer is so fantastically integrated, just so simple to set up a room and invite someone in. It then beautifully takes care of the things that in real life can be a pain, such as who's go it is, placing a marker where you ball is, and obviously keeping the score. The avatars (head and hand) work really well, and it's funny watching people obviously hang their heads as they just miss the hole, or bending down to work out where a hidden ball is. All those walkways and stairs then really come into play as you can get a nice position to view other people's shots. It's also great at the end of the game how you can see the other players as other gigantic heads over the course, and then if you zoom down to the level they look like golfing Gods looking on haha.

Which is basically a long way of saying, you all need this game in your VR life.

I got seriously motion sick from Doom 3 in VR. Only that and Dirt Rally have made me ill so far.

I decided to give Pistol Whip a try, as now I can use a Quest I have more space to move about.

20 mins at lunch time and I needed to lie down! I’ve very unfit following a back operation and ongoing health issues. I think a daily session of Pistol Whip and Beat Saber is the way to go to improve things!

With the big numbers this is supposed to have done over Christmas, I'm surprised we aren't seeing people trip over themselves to announce new games and ports of old ones.

But the landscape just feels very... barren at the moment. 

I picked up Paranormal Detective: Escape from the 80s off App Lab, as I wanted an escape game. It's not very good though. I mean, it's fine but you can tell one person made it.

Been playing around with Link, Air-Link and Virtual Desktop this week - exciting stuff!

VD seems by far the best. Air-Link looks really clear but there seems to be a lot more latency than VD.

Link is wierd, I expected it to be by far the best but its really juddery and the audio often stutters. A quick google suggests this is quite common and that its an recent issue (also W11 seems worse than W10 for some reason).

Just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this and found a fix?

1 hour ago, watusi said:

Just wondering whether anyone else has experienced this and found a fix?

Bit of a shot in the dark, but I recall reading that turning off Windows' hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling option can help with certain types of stutter. You can access it easily by typing “graphics settings” into the search.

Strange that you only get it when wired, though. Maybe something to do with the USB connection?

8 hours ago, schmojo said:

With the big numbers this is supposed to have done over Christmas, I'm surprised we aren't seeing people trip over themselves to announce new games and ports of old ones.

But the landscape just feels very... barren at the moment. 

I picked up Paranormal Detective: Escape from the 80s off App Lab, as I wanted an escape game. It's not very good though. I mean, it's fine but you can tell one person made it.

I’m suspecting this year was more it branching out from the early adopter end of the market towards the mass market so the noise here was more after release/ first year.

This Xmas it has been hitting up the kids/teenagers Xmas list. My nephew got his for Xmas as did a couple of my eldest’s friends. 

And the machine that has just entered the house is predominately going to be my eldest’s (he was torn between a Switch OLEd and this and asked for the OLED, then had regret…he also got £200 Xmas money from other family members so I’ve topped it up as I rather fancied a play with one and Very had £20 off them this week).

I’ve not done much beside set it up but as a toy you can massively see the potential just from the free stuff (he’s been on rec room all afternoon since he came home from school).

How long the novelty lasts remains to be seen but it’s more scratching the Wii novel concept market I think and will sell because of that rather than the console/pc gaming demographic and the software available reflects that.

Gave hitman 3 a try in vr now it’s on pc game pass - and it feels more like a mod rather than an offical vr mode - it’s very janky and feels like it’s been tacked on - but it’s still amazing to be able to play in some of the hitman levels - so if you go in with lower expectations it’s Lot of fun.

I found it ran better for me with vd and steam vr rather than via air link 

22 hours ago, Ferine said:

Bit of a shot in the dark, but I recall reading that turning off Windows' hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling option can help with certain types of stutter. You can access it easily by typing “graphics settings” into the search.

Strange that you only get it when wired, though. Maybe something to do with the USB connection?

Cheers, tried tried and no luck. Seems to be a really common issue - think I'll stick to VD for now rather than faff around trying to fix it.

Right, I need to play my Quest 2 more as it's been gathering dust for months. I only really get to play VR quite late at night, once the living room is free and I've got some space to spread out, by which time I'm normally knackered and can't be arsed with the faff of putting it on.

I got Asgard's Wrath for free at the end of 2020. It's a Rift game so I'd have to stream it from my PC to my headset, which is another layer of faff. HLTB also reckons it's nearly 30 hours long, which sounds uncomfortably long for a VR game. Has anyone here finished it? Is it worth it? The only thing stopping me from just deleting it is the fact that it got some excellent reviews when it first came out.

Apart from that, I've got the following untouched:

Shadowpoint

Red Matter

Resi 4

Until You Fall

The Walking Dead: Saint's and Sinners

I also need to decide if I'm going to finish the single-player stuff in Beat Saber, and whether I can be bothered to get to the credits on Rez Infinite.

Can’t seem to get Air Link working at all, everything is turned on in the PC app and on the Quest. Laptop is hardwired into the router and Quest on the 5ghz Wi-Fi and I’m literally in the same room as both the laptop and the router but the headset is not seeing the PC.

Frustrating. I suspect I’ll need to get a cable anyway mind even if I get working as I rarely have much luck with streaming game content over Wi-Fi on my local network. Xcloud is only normally playable when my laptop is connected over Ethernet.

Obviously not paying the ridiculous amount for the Occulus cable so any 3rd party recommendations?

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

Can’t seem to get Air Link working at all, everything is turned on in the PC app and on the Quest. Laptop is hardwired into the router and Quest on the 5ghz Wi-Fi and I’m literally in the same room as both the laptop and the router but the headset is not seeing the PC.

Frustrating. I suspect I’ll need to get a cable anyway mind even if I get working as I rarely have much luck with streaming game content over Wi-Fi on my local network. Xcloud is only normally playable when my laptop is connected over Ethernet.

You’ve probably tried it already, but just in case, have you tried disabling Windows Firewall?