Oculus Quest

Paulando

On 19/09/2022 at 13:57, dumpster said:

I have to say, I've just had a go on the PSVR after using the Oculus for a couple of months.  It's night and day. The PSVR screen isn't as bad as I remember but you immediately notice the lower res screen, the general "not very good, these" Move controllers.  And the wires! My god the wires. They seem to be everywhere.  Room scale stuff seems impossible.  Oculus' wire free setup makes a world of difference.  The Guardian room setup makes a big difference.  The sound is amazing. Oculus kicks PSVRs arse.  

But then an hour later I've got back into Blood and Truth, Astrobot, Star Wars Squadrons, Tempest 4000 in cinemascope, Polybius, and my word... It just leaps out, the Rift needs more software support.  Resident Evil 4 is fantastic but now I've completed it there's nothing that really grabs me.  I'm impressed with Table Tennis, Walkabout Golf and a handful of tech demo style stuff...  But I see a lot of these headsets on Facebook Marketplace and they all say they haven't used it in a while and I can see that.  The hardware is amazing, but Meta need to get some more AAA class titles out there quick.

It just feels they can't be bothered for gaming. They seem more interested in this metaverse thing and the corporate side of the quest.

Since re4 I rarely use mine for gaming much. 

PS vr isn't great like you say but the games seem way better and I expect the new psvr will receive far better games than the quest will.

There is a new referral program for apps running.  It seems you can  create a referral link for an app you own, the person who uses that link gets 25% off and you get £4 store credit.  

It would probably not be a good idea for loads of people to mess up the thread with lists of all the games they own, but if someone is about to buy something, maybe they could ask on here if someone could supply them with a link?

https://www.meta.com/gb/legal/quest/app-referrals/

Clocked Moss Book 2 at the weekend. It's more of the same, but incrementally better thanks to new weapons with puzzle-centric abilities.

It's also, as far as I'm aware, the best one of these on the Quest 2. The puzzles are thoughtful and, whilst I'm sure not up to Astro Bot standards, very satisfying. Some will take a fair bit of figuring out.

Much like the first game, it suffers a little from letting things 'breathe'. Which is to say padding sections out and taking too long to get back into the action. The weapon selection mechanic is also clunky, but I suspect that's intentional.

Recommended. It's genuinely good, but I feel like we should be seeing more of these by now.

23 hours ago, schmojo said:

Recommended. It's genuinely good, but I feel like we should be seeing more of these by now.

I would love to see more, but IMO the problem is that VR is still rather a niche thing, my evidence for that being that even with the Quest being one of the best headsets out there (if not the best) adoption wasn't enough for Facebook/Meta to keep subsidizing the cost.

There are over (IIRC) 15 million Quest 2 headsets sold, which ain't far behind the PS5. Most of us are starving for quality games, so you've got to imagine even solid B and C tier games have a massive audience.

Although if I was running a studio that had a modest VR hit, I'd probably be spending too long swimming in my tank of money to make anything new. Looking at you, Fireproof Studios.

while everyone has been going nuts over bonelabs (and from what i played of it earlier its great) World flight has been the oculus game ive been looking foward to all week.  Basically its a flight sim where you can fly anywhere in the world its using by the looks of it google earth to stream its ground terain. 

its out on app labs now https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/6930867960316708/

and from the hour ive played on it ive really enjoyed it (basically a stripped down version of ms flight sim) at the min you only fly a small plane or chopter but but use full virtual controls.   Its early days but does have potential to be something rather special and def scratchs my air sim on go itch.  very quick vid i made when playing just now 

What's Bonelab all about then? It looks like it's got QWOP physics in some clips, and that doesn't sound fun.

Got the new Walkabout 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea course. It is reliably very good.

My son loves Bonelab... I found the physics quite frustrating tbh, climbing up and down a ladder was really quite difficult.  It's also strange looking down and seeing myself with lady parts.

On 24/09/2022 at 10:17, Speech said:

There is a new referral program for apps running.  It seems you can  create a referral link for an app you own, the person who uses that link gets 25% off and you get £4 store credit.  

It would probably not be a good idea for loads of people to mess up the thread with lists of all the games they own, but if someone is about to buy something, maybe they could ask on here if someone could supply them with a link?

https://www.meta.com/gb/legal/quest/app-referrals/

I’ll take a referral code for bone labs if anyone has one. 

24 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

Ms bringing cloud game pass to quest 2 https://www.protocol.com/bulletins/xbox-game-pass-quest-2

I got excited for a second there, but it sounds utterly pointless from the description there. It’s not VR games on GamePass but you can play normal games on a virtual screen like the Netflix app which I’ve never seen the point of either.

3 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I got excited for a second there, but it sounds utterly pointless from the description there. It’s not VR games on GamePass but you can play normal games on a virtual screen like the Netflix app which I’ve never seen the point of either.

It’s a step in the right direction and may pave the way for virtual exclusives in the future. I think it’s pretty cool. 

16 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It’s a step in the right direction and may pave the way for virtual exclusives in the future. I think it’s pretty cool. 

That’s exactly what it’ll be I reckon. It looks like they’re finally making moves into VR.

34 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Quest Pro announced, it’s eye wateringly expensive at £1,500. Tech looks amazing though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63200153

Between this and PSVR 2, seems like high end VR gaming is potentially coming back to prominence. That's two mainstreamish headsets announced with eye tracking (and therefore presumably foveated rendering) support, which should put demanding VR titles within the reach of people who don't have beastly PC setups (or maybe even portable devices like laptops / handhelds). Here's hoping that Valve and HTC respond with their own devices in kind. The inclusion of the Snapdragon processor and battery will push the costs up a bit for Zuck LTD, so maybe they can produce something competitive in terms of price and the rest of the featureset, despite obviously having far less resources.

The £1500 price for this makes me wonder what on earth PSVR 2 will cost, given it's actually got better tech than the Quest Pro in some regards (the resolution and frame rate are both higher for instance).

The Pico 4 looks interesting as a quest 2 rival. That Pro price, eek, it'd have to be doing some very special stuff for me to want to make the jump. Rumour has it Vive have something getting announced soon in this space as well, it's interesting times for the tech. 

I'm looking forward to trying the new tech for novelty value. But outside of AR/Mixed Reality, the Quest 2 has more or less all the capabilities I'd need for a couple more years until the new tech trickles down.

Obviously giving devs more grunt would be nice, but I'm excited for inventive experiences rather than shiny ones, and I don't think that well has even begun to be properly tapped yet. Hell, maybe interest in the more powerful devices will mean that new VR devs come up with stuff that can be adapted for the Quest 2 as well. Like a NES version of a SNES game. Or something.

Some good Quest news - Call of the Sea, a puzzle game on a lush-looking tropical island, is getting a native port. Which is exactly why I'd held off on buying the regular version.

I'm a big fan of VR but even I find the headsets stop being used after an initial window of excitement.  Facebook Marketplace is rammed with Quest 2s. You buy it for Resident Evil, play Resident Evil to completion, then the novelty wears off and you stop.  £1500.....  Wow..

£1500 is a lot, for sure. But if those external cameras are good quality, this will be the experience that Hololens promised years ago. And dramatically failed to deliver.

I'm quite interested in some of the quirkier MR applications too, like seeing different paint/wallpaper on your walls, or putting a giant virtual TV up in front of you, as if it's affixed to your living room wall. Not £1500 interested, but this is where we start to see some interesting crossover stuff.

Would be quite a thing for a next-gen Pokemon Go style experience too.

24 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

But the Quest Pro is predominantly aimed at the work space isn’t it? I can’t imagine they would have a price tag like that on a mainstream gaming device. 

Yeah that seems to be the case. It apparently has a maximum refresh rate of 90Hz so it is behind the Quest 2 in that regard. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly bought by YouTube streamers, though the professional potential is obviously compelling.

The Quest 2 was announced with 90Hz refresh rate, so I'd be very surprised if it isn't future proofed for higher levels.

21 minutes ago, schmojo said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's mostly bought by YouTube streamers, though the professional potential is obviously compelling.

The Quest 2 was announced with 90Hz refresh rate, so I'd be very surprised if it isn't future proofed for higher levels.

According to several people who had a hands on with it, the display is locked at a max 90Hz and can't actually go any higher.

So was the Quest until it was unlocked in a software update that came out a long time after the headset did. Hacks brought it in sooner, but  it wasn't the advertised standard.

The ones who had hands-on with it were unlikely to have that kind of software access, you'd imagine.

11 hours ago, schmojo said:

£1500 is a lot, for sure. But if those external cameras are good quality, this will be the experience that Hololens promised years ago. And dramatically failed to deliver.

What was so dramatic about it?

I always thought HoloLens was a proof of concept thing that looked pretty shit anyway. I can’t remember them promising anything or pushing it all that much.

Then again, maybe I just learned to ignore that kind of nonsense after Kinect.

48 minutes ago, JPL said:

What was so dramatic about it?

I always thought HoloLens was a proof of concept thing that looked pretty shit anyway. I can’t remember them promising anything or pushing it all that much.

Then again, maybe I just learned to ignore that kind of nonsense after Kinect.

That the announcement trailer looked like this, and the reality was a muddy 2"x1" rectangle in the middle of the visor. More akin to the Tiger R-Zone than what the Quest Pro can seemingly do: