Oculus Quest

Paulando

I bought direct from Oculus as their customer service was so great for me in the past. 

Separately, check this side by side comparison of Apex Construct, amazing work by the developers!  Especially given the resolution on the quest is higher than pc Rift.. 

9 hours ago, bridger said:

Looks like the 64GB model has now sold out at Amazon. 

Get those pre-orders in asap elsewhere folks if you want one for launch. 

Darn it :lol:

I have loads of Amazon vouchers to use, so I’m getting it from them, but I’m away until the end of May so I was going to order it closer to when I got back. I’ve setup an email notification to order anyway, there’s no way I’m paying £100 for some unnecessary extra storage. Sorry guys, not day one for me, but as soon as possible afterwards ^_^

So for those picking this up day one what are your thoughts on games? My list is looking like this at the moment

Definite:

Superhot VR

Beat Saber

Moss

Rec Room (as it's free it's a no brainer)

Dependent on Reviews:

Dance Central

Journey of the Gods

Vader Immortal

Dependent on pricing:

Space Pirate Trainer

Apex Construct

The first steps experience looks excellent, fantastic introduction to VR. And reallly makes use of the fact it's unteathered (just watching the bit where he walks round in a circle plugging things in is mind blowing in the freedom you are afforded). Controllers look really impressive.

I've not taken the plunge with VR yet, in fact I've never tried it in any form.  I think the wires and set up of PSVR has put me off (rather than the price). The above video has me very interested though, looks so simple and fun to use. I'm sure our family could get a few hours enjoyment from that demo alone, it looks brilliant. I think there's a place in Bristol where you can try VR so I'll have to book something for us all to give it a try first. 

Very impressive. The hand tracking accuracy and stability, and the use of grip and finger gestures, are leagues ahead of the Move controllers. If I didn’t have a PSVR and Moves I’d be all over this. No way the missus is letting another headset into the house though.

Hmmm, wonder what I can flog a 1st-Gen PSVR for...

I also wonder when we’ll get an all-in-one VR headset like this capable of running (well) something like Elite Dangerous or NMS...

I assume if you delete something off one of these you'll be able to re-download it right?

If so then I can't see any reason to go for one of the 128GB models. The game sizes are so small that you'll fit loads on 64GB regardless and if you do end up needing to delete something, with anything like a reasonable speed internet connection could get it again in next to no time. I'd rather spend some of the extra on the nice official carry case.

2 minutes ago, bridger said:

I assume if you delete something off one of these you'll be able to re-download it right?

If so then I can't see any reason to go for one of the 128GB models. The game sizes are so small that you'll fit loads on 64GB regardless and if you do end up needing to delete something, with anything like a reasonable speed internet connection could get it again in next to no time. I'd rather spend some of the extra on the nice official carry case.

I'm just concerned that maybe in a year or so's time games won't be so tiny and space becomes more of a concern. I have space issues with my 500GB PS4 as it is, though I can at least plug an external HD into that which you can't with the quest.

35 minutes ago, Flockheart said:

I'm just concerned that maybe in a year or so's time games won't be so tiny and space becomes more of a concern. I have space issues with my 500GB PS4 as it is, though I can at least plug an external HD into that which you can't with the quest.

It does have a micro sd slot tho.  Not sure if you'll be able to use it for your store games tho. 

Quick question regarding glasses and VR headsets in general. I wear glasses for normal distance stuff but for up close my vision is equally as bad with or without glasses. Would I wear glasses when using VR because I'd be focusing on what my head thinks is in the distance or not because the screens are super close to my eyes?

25 minutes ago, Flockheart said:

All the info I have read says it doesn't have a micro sd slot? :S

Oh maybe I'm mistaken, then! I though it had one for sideload / dev purposes. 

29 minutes ago, bridger said:

. Would I wear glasses when using VR because I'd be focusing on what my head thinks is in the distance or not because the screens are super close to my eyes?

Its the latter I believe. 

4 hours ago, bridger said:

Quick question regarding glasses and VR headsets in general. I wear glasses for normal distance stuff but for up close my vision is equally as bad with or without glasses. Would I wear glasses when using VR because I'd be focusing on what my head thinks is in the distance or not because the screens are super close to my eyes?

I’m no expert on optics but reports seem to vary on perceived focal length ranging from about a meter to infinity. So if you wear glasses for normal distance stuff you should wear then with a VR headset. Personally I am longsighted and wearing my reading glasses on PSVr did not noticeably affect the image I was seeing, this would correspond to something just beyond arms length for me in real life. My wife wears her contact lens everyday to correct nearsightedness and has them in when playing PSVR.

16 hours ago, Flockheart said:

Amazon have put more 64GB Quest's up for preorder if anyone was looking for one, I just ordered a one few minutes ago but still debating 128GB vs 64GB in my head!

Yeah, I noticed this yesterday so I got my order in. I’ll get it delivered to a neighbour or something.

I'm not sure how good the cameras are in that sense. They seem to only show passthrough in black and white from what I've seen (I could be completely wrong here), and are just meant to give you a resonably good view of the world around you as opposed to being decent HD cameras that you'd want for AR stuff. I'd guess they are adequate to do the motion tracking and nothing more (not saying that doesn't mean they aren't decent obviously).

I'm considering getting one, but it won't be at least until after next January due to a holiday, and also I want to see what PS5 and Xbox two offer, I'd prefer to have just one console that can do both VR and 'normal' games, but if it has exclusives I'll have to get one.