IGNORED

Oculus Quest

Paulando

On 21/05/2020 at 19:50, Freeman said:

Not used my quest for a while after scratching the lens against my glasses), but with lockdown, finally got around to looking at looking into it.

Turns out they are basically sealed and cannot be replaced, so all I can do is try to polish the scratches out.

On the flip side, I also started looking at prescription lens add ons. Some smart folk have made 3D printable frames that clip on and you can buy prescription glasses with the round frames and swap the lenses in.

Then I found these on AliExpress

Ordered 11 days ago from China, arrived today.  The plastic clips on over the existing lens, but you can take the prescription lenses off easy as they are held on by 2 magnets.

My prescription is in the 0-4 diopters range, so 36 quid delivered.

They are amazing. I can play without my glasses, no fear of scratching any more. I played a couple of Beat Saber levels, no movement, very little reflection (less than with my glasses), well worth it!

Was looking at these and can't see an option to put specific size. (I think I'm -4.25)

23 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Playing Pistol Whip while pretending you’re John Wick is pretty much the best thing ever.

Pistol Whip is legitimately incredible. Not so much when my Occulus app keeps pinging up all my scores you've beaten :D

I've found you can pair Bluetoosh headphones natively to the Quest via the Experimental features, but the lag is pretty high, rendering them useless for things like Pistol. However, Tetris Effect (as the FX is delayed anyway) is a thing of absolute wonder - great conversion. 

One thing that does concern me - has anyone else tried the new "experimental" dashboard. What an absolute shitshow of design. I love the current dash, i think it's brilliant, intuitive and clean. The new one is a horror film. I'm praying they get enough feedback to not switch, or at least give users the option between the two. 

I've just started playing Eleven Table Tennis and the physics are very, very impressive. Does anyone know how to put spin on the ball though? Is there an option? I've been trying with not much success. I do play table tennis from time to time so I can do this in the real world but not so much in the VR realm.

3 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

I've just started playing Eleven Table Tennis and the physics are very, very impressive. Does anyone know how to put spin on the ball though? Is there an option? I've been trying with not much success. I do play table tennis from time to time so I can do this in the real world but not so much in the VR realm.

Have you switched it to the Simulation physics model? You can tinker with various sliders in there to get it closer to a real world feel.

4 hours ago, Ry said:

Was looking at these and can't see an option to put specific size. (I think I'm -4.25)

I sent a message with the order (I ordered via PC, not sure about the app / mobile site) but sending a message afterwards would work too.

In the listing is a format, I just put my prescription into that format and sent it.

42 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

Have you switched it to the Simulation physics model? You can tinker with various sliders in there to get it closer to a real world feel.

Thanks, how do you switch it to simulation physics though? I've been in the options and the only one I see is paddle settings. Perhaps I just need to exaggerate my hand movements or something..? I'm not having much joy.

I think it allows you to select Advanced and Standard models? And then there's four sliders to adjust paddle feel in a Custom mode. Playing online you see people doing insane spins with the ball so it's clearly possible. I can get it to spin a bit but it is tricky.

2 hours ago, cavalcade said:

One thing that does concern me - has anyone else tried the new "experimental" dashboard. What an absolute shitshow of design. I love the current dash, i think it's brilliant, intuitive and clean. The new one is a horror film. I'm praying they get enough feedback to not switch, or at least give users the option between the two. 

Conversely, I really like the new dash, especially with pass through enabled as your ‘environment’.

Started using it as soon as it was an option and was disappointed for the short period of time it was removed initially due to a bug.

4 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Conversely, I really like the new dash, especially with pass through enabled as your ‘environment’.

Started using it as soon as it was an option and was disappointed for the short period of time it was removed initially due to a bug.

It's terrible though - its taken a clear, one layer design and turned it into some weird multidimensional horror show with windows within windows. 

Poker Stars VR is 100x better when you choose the $100/$200 tables. Less messing around with silly props, less 'All In' from everyone, and a lot more actual proper poker play. Love it.

I just completed Vader Immortal. Reviews weren't wrong about the length, that's one short game! Fun, though a little undercooked. I expect I'll play the other two episodes anyway at some point!

Eleven Table Tennis is absolutely marvellous, though I haven't yet dared face a human opponent as I can only just beat (occasionally) the Medium AI! In fact, the game is so marvellous that I'm going to buy the 3D printed paddle attachment for the controller.

The other game I need to get into is Echo VR - I enjoyed the training and the AI match I played, but now it's been a few days while I've been exploring other things, so I probably need to re-run the training and then have a run of days when I play it. Certainly seems that it could be a keeper.

Pistol Whip is such a good John Wick simulator that I have barely played Beat Saber yet.

4 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

The other game I need to get into is Echo VR - I enjoyed the training and the AI match I played, but now it's been a few days while I've been exploring other things, so I probably need to re-run the training and then have a run of days when I play it. Certainly seems that it could be a keeper.

I've actually had a lot of fun just spectating games. You can fly around as you would in game and watch and listen to the other teams play. I really enjoy it and it's a great way to learn strategies etc.

Also talking of Beat Saber the next free update is out today that adds 360 mode, or one handed mode to a number of songs.

https://uploadvr.com/beat-saber-songs-new-modes-free/

I said this about Mini Motor Racing X when it came out.

However I think I was a bit harsh on it. I’ve been playing it off and on over the past week or so and it’s great comfort gaming, it’s also a lot better once you get onto the harder championships and set the difficulty to hard. The only issue still is that driving in car is like having a win button, it becomes way too easy. Also some of the tracks have scenery that means no matter where you position the camera when not on board part of the course is obscured. It does show yellow lines to mark out the track and highlight your car when it’s obscured but not the other cars weirdly.

All in all it’s a really solid game, just it’s solid B tier, although it’s top tier graphically and for the amount of control options it gives you. Having said that I don’t regret the 18 quid I spent on it and would recommend it without hesitation if it was in a sale for 10 quid.

My Quest arrived a couple of days ago, which finally gave me the push to clear out our spare room. :D

I got the wireless Virtual Desktop streaming set up yesterday, which seems to work great, but like someone else earlier I noticed that some games just refuse to launch using it. Is there a compatibility list available anywhere?

EDIT: I just found this on the Steam forums. I'm not sure if this is definitive or not:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sfwl2JNVlMykIzMc4We1KiUzAi4VLn3fajwfybc9osk/edit#gid=1213003018

it is the best one I have found and tends to be accurate.

Some games need to load from the "games" tab which you can bring upusing the menu button on controller - others have to be started in SteamVR/Steam

I try to run everything from Games tab and then just adjust the one that fail

44 minutes ago, Mogster said:

My Quest arrived a couple of days ago, which finally gave me the push to clear out our spare room. :D

I got the wireless Virtual Desktop streaming set up yesterday, which seems to work great, but like someone else earlier I noticed that some games just refuse to launch using it. Is there a compatibility list available anywhere?

EDIT: I just found this on the Steam forums. I'm not sure if this is definitive or not:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sfwl2JNVlMykIzMc4We1KiUzAi4VLn3fajwfybc9osk/edit#gid=1213003018

Have you bought any Quest games? If so, what do you think?

45 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Have you bought any Quest games? If so, what do you think?

A bunch! I've only had a go with Pistol Whip and Vader Immortal so far though, the first being ace (and knackering), and the second being really immersive while it lasted. It did result in me punching a wall during a lightsaber fight though, which the newly cleared spare room should solve.

48 minutes ago, Clipper said:

it is the best one I have found and tends to be accurate.

Some games need to load from the "games" tab which you can bring upusing the menu button on controller - others have to be started in SteamVR/Steam

I try to run everything from Games tab and then just adjust the one that fail

Thanks. I've only tried launching Oculus store games so far, and was a bit disappointed when Rez Infinite wouldn't start. According to the list the SteamVR version works, although I'm not sure it's worth buying it again at full price just for the sake of wireless play. :D

51 minutes ago, Mogster said:

A bunch! I've only had a go with Pistol Whip and Vader Immortal so far though, the first being ace (and knackering), and the second being really immersive while it lasted. It did result in me punching a wall during a lightsaber fight though, which the newly cleared spare room should solve.

Remember that Episodes 2 and 3 are also on there, and free!

My quest arrived! Slap bang in between the two dates I got from Scan (first the 17th May, and then the 17th June :unsure:).

Slapped in some prescription lenses and had a play before it charges proper - I think I'll have to get used with the idea that the headset needs to be strapped to my head super hard to get the right focal distance, or just to have it seated on my head right. Not really sure yet - Doesn't really help with the mass of lockdown hair on my head.

Tried the stationary mode with the Superhot VR demo. Jesus Christ. I loved the original game, but having an envronment where I can tilt my fucking noggin to dodge bullets is superb, and this is with the charge cable attached and fuck all space.

The clarity of the screens is also way, way better than the Rift DK1 headsets that were floating about when I tried them at exhibitions several years ago. far less grain. although again I'll have to figure out focal distances and all that.

Next up, setting up Oculus Link. Sounds like they updated it recently that I can just use the charge cable provided to run the software, which is super cool. Guess I'll give No Man's Sky another run in VR!

1 hour ago, Siri said:

My quest arrived! Slap bang in between the two dates I got from Scan (first the 17th May, and then the 17th June :unsure:).

Slapped in some prescription lenses and had a play before it charges proper - I think I'll have to get used with the idea that the headset needs to be strapped to my head super hard to get the right focal distance, or just to have it seated on my head right. Not really sure yet - Doesn't really help with the mass of lockdown hair on my head.

Tried the stationary mode with the Superhot VR demo. Jesus Christ. I loved the original game, but having an envronment where I can tilt my fucking noggin to dodge bullets is superb, and this is with the charge cable attached and fuck all space.

The clarity of the screens is also way, way better than the Rift DK1 headsets that were floating about when I tried them at exhibitions several years ago. far less grain. although again I'll have to figure out focal distances and all that.

Next up, setting up Oculus Link. Sounds like they updated it recently that I can just use the charge cable provided to run the software, which is super cool. Guess I'll give No Man's Sky another run in VR!

Having the spacer in or out will help with focal distance (can't remember if it comes that way boxed or you add it later). Also I believe there's a physical IPD slider button under the facemask for horizontal distance, this may help if you haven't adjusted it already.

I think I'm getting there with the fit - I don't think IPD mattered as much as I thought it would, as over most measurements I wasn't having any issues with calibration at all. funny, as it was one of those measurements that scared me off ordering glasses online. I appreciate that people are sensitive to that mind.

as my glasses lenses are basically straddling my eyeballs, though, I think having the prescription adapters means the headset has to be tight to my face unless I'm missing a trick. the spacer is not pre-fitted, so I'll keep it out for the time being as more space will just make matters worse. I did also read that I should play around with the straps more so that the pressure is more on my forehead instead of my cheekbones, although I might end up getting a third party interface just to get rid of the light leak. I would have thought my nose would be massive enough to stop that shit, but I guess not!

I've noticed that there's a fair amount of blur outside of my immediate focal point, but I'm guessing that's the limitations of the unit's processing hardware itself instead of the fit. Again, though, need to mess with the pressure balance so it presses to my forehead more.

Thankfully, using Oculus Link has been relatively painless - The only thing I forgot was to install the Beta client so it ignores the USB3 requirement. Just sorting out SteamVR now, then I can get some familiar games going so I can get myself accustomed proper.

Not that I don't want to immediately jump into Beat Saber after playing the demo, because holy shit that game is fun. I just need to see if playing wirelessly via ALVR will cut it on my shitty Sky Q router. Hey, if I'm buying into VR now, I want to fucking pirouette while doing it.