5 minutes ago, strider said:

Ooooh. Thanks a lot!

One additional question. What does Quest Native mean? Is that a naff term for won't run as well as the same version on your PC?

I mean it's a specific Quest version that runs natively on the Quest. As opposed to when you are using the Quest as essentially a PC headset with the PC doing all the actual processing (via Oculus Link or Virtual Desktop). Technically it won't run as well as the PC version as it has nowhere near the processing power, but that ignores all the benefits of it being playable with just your Quest.

13 minutes ago, strider said:

Ooooh. Thanks a lot!

One additional question. What does Quest Native mean? Is that a naff term for won't run as well as the same version on your PC?

They're separate releases that run in the headset rather than via your PC (some games have cross-buy with the Rift version, but far from all). And while some don't look as nice or run as well as the PC version (particularly graphically intensive games, which can be downgraded or even not appear at all on Quest at the moment), some have bespoke Quest versions that are better. The Quest version of Superhot, for example, saw the devs redesign the game to take advantage of being able to move untethered, and it's generally reckoned to be the best version. Beat Saber and Pistol Whip's Quest versions also benefit from this untethered movement. The rather good In Death: Unchained is no longer being updated on PC at all, unlike the Quest version. Again, the game has been redesigned to take advantage of no cables, and while graphically it's inferior to the Rift version, the devs (a new team that has taken over from the original) are constantly updating it and are planning to add new content for many months yet.

In addition, many games are going to see Quest 2 graphical updates in the next few months, which will include improving the refresh rate from 72hz (the Quest 1 standard) to 90hz (which will be unlocked on Quest 2 at release), bumping up the resolution and improving graphical detail. 

Finally, the Rift has been discontinued as a product, so we can expect to see fewer Rift exclusive games (except for graphical powerhouses that you'll have to play over Oculus Link, eg. Medal of Honor), and much more going to Quest.

13 hours ago, Siri said:

If you update your quest to the beta software updates, you can use the (USB2) charge cable that comes with the headset if the length of the cable is suitable for your purposes. It'll give you a warning, but it works fine and dandy for me.

13 hours ago, Uzi said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MZIPYPY/

Oculus recommend this one as far as third party cables go. The charge cable with the Quest 2 is meant to be very short so any Q2 purchasers would need this regardless 

Great, thanks! I bought the longer one to go with the Quest 2. 

Still available at John Lewis too. 10OFF70 or 10OFF120 would get you £10 off, 20OFF120 did get you £20 off but apparently doesn't work anymore. You need to sign up for a MyJohnLewis account if you haven't already though but it's free and easy. 

I ordered one. Only managed to get the £10 off code to work, but apparently £289.99 is the point at which I give in.

I haven't owned a headset since DK2, and suspect I'll utterly rinse stuff for about 4 months before shifting it, but I'm excited.

BRING ON LOCKDOWN.

I just ordered from very.co.uk, and got a nice 10% off as a new customer. They are showing as delivery for tomorrow so will see. I wasn't going to after owning the original quest but the higher resolution and Star wars squadrons have sucked me back in! I am weak!

A couple of questions in advance of tomorrow. This is pretty much all about native experiences, since my PC is a little weedy:

1) What are the best free games and experiences?

2) Is there a good '100ft cinema screen' app that can watch Netflix and YT as well as sideloaded files? Any that can stream the files from network storage?

3) Any particularly recommended chillout/fake holiday experiences?

4) Any good shark/dinosaur experiences?

5) How's the hand tracking? Did it turn out ok?

22 minutes ago, schmojo said:

A couple of questions in advance of tomorrow. This is pretty much all about native experiences, since my PC is a little weedy:

The best free games on the Oculus Store are probably Echo VR, one of the Poker games and Rec Room (which is more a collection of games). You can get a load more games free (although they tend to be more early access) if you side load them with SideQuest. 

With regards to free experiences check out, Notes on Blindness, Traveling while Black, Home from War, The Key and Anne Frank House VR

2) Is there a good '100ft cinema screen' app that can watch Netflix and YT as well as sideloaded files? Any that can stream the files from network storage?

There is a native Netflix app which you can use and has various 'locations' to watch in. Also there is a native YT app that obviously allows you to watch all the YT VR 360/180 videos. I believe that you can watch sideloaded files directly through the Oculus Video app.

It's okay although I haven't turned it back on recently. There is a free game called Elixr that allows you to check it out.

See bolded in quote.

27 minutes ago, schmojo said:

3) Any particularly recommended chillout/fake holiday experiences?

I can't answer all of these, but:

Pokerstars VR and Echo Arena are both very good free games, and Rec Room is fun if you can bear the screaming kids. Sidequest has loads of free games and experiences, so one of your first jobs with the Quest 2 should be to look into installing that. You can browse the Sidequest store on your PC and download games from there. Some good games have run free betas from there in the past, and there's always interesting stuff to download. Don't expect even AA quality from there in the main, but the wild west of VR development is quirky and fun. Sidequest is also where you can obtain stuff like the Quest version of the original Half-Life via an app called Lambda1VR, which is amazing (while Lambda1VR itself is free, you need to also buy the Half-Life game for real on Steam and then transfer files across to your Quest to make it work).

I don't think that Netflix and YT can currently be accessed by any apps other than their official ones. I was reading today that on the Quest 2 you should currently watch Netflix via the web browser rather than the app, as there's no word on the app being updated to increase resolution, whereas the web browser version will give you the best res it can. Skybox VR is probably the best video player for Quest - it allows you to stream movie files from your PC, as well as play any video files you move onto the device itself.

Hand tracking's OK but it's not yet reliable enough for many games to support it. It continues to be developed, though, and 'Hand Physics Lab' on Sidequest is an enjoyable (and continually updated) showcase for the tech.

The two Oculus tutorials are pretty good - First Steps (think this one is part of the startup process) and First Contact.

Crisis VRigade via sidequest is an excellent Time Crisis-style shooter. Hard as nails though.

I ordered through Oculus and got a shipping email from Yodel earlier. Estimated delivery on Weds, although I'm hoping it's tomorrow as the status does say it's already at the depot.

1 hour ago, schmojo said:

Jurassic world Blue is pretty decent (VR oculus made short movie)  as for shark exeperince  Ocean rift has various sea life encounters including  being a in shark cage while a shark circles you.  If you have a pc and are planning on wifi streaming or lin cabling then the blue on steam is a great underwater vr experience 

I'm not having much luck setting up the Quest I just bought.  Had to sign in with Facebook, but Facebook wouldn't send me an auth code by either email or SMS, so I had to create a new account.  Now I want to set up a developer account so I can access SideQuest, but Oculus asks for a password.  As far as I'm aware, I don't have an Oculus password, and it doesn't accept my Facebook password.  Any idea what I'm supposed to do?

EDIT: I used reset password, even though I never set an Oculus password previously.  They really need to think about their user journeys now they force SSO, yet don't use that sign in everywhere.

Mine's coming tomorrow from John Lewis via DHL on the £270 deal. Bought the elite strap as well. Will be interesting to see what differences I can spot (apart from weight) on day one, it sounds like the biggest changes (refresh etc) are coming later?

24 minutes ago, Moz said:

Mine's coming tomorrow from John Lewis via DHL on the £270 deal. Bought the elite strap as well. Will be interesting to see what differences I can spot (apart from weight) on day one, it sounds like the biggest changes (refresh etc) are coming later?

Same - the facebook thing REALLY  put me off until I saw the price of a reverb with controllers and with a little research found it can mostly be used for desktop vr wirelessly via virtual desktop. Luckily I found out I did have an old dormant facebook account I thought I deleted but I hadn't so I just updated all the privacy settings to lock it down instead of worrying about making a new one that would be flagged as a fake or bogus one.

Sounds like it won't much imrproved over Q1 until Oculus Link comes out of beta

I'm very interested by this:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-quest-2-improvements/

8 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Ordered mine from Oculus when they were first announced and they're sending it via fucking Yodel on Wednesday inexplicably. Useless. 

Mine was the same but the status was showing it at my local depot this morning, and I've just had an email saying it's being delivered this morning. Hopefully that's going to be the same for everyone!

12 minutes ago, r1skbreak3r said:

Mine was the same but the status was showing it at my local depot this morning, and I've just had an email saying it's being delivered this morning. Hopefully that's going to be the same for everyone!

Thanks, Yodel are just the worst - had an email saying Wednesday and nothing since. Checked the tracking link this morning and it still says Wednesday. To make sure I stuck the link into their app and it's actually being delivered in an hour or so when both me and my partner will be out. Great work Yodel. 

Apologies thread, for the sparkling delivery chat. 

10 hours ago, Uzi said:

Same - the facebook thing REALLY  put me off until I saw the price of a reverb with controllers and with a little research found it can mostly be used for desktop vr wirelessly via virtual desktop. Luckily I found out I did have an old dormant facebook account I thought I deleted but I hadn't so I just updated all the privacy settings to lock it down instead of worrying about making a new one that would be flagged as a fake or bogus one.

Sounds like it won't much imrproved over Q1 until Oculus Link comes out of beta

I'm very interested by this:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-link-quest-2-improvements/

Hey guess what Uzi

”We are unable to find a match for the shipment number you have entered. We may not yet have received your parcel from your retailer.”

Meanwhile I can get same day delivery from Argos or just walk half a mile and pick one up.

I'm very glad i cancelled my preorder with Oculus. Bodes well that Argos will have my XSX delivered on launch day as well. 

Although I'm kinda worried as the order just says my house number and postcode, I'm in a newer built house and street with no street signs and a lot of deliveries get sent up the road to 'Road' rather than 'Court'. Ton of stuff has went missing in the last couple years and I'm convinced the person in the other number 11 is keeping it. 

(They seem to be using DHL, I thought they used their own delivery drivers, maybe it depends the size of the item)

• Paulando changed the title to Oculus Quest