On 15/01/2021 at 22:16, Jamie John said:

Is there a tried and tested way to prevent the goggles from misting up, especially when you haven't used the Quest for a while? It's a pain in the arse to take it all off and wipe them every five minutes, especially when you're using headphones. I think it's my body heat condensing on the cold glass.

Yep, put the headset somewhere warm, like near a radiator. Let it warm up before you use it.

On 14/01/2021 at 13:10, Ry said:

Not played my quest in months thinking of diving back in. 

Is top golf worth getting? I don't have any friends so not sure how it is in single player. Does it have online matchmaking?

TopGolf is good - I think I paid £10 in the sale. Maybe £8. It's mostly putting courses, but with some good driving range mini games too. And I found online matches easily enough. 

It's maybe my favourite way to just chat with a mate while we play. Nice and relaxed, and it feels like you're hanging out somewhere that isn't your living room.

Picked up a Fisherman's Quest, since it's a tenner.

As with many of these story-driven puzzle games, it's absorbing, charming, and not really possible in any other format. It's also pretty short at about 2 hours. 

There's also a real trope being established. From games like Unfinished Swan, Edith Finch and Rime to basically every VR puzzle game, it's always an allegory for a troubled emotional situation. Which is fine, but it doesn't have the creative impact it once did.

That said, it's a tenner and nobody's going to the cinema right now, so I can recommend it as a good piece of entertainment.

Yep, it had some very clever bits and some of the best native graphics on the Quest.

I do hope someone comes out with a more replicable collection of puzzles though. Because they're some of the most fun puzzles around. The VR ones all have the Point & Click problem of having no replay value, and the games are typically 2-4 hours long.

Tried out the GTA V mod. It's a great effort but just doesn't feel right, and the cutscenes made me a little queasy. 

What are the best racing games? I have P Cars but it's horrible with a gamepad.

9 hours ago, dave7g said:

What are the best racing games? I have P Cars but it's horrible with a gamepad.

If you can, a steering wheel is very good for VR. Expensive too, I know. VR seems very much at the sim side of driving games for whatever reason. I found Project Cars 2 a bit better with the pad, for what its worth. There's a few lo-fi arcade ones on Sidequest as well, V-speedway maybe the best, worth a look.

For PC you can still get away with something like a Logitech Driving Force EX, which should be under £15. It has low rotation, but still has force feedback and does the job. While not officially supported by modern games, it seems to work fine. Not perfect, but a cheap way to get some immersion.

On 08/01/2021 at 16:11, papalazarou said:

Dr beefs doom 3 quest version should be out in the next week or two (you need to buy the original not the BFg version on steam).  Looks great 

i assume this has to be sideloaded?  I’ve got the sideload software on my pc as I used my quest 2 for wireless gaming via virtual desktop.  I’ve never dabbled with sideloading besides setting it up for virtual desktop.  To sideload software do I have to plug in the headset to the pc using the link cable and just press install to headset or can they be installed wirelessly?  Sorry to lazy to look this up 

I'm new to sidequest too. Most games are taking me to a web page with a lonk to an apk file.  What do I do with this file? I presume I have to transfer it to the headset. But where do I put it and how do I install it?

Cheers.

4 hours ago, dave7g said:

I'm new to sidequest too. Most games are taking me to a web page with a lonk to an apk file.  What do I do with this file? I presume I have to transfer it to the headset. But where do I put it and how do I install it?

Cheers.

You need to connect the headset first to the pc with a link cable - when you start up the side quest app on your pc (download this from the side quest webpage) you will see similar layout to the web page - at the top of each game page you will see install to headset - click that and side quest will download and install automatically (all side quest stuff will shown in the unknown section on your quest ) 

46 minutes ago, Bobbi Champagne Jr said:

Yesterday I realised I could play my Xbox save for No Man's Sky through Game Pass on my PC - on the Quest 2! I need to play around with the settings a bit, but it was really impressive. Are there any more VR enabled games on Game Pass?

Tetris has now been fixed to work in VR. I don't think any others work and ones with mods (like Alien Isolation) don't work because of how Microsoft store the game files. 

3 hours ago, dave7g said:

Thanks everyone. Any recommendations for sidequest?

Crisis VRigade. Ideally with a friend. Multiplayer on that has been some of the most fun I've had, but it's very hard single player.

There's a section where me and the other player literally start lying on the floor, holding our guns up over the top of the barricade.

Also Shooting Arena and Puzzling Places.

3 hours ago, dave7g said:

Thanks everyone. Any recommendations for sidequest?

If you own them on steam then half life  r and return to castle wolfenstien are musts from side quest (you need the original pc game files)

I've been playing Alyx via virtual desktop on the Quest 2 and my mind is blown. I had gone from a PSVR headset and the difference is astounding. Room scale VR is about as close as we've come to the holodeck in real life.

Does anyone know the logic or reasoning behind Oculus issuing discount codes? It seems random but I suspect it may be down to 'lapsed gamer incentive'..?

I bought into Oculus since launch but have only ever received one (for £8).

My Quest 2 doesn't seem to be charging.  Has anyone else had this?  I can't recall now, it does have a charging light, yes?

EDIT: Ok, I tried my MacBook charging cable and that worked so I assumed the original Oculus cable must be faulty.  Checked it one more time to be sure, and it works now.  Weird, but phew!

• Paulando changed the title to Oculus Quest