Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

Mr Do 71

4 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I’ve been playing it loads, and movement, shooting, animation, and vehicles are all great. I hated Wildlands vehicle handling when I first played it, but I got used to it and could speed my vehicles around the roads no problem.

Cool, I might get give it a go. The wealth of customisations options for making the game to your liking does sound good. 

I see it has a 1080p/60fps option for Series X. Shame that’s not 1440p. 

It's all much improved since launch. I played as a sharpshooter (got to rank 12) and just love the feel of the DMR's and snipers in this. There's enough bullet drop to make 400 meter kills feel rewarding, yet you don't need trigonometry. The only time it feels janky is when you try to climb up or down steep terrain. That makes animations shit the bed still for some reason still.

Had a great moment yesterday, making my way down a hill through a wood. Came to a dirt road, and an enemy vehicle came round the bend and stopped because they saw me. I thought I was going to have a firefight with them, but I had my Rainbow Six buddies (I was playing the recent DLC) behind me. I was just about to start firing, when BOOM!, one of the Rainbow Six had fired their rocket launcher. Just a great moment, when I wasn’t expecting it at all.

• 5 weeks later...
On 24/01/2021 at 21:31, Pob said:

Cool, I might get give it a go. The wealth of customisations options for making the game to your liking does sound good. 

I see it has a 1080p/60fps option for Series X. Shame that’s not 1440p. 

Oh, this is 60fps and dynamic res up to 1440p on Series X according to the recent DF video - it might be time to give this a go, then. TBH I'd still rather MS hack in a 60fps mode for Wildlands like they just did for Watch Dogs 2.

• 2 weeks later...

After all my moaning, I bought this a couple of weeks ago and, thanks to all these 'immersive mode' modifiers, I've got to say that I'm loving it.

Now you can tweak the survival and hardcore settings to your liking, it's possible to create for yourself a really brutal and intense experience where you're a lone survivor behind enemy lines.

Rather than just being masochistic, the hardcore settings do actually make the gameplay much more involving. I've got health re-gen off, and bullet wounds frequently result serious injuries that see me hobbling into cover to patch myself up. It's properly tense bandaging your leg (which takes ages) while you hear the enemy barking about moving in, and hoping you'll be able to bring your weapon up before someone rounds the corner. When things go south, you really feel like you're in the shit.

They've added some new moves since Wildlands, such as a combat roll and being able to dive into prone when you're sprinting. These are great, but they can't be abused. Your guy has some heft and inertia so you can't constantly roly-poly out of danger. Plus, it all uses stamina.

I'm only allowed one primary weapon which means the sidearm becomes essential, plus it encourages you to scavenge enemy weapons as the situation changes. When I change magazine, I lose the remaining rounds, which adds an extra layer of decision-making. As with Wildlands, I've switched all enemy marking off, which makes a massive difference. I still have my vision modes, binocs and magic teleporting drone to gain extra awareness, but I need to juggle my use of these rather than relying on overpowered 'mark and execute' gameplay. So it's a bit like Metal Gear Solid 3 in that regard.

All this gives the game a kind of Rainbow Six Terrorist Hunt feel, where bullets are highly lethal and you need to react quickly, but on an enormous scale. I even found myself using the drone to plan my route through a base to grab a weapon blueprint, which felt like those really old RS games where you literally had to set waypoints for your team before you executed your plan.

It's fucking hard, but skill points unlock things that tip the balance in your favour. The great thing is that the difficulty can be offset by strategy and recon. This is the real potential of open, sandbox games in my opinion - planning your way to success, then being able to recover when your plans go awry. The evening just disappeared when I was playing last night. I died a lot, but there was a constant stream of memorable moments.

I even quite like the setting. It's no Bolivia, but it's like a vast Outer Heaven-style archipelago. I've turned off the annoying overhead drone patrols (another modifier the devs added recently), but the other drones add an extra level of threat. The tank-like drones and turrets even add a bit of a Deus Ex feel.

The game is nowhere near perfect - you're aways clipping through stuff, the vehicle handling ranges from okay (cars) to terrible (bikes and choppers), and the NPCs are the usual dead-eyed mannequins. But if you like solo, tactical, freeform, base-assaulting games as much as I do, there's an extremely engaging game in here.

29 minutes ago, gospvg said:

@Pob can you play the game in single-player or is it multi-player like Wildlands?

Yes single player. I played Wildlands single player as well, though. I was never keen on the squad aspect so I prefer the solo solider setup in this one. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Fancy that, I had just popped into this thread to ask about two things, one being AI!

From what I'd heard, it sounded like this (and other recent TC franchise stuff like Division) were geared heavily towards two things:

- Multiplayer co-op or solo play, not so much AI teammates

- Somewhat grindy RPG elements

Not sure if that last part affects gunplay btw? I think in The Division at least I heard the enemies get a bit overly bullet-spongey?

Last TC game I played was Ghost Recon Future Warrior (or whatever it was called) on xb360. Not open world but fairly decent 4-man ai squadmates and a lot of sync shotting and ordering around cover. Was hoping this would be a modern equivalent.

I've only played with the recently-added 'immersive mode' which totally strips out all the grindy gear stuff. There aren't any bullet sponges in that mode, except I guess for the drones (which I've hardly even come across yet) which makes sense within the fiction.

I've been playing solo and it works fine, you're just hiking across these enormous map stealthily or noisily infiltrating enemy bases. You can tweak the difficulty to whatever you want - I've dialled up all the survival elements and got it just how I like it.

It's decent.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked this up for 6.99 and it’s great. Immersive mode strips out all the ubi grind and it’s a really solid shooter. Loving the sniper rifles. Very pleasantly surprised and will get my money’s worth out it 😀

The ai teammates are actually decent as well.

• 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, bumgut said:

So I tried the free demo for ps5 and it’s quite good.

Are the AI team mates in now? 

If not when do they come in?

Thinking of getting this.

You can select them from those in-game menus. You can choose how many you want as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Why are companies like Ubisoft still even bothering with chasing BR modes? Between Fortnite, Apex and CoD WZ the mainstream market is pretty sown-up, and there are a few entries with smaller playerbases that are still popular. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Why are companies like Ubisoft still even bothering with chasing BR modes? Between Fortnite, Apex and CoD WZ the mainstream market is pretty sown-up, and there are a few entries with smaller playerbases that are still popular. 

Twas ever thus. Oh look, WoW is popular, let's do something exactly the same in a bid of taking their potential customers even though they'd rather play WoW than something worse. It's some sort of twisted corporate FOMO, and probably easier than doing something else.

I'm downloading the demo (65gb, hrmph) as it looks interesting but I'll either bounce off it hard or get totally sucked in, like with The Division. Avoided Wildlands as I heard it was very MP-focused, although this, by all accounts, is more solo-friendly - I hope this isn't just a way to get solo players to pony up anyway. I don't mind a bit of grind or monotonous missions as long as it's satisfying and fun to play.