rllmuk
gospvg

Tokaido - Has anyone played it?

Tokaido is a game that looks superb on a table but is an absolute bore to play - I can’t see how a digital version would improve it. 

Some folk however love it so what do I know. 

• Upvote 2

A friend of mine has it, and I've played it a couple of times.

It's okay. I prefer my board games on the heavier end of the complexity scale, but I'd never turn it down if someone in our group wanted to play it. Despite being about taking a lovely walk around Japan, it can get fairly cutthroat, as there can be strong competition for the limited spaces on the board. It has lovely artwork and pieces.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I've got it. 

It's nice, it's relaxing. There doesn't feel like a lot of tactics, beyond trying to do well for yourself. By that I mean you can do a bit of sabotage by landing somewhere you think someone else wants to go, but we just ended up focusing more on what we wanted to collect.

We've not played it a lot, but I think it's good just to admire the artwork, get lost in the idea of a scenic walk around old Japan. We don't always want our brains to be pushed to their tactical limit, we want to chat, snack, listen to music. 

For that I am not sure a digital version would be great, nor playing it single player, as it's more of a nice social thing. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah it’s not a complex game but I’d play it as a board game with kids before I’d play a digital version. I think the whole board game walking sim works better as a social thing than staring at more screens :)

I’d play takenoko with kids before this one though as it’s got a cute panda. 

• Upvote 1

It’s a pleasant game to play with kids. We’ve played it two or three times and I have no desire to play it again, but those times were good. It’s very atmospheric and thematic. I like the way the mechanics force you to cluster together with everyone else, and experience the same tourist sights in the same way. I see it as a satire of the tourist experience!

Love it. Me, my wife and my kid play it semi-regularly. It's a nice easy to play game, about the right length and there are a few different tactics you can chase for a win. Art style is gorgeous.

I played the phone version and thought it was shite, mind.

• Upvote 2