rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
JohnC

PlayStation gets its own movie studio

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-interactive-launches-unit-adapt-games-film-tv-1211850

Sony are launching PlayStation Productions to develop games into movies and TV shows. They reckon they can do a better job than licencing stuff to other studios who don't understand the games. I'm not sure if it will make the difference they say it will though.

The studio is being headed by Asad Qizilbash and overseen by Shawn Layden.

They couldn't get enough characters together to make a Smash Brothers knock-off that wasn't a fucking embarrassment, they're deluding themselves if they think they're sitting on the next MCU.

• Upvote 2

This worked out well for Microsoft when they did it so not really surprising Sony want in on it.

benioff and weiss’s System Update, with minor fixes to “improve the user experience”.

• Upvote 2

James Cameron’s Discover: You can easily access your preferred power options

• Upvote 4

I don't know why they're going for movies, I've said for ages that longform TV series would be a better fit for games.

A decent budgeted TV show would probably be a rounding error in most videogame budgets these days, and act as marketing.

• Empathy 1

It's possible they missed your posts about it.

There's not enough story in most games for a TV series, is there? There's barely enough for a film for most of them. The story in, say, God of War or Horizon Zero Dawn is pretty padded out so that you have enough game to play. Not sure that works in passive TV. Film makes more sense to me, especially now when you don't really have to put them in cinemas. Or very short-form TV. They have the flexibility to just make the correct length content in way neither "TV" nor cinema encourage.

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to look it up, so I'll take that at face value. But that's not really the point I think I was making. How much actual story is there? Not a lot.

3 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I don't know why they're going for movies, I've said for ages that longform TV series would be a better fit for games.

A decent budgeted TV show would probably be a rounding error in most videogame budgets these days, and act as marketing.

They’re doing both. 

They should finally let David cage make a movie just to watch it flop hard and then they can tell him to stahp. 

• Upvote 1