Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

This is the absolutely most hipster device ever devised.

Panic x Teenage Engineering x Lucas Pope x Poolsuite.fm x ad by Sandwich video.

But I'll certainly be getting one and I seem to be alone in thinking it seems insanely cheap at $179. Sure the hardware is worth $15 but it had to get designed, tested, shipped and it includes a full 'season' of games. I bet if it was $399 it'd still sell the hell out.

Then again, the video only has 50,000 views, so maybe it really is an uber niche audience... But it feels like every 40+ year old gamer will want one. And there are a LOT of us.

It doesn't look very ergonomic and I've yet to see a game that does anything interesting. A device with a mono screen could look great if it was really high res and low dot pitch (like an ePaper screen), as things like Obra Dinn demonstrate well, but this is extremely low res. A jog wheel or free spinning dial would be massively more versatile than an awkward and imprecise crank.

If it made use of its portability (even in relatively gimmicky ways like streetpass or Labo) that would be more interesting, but again I've not seen any games that treat it as being functionally much different to something like Pico-8, except with Z and X remapped to crank clockwise or counterclockwise.

I think it comes down to the fact that it wasn't designed around making specific games possible, like Nintendo's hardware is. It's a solution looking for a problem.

I'm probably going to buy one anyway at some point aren't I

22 minutes ago, MK-1601 said:

I think it comes down to the fact that it wasn't designed around making specific games possible, like Nintendo's hardware is.

*laughs in Wii U and 3DS*

45 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Anyone coming in here to announce they don’t get it/what’s the point etc. Just an FYI, all you’re doing is making it stronger. 

I'm going to buy one and do nothing but browse this thread on it in bright sunlight using the crank as a scroll wheel. 

9 hours ago, Ry said:

"High resolution acreen" Then shows 320x240

"Does it have a back light?" - "No but the screen is super reflective!" 

What the fuck? 

If I'm going to play a handheld in my spare time/traveling  then why the fuck would I pick this over my Rg351V and a million great games?

And that price? Ha! Good luck to them though. 

It's probably not for you.

4 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Anyone coming in here to announce they don’t get it/what’s the point etc. Just an FYI: all you’re doing is making it stronger. 

They’re all on the wind-up. A bunch of cranks!

6 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

I think it comes down to the fact that it wasn't designed around making specific games possible, like Nintendo's hardware is. It's a solution looking for a problem.

Was this ever the case with Nintendo's consoles? The design history of the DS, Wii, WiiU, Switch, and so on is that they came up with what they thought would be an interesting hardware idea first, and the games came later.

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Was this ever the case with Nintendo's consoles? The design history of the DS, Wii, WiiU, Switch, and so on is that they came up with what they thought would be an interesting hardware idea first, and the games came later.

I think you have to go *just* a little further back for an example. The Nintendo 64 pad was designed with Super Mario 64 in mind. But yeah, there's not hundreds of them. 

3 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I think you have to go *just* a little further back for an example. The Nintendo 64 pad was designed with Super Mario 64 in mind. But yeah, there's not hundreds of them. 

Even with the N64, it's not like they made the decision to use an analogue stick, its big hardware feature, in order to make Mario possible. They picked it to make 3D games possible. Otherwise they wouldn't have spent hundreds of hours greyboxing until they had a good version of Mario for an analogue stick.

Edit - For instance:

https://archive.org/details/nextgen-issue-014/page/n39/mode/2up

This looks so curated and quirky. I’ll be trying to get one. I’m currently on a massive Gameboy binge so this really appeals.

I’m interested to hear about the limitations on the games. The surfing one almost looks 3D, but it would be cool if they have deliberately held it back to increase creativity.

The name isn’t great though

Interesting idea, cringe video, the build up to the stereo dock major feature being a able to hold a pencil was like a parody. Waaay too over priced. Should be looking at £100, I don’t see the £170 worth of tech in this thing. I’d definitely be surprised if this lasts a year.

This would be absolutely huge, a worldwide phenomenon, if it was £50 and available in mass quantity.  I think you have to keep it away from comparisons to consoles. It's not the new Gameboy, it's the new Tamagochi.  

£179, manufactured in small batches?  Don't see how it can possibly survive if I'm being honest. 

I really love the idea of seasons of games - there’s intrinsic hype and excitement built into that model, which is appealing for the consumer. I think they’ve smartly identified a new way of consuming games that makes sense in the Netflix era and which potentially works for a lot of time-poor people in a way that 60-hour open world Sony exclusives don’t.

The games are necessarily simple, so a one-person operation can put together a complete game in a short space of time and then have that submitted and published all through Panic’s App Store (for want of a better term), which is great for developers who value getting their creations out there as quickly and easily as possible - division of profit not withstanding, and it would be interesting to hear what their model is. 

That’s a great combination in theory - it does remain to be seen if either/both sides get on board in sufficient numbers to make it viable in the longer term, but it’s definitely an exciting piece of hardware sold with the kind of positivity and confidence that is necessary to encourage people to do so. 

I don’t think EA will be signing up any time soon, but they’ve definitely got something. I’m getting big Switch energy from the hardware - really fresh and fun with lots of potential. 

18 minutes ago, dumpster said:

This would be absolutely huge, a worldwide phenomenon, if it was £50 and available in mass quantity.  I think you have to keep it away from comparisons to consoles. It's not the new Gameboy, it's the new Tamagochi.  

£179, manufactured in small batches?  Don't see how it can possibly survive if I'm being honest. 

They want to manufacture 20,000 this year - I think for what they are trying to achieve here, it will be fine.