Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

I didn't want one until I saw that Super Skidmarks-type game, but I have to admit that looks pretty cool. I'm still not going to buy one - I never play any of the handhelds I have already, and would rather get a series X or a PS5 - but man, it does look nice. I'm glad it exists.

8 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

It looks like something that belongs in a happy meal. 

Yeah but once you hold a TE and see one in person its a different story. Not sure how much TE has in input besides from the obvious design aesthetics but the stuff they produce is "fun".

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

The only thing that really concerns me about the machine (being pricier than I'd like aside) is the non-user-replaceable battery, which is a bit crummy. The crank looking eminently breakable is also a concern, but the hardwired battery is a guaranteed point of eventual failure for it, which is a shame.

I asked them about this by email a while back, and they say they’re using a pretty common commodity battery and that it’s user-serviceable.

That's good to hear; their breakdown graphic of the machine made it look like it wouldn't be particularly friendly to people not used to taking apart their own electronics, but hopefully it's either non-representative or the heat-shrink-wrapped, directly-wired battery is less of a hassle to switch than it looks (at the very least I'm assuming now that the wires aren't soldered to the board, as that would really be pushing 'user-servicable' to its limits):

1313169334_PlaydateBreakdown.thumb.png.d7c0e4a896ad824d51630c6015703220.png

2 hours ago, matt! said:

Playdate is made in Malaysia at a factory recommended and previously used by Teenage Engineering (not sure when or how)

Ho hum. Fuck 'em so. Glad I never invested on that basis and kept using my other 36 music devices, *sigh*

2 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I feel like I want one just in case they turn out rare and the value skyrockets in the future. 

I reckon they're hoping people think this way because it's not worth the asking price to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

I reckon they're hoping people think this way because it's not worth the asking price to be honest.

Is it though, people said the same thing for the OP-1 and that thing has skyrocketed, much of the stuff they do sells out fast and still have good resell value. They're not selling snake oil, they do have a good reputation for making solid products. The price is high, but not absurd for the stuff they do.

Why do people think that a really nicely designed niche product that comes with at least 24 games from a small enthusiastic company is too expensive at £160? 

Because its small and the games look really simple, though we have no idea what the games are like and a number of devs so far have suggested that there's a good deal of depth and longevity to some of them. 

Clearly they don't want or expect it to be mass market. It's going to be niche and they are pricing it appropriately. 

I really hope it gets some the ongoing support their enthusiasm deserves. Bravo you mad bastards. 

4 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Why do people think that a really nicely designed niche product that comes with at least 24 games from a small enthusiastic company is too expensive at £160? 

Because its small and the games look really simple, though we have no idea what the games are like and a number of devs so far have suggested that there's a good deal of depth and longevity to some of them. 

Clearly they don't want or expect it to be mass market. It's going to be niche and they are pricing it appropriately. 

I really hope it gets some the ongoing support their enthusiasm deserves. Bravo you mad bastards. 

Its going to sell like hot cakes.

35 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Well, partly because it's likely to be over £200 for one thing.

I can imagine there’ll be some limitations/rules on how games use combinations of D-pad, A/B buttons and the crank, as all 3 at once would seem to require 3 hands or some major dexterity.

Patting head/rubbing tummy simulator maybe?

At the same time as all this indie love... You could spend that £200 and buy 50+ indie titles that are reviewed, amazing and have each all had probably more development time than he Playdate games combined.

The only thing that's keeping me from buying this is the distribution of the games. I'd rather this be ala cart rather then the now standard Netflix bobbins of getting games psuhed to me and ready to play at any time. 9 times out of ten it means I just wind up with a pile of shame I never play.

But, I love seeing the spirit of people like Gunpei Yokoi & Satoru Okada being continued outside of Nintendo. The black and white screen, the silly handle, the accessoires. It all oozes a genuine love for the roots of handheld gaming. Lovely.

I wish these people the best and hope they get all the succes.