IGNORED

Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

@matt! Perhaps a Paperboy clone for your next project? Crank to cycle forward, back to brake, left right to stear down / up to jump / throw papers ;)

That's a cool idea! My plate is full but I hope somebody does this.

My favourite part of Paperboy was the assault course at the end!

4 hours ago, Retroid said:

At the same time as all this indie love... You could spend that £200 and buy 50+ indie titles that are reviewed, amazing and have each all had probably more development time than he Playdate games combined.

You could also invest the £200 sensibly in stocks, get a nice return and not waste your time with video games in the first place, but it’s not the point is it?

Teenage Engineering have some annoying practices like selling overpriced cases for Pocket Operators that should come with the bloody thing, but their stuff is generally pretty neat. I imagine this will be similar. 

If I could be bothered with the hassle of importing one I'd be tempted. Get the Downwell guy to make a game and we'll talk.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

That's nice to see, they had a question about that in the preorder survey a while back.

Pre-Brexit 'a while back'?

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

$180 + 22.5% VAT+duty is £160.

Missing the shipping cost that needs to be added to the actual cost before working out duty and VAT.

33 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Missing the shipping cost that needs to be added to the actual cost before working out duty and VAT.

Sure, but I don’t know the shipping cost, and because the duty and VAT are just multiples of the value (unless the shipping is several hundred dollars and moves it in to a new duty bracket) you can just multiply that separately by 1.225.

Although if shipping << article price, you can basically skip calculating its contribution to the duty and still end up with basically the same number.

• 1 month later...

Eurogamer's hands on confirms some of my concerns about the controls:

The point is there is more than a whiff of style over substance to the Playdate. In terms of simply using it, for instance, it is not the most comfortable thing in the world. You can tell that from looking at it because it's small and almost two-dimensionally thin. I was expecting as much and that's just fine, but the buttons themselves aren't actually very comfortable. Both the D-pad and face buttons are solid plastic and there's an oddly firm click to pressing them, which means games that have lots of dialogue text or require you to press A repeatedly, like point-and-click-style adventure Saturday Edition, get mildly uncomfortable, quite fast. It's minor but it is noticeable - the actual A and B of my A and B buttons were also, I think, just ever so slightly printed off-centre, as well, which I think annoyed me more than them being uncomfortable to press because this console is all about being a delight to look at, above all, and little imperfections like that can grate. At the same time, although this is the "final hardware" version of the Playdate it is still a pre-release one, so some benefit of the doubt should be reserved for this sort of thing.

There's also a slight creakiness to it, especially near the top of the console. The body is entirely plastic, which surprised me - I was expecting some kind of metal, given the premium pitching of it - and that makes it feel incredibly light. It's an odd thing to dislike in a handheld, as most of the time you obviously want them to be as light as possible to carry around, but there's a difference between light, and lightweight, and the Playdate leans slightly towards the latter. All of these are small things of course, too. Build quality is by no means bad - it works well and nothing feels like it's going to break, despite some games being quite demanding on the old crank - just, maybe not as spot-on as you might have expected.

I was on the fence, but I’m off it into the no camp now. I know it’s vastly different in games, interface and vibe, but the Steam Deck has caught my eye now and I’m rather excited about that. Sorry Playdate.

I'm still in at the moment, but I do think I may cancel if I don't get in the first batch. Part of the appeal of the machine is the steady release schedule with everyone dropping on the new game at once. I'm not all that optimistic this thing will be around for years. 

11 minutes ago, Jolly said:

I'm still in at the moment, but I do think I may cancel if I don't get in the first batch. Part of the appeal of the machine is the steady release schedule with everyone dropping on the new game at once. I'm not all that optimistic this thing will be around for years. 

I think that's where I am with this. I'm in if I can get on release day

As well as them saying it’s a bit physically underwhelming and uncomfortable to play (oh dear), of the four games EG played, one was good, three were not, and one of those gave him motion sickness. Shame.

I'm not too concerned about the quality of the four games (in that I expect curios, and the occasional diamond in the rough rather than a schedule of all killer, no filler; and am largely interested in the device for my own homebrew purposes), but the description of the Playdate's actual build quality — particularly the overly clicky d-pad and buttons — is disappointing. That is making me think twice about getting one.

34 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

There are a lot of alternative previews up, it seems most tech related sites got them. Ars Technica's preview is glowing (it seems like the author really went to town with it for a few months), and it includes a lot of photos:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/07/playdate-preview-you-wont-believe-how-fun-this-dorky-179-game-system-is/

That sounds spot on to me. I’ve got a 512gb Steam Deck pre-order, but this sounds way more interesting.