Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I appreciate EG giving us a “buyer’s remorse” take (I will be sad if the buttons are misprinted on mine) but it does seem like Ars put a lot more effort in to assessing it.

You may see a picture of the d-pad and fear the worst, since it opts for a curved-edge aesthetic, but worry not. This thing is so clicky and responsive that it supports comfortable quarter-circle rolls, while it's big enough to easily manage taps limited to the edges should you want to play a precise piece-dropping puzzler like Tetris.

I'm disappointed that Panic opted to put its B and A buttons on a straight line, as opposed to a thumb-friendly angle, and they're a bit too distanced to be comfortable when holding one button while tapping the other (à la "B to run, A to jump"). They're arguably arranged to encourage "one-button" games, but I have held the system and pretended like I was playing a classic Neo-Geo Pocket fighting game. I could imagine that working fine enough on the Playdate in a pinch.

:sherlock:

So the Playdate gets away with a smooth, rubberized finish like the exterior of a vinyl toy. 

Sigh. These surfaces always break down and go sticky after a few years. Had to disassemble my DVDO Edge earlier this year and scrub the rubberised coating off with isopropyl alcohol.

I'm not sure where that quote is from, but I have a developer preview Playdate and it definitely does not have a rubberised coating.

It's a matt finish textured plastic. Feels like a vinyl toy, not the back of an old remote control. 

3 hours ago, matt! said:

I'm not sure where that quote is from, but I have a developer preview Playdate and it definitely does not have a rubberised coating.

It's a matt finish textured plastic. Feels like a vinyl toy, not the back of an old remote control. 

Any thoughts having used one for a while?

Yet everything I've played on the Playdate has been accessible, amusing, and unique, and getting four games at once has distributed the fun factor around in a way that I really appreciate. Two of the games are built with replayability in mind—one as a score chaser, the other as a puzzle-minded platformer with speedrunning potential. The other two titles are more linear but focus less on challenge and more on atmosphere; these show what developers can do within a wimpy system's limits to deliver their own comfortable, unique games on black-and-white hardware.

Im loving it. IFGO. 

Fantastic. Thanks. 

Is the game your developing due to be in one of the subsequent game sets? Or does it not work like that and you just submit it and see what they want to do with it? Sounds exciting to develop for which much be part of its charm. 

19 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I did the maths and after shipping, VAT and duty, the $199 console+cover bundle should still come in a bit under £199. Really tempted.

They’ve already confirmed it’ll be £170 all in.

Edit: oh, and cover. That’s a damn expensive cover.

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The cover is only $30 before the bundle discount, maybe it’s cheaper in GBP than I’m assuming?

Edit - Where is the UK price?

The cover is $20 if bought with the console. I think most will go for the console with cover as I don't see Hori making any cases anytime soon!

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The cover is only $30 before the bundle discount, maybe it’s cheaper in GBP than I’m assuming?

Edit - Where is the UK price?

One of the Panic guys posted the £170 for it without the cover a while back - can’t find it now.

I was just going through the emails Panic have sent about the preorder and there doesn’t appear to be a specific link, I guess we’re just expecting the link to go live at 6pm tomorrow on the homepage?

2 minutes ago, schmojo said:

This looks awkward to hold in every clip I've seen so far.

agree, for games on Dpad & buttons it looks too small and too thin to grip then the second the crank comes into play you are literally twisting the device and moving it in your hands, which must make it harder to focus on the screen as its moving

9 hours ago, Popo said:

I was just going through the emails Panic have sent about the preorder and there doesn’t appear to be a specific link, I guess we’re just expecting the link to go live at 6pm tomorrow on the homepage?

Yes, https://play.date have a link to the order page and they will be tweeting a link too.

7 hours ago, schmojo said:

This looks awkward to hold in every clip I've seen so far.

IMHO it's not. Of course, it's different to hold than any other handheld because it's new and unique.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

agree, for games on Dpad & buttons it looks too small and too thin to grip then the second the crank comes into play you are literally twisting the device and moving it in your hands, which must make it harder to focus on the screen as its moving

Here's my pre-production unit next to my GBA SP. The d-pad and buttons are almost identical in size, slightly different in layout. That said, if you hated the GBA SP you might be out of luck here.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Could take a video or two if it would help.

IMG_2597.jpg

7 minutes ago, matt! said:

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Could take a video or two if it would help.

Thanks!

The thing that worried me the most about the Eurogamer piece was the creakiness they mentioned when using it, sounded like it had a bit of play to the case and made the build quality sound bad. Does yours do that at all?

That article also said it felt lightweight, what does it feel to you? How much does it weigh in at? Oddly the Edge article described it as something like "surprisingly weighty" in the hand so I'm wondering if the build materials have changed significantly.