Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

They’re being quite apologetic on Twitter - the international orders used a plug-in from a their international shipping provider which broke, and they say they’re going to see what they can do.

Edit - I’m irrationally treating this as being up £200. :lol: 

They'd have to ramp up production to give the people who lost orders 2021 Playdates without taking away from people who got them in, and isn't there a parts shortage getting in the way of that?

Or I suppose they could retrospectively only allow one per order to free up stock. Two per order did seem an odd choice and not very anti scalper.

Be nice if they can come up with something cleverer than me though. I'd give it another shot if I could get in at first season start, seems a bit pointless otherwise.

50 minutes ago, Big Swifty said:

They'd have to ramp up production to give the people who lost orders 2021 Playdates without taking away from people who got them in, and isn't there a parts shortage getting in the way of that?

Or I suppose they could retrospectively only allow one per order to free up stock. Two per order did seem an odd choice and not very anti scalper.

Be nice if they can come up with something cleverer than me though. I'd give it another shot if I could get in at first season start, seems a bit pointless otherwise.

They probably need the cash from the first round of orders to fund the production of the next round. 

In a way I am kind of glad my order wouldn't go through, I'd talked myself out of it last night but impulse buy and fomo took over and well now I've cooled off the idea again so their international order mess up was a blessing ... right 😄

I got one in the 2022 batch, but I'm not really feeling it now and wondering if I should cancel. It feels like a lot of the fun of this will be the regular drip feed of games, not knowing what to expect, and spending a bit of time focusing on each one as it comes out. If it arrives with the full season I'm much more likely to just give them all a superficial go before moving on to the next thing.

By default it’ll start with the games locked and unlock them progressively week by week even if they’re all out already on other devices, but it will be missing the community aspect.

Once they have a decent number out there I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a season 2 at a modest price which we can all follow together more linearly.

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Oh that’s not really appealing, I may as well wait and see what the impressions are from the first batch.

I’m feeling this.

Really wanted one but it’s a premium price to pay and a big part of the appeal is surely the sense of shared surprise and discovery as the games unlock each week.

Plus, there’s no knowing when the first 2022 batch will ship. If it’s more than 3 months after launch then there may already be units on the second hand market from people who have played through the entire first season and have had their fill. 

Disappointed to miss out but I’ll probably still get one eventually. In the meantime, I’m looking forward to the feedback in here. 

EDIT: fuck it, Team 2022

Edited by gratuitous sax
IFGO

8 hours ago, Alex W. said:

By default it’ll start with the games locked and unlock them progressively week by week even if they’re all out already on other devices, but it will be missing the community aspect.

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit happier about the whole thing. Especially if they release the whole 2022 batch at the same time, us 2022ers can have our own thread where we pretend that 2021 never happened.

Makes me a little less grumpy about a 2022 one too. Not ordered one yet as they won't sell out* and I'll just have to wait, when it does come I could enjoy the experience in my own bubble. How I gather impressions of the 2021s without spoiling those first games will be tricky though.

*I'm not quite sure how exactly this will be the case. Taken to it's extreme if the whole world has one will they really make one just for me? There must be a minimum production run.

4 hours ago, Chthonic Boom said:

Thanks, that makes me feel a bit happier about the whole thing. Especially if they release the whole 2022 batch at the same time, us 2022ers can have our own thread where we pretend that 2021 never happened.

If Season 2 comes early 2022 the majority of people will have received their devices by then, so the community aspect of everybody receiving the games at the same time will be able to happen as originally planned. 

I don't know why they don't extended season one into an autumn and spring collection.

The season was originally going to be 12 and then doubled to 24, so spread those releases out and it gives everyone more weeks of surprises.

Personally, with my game waiting to be released post-Season 1, I'm happy they didn't do that :) 

I think Season 1 (at 12 weeks or 3 months long) will take us to the end of this year at least, maybe even into early next year.

Well they could overlap with season two. There is clearly quite a few more than 20,000 people who want to be part of this from day one, and there are a few options available to keep the community together. After all - this will only help with the longer term support.