Playdate-A new handheld console thingy

bear

16 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

When do we actually get it again? I;ve forgotten I've ordered this SOOOOO many times 😛

Depends on your shipping group. 

If you have already ordered a Playdate, you can view your shipping group number by visiting https://play.date/orders/

Here is the current estimated shipping timeline:

Group #1 (~1 to 10,000) Early 2022

Group #2 (~10,000 to 20,000) Early 2022

Group #3 (~20,000 to 30,000) 2022 (Second Half)

Group #4 (~30,000 to 40,000) 2022 (Second Half)

Group #5 (~40,000 to 50,000) 2022 (Late Second Half)

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

I like the subtle hint at co-op mowing adventures at the end!

It's a bugfeature.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like Playdates are finally being shipped in the next few weeks

Itshappening.gif

Anyone seen any (none Season One) games? There's currently no central shop for them.

Found this list on itch

https://itch.io/c/2393691/playdate-games

Bloom looks like the only commercial offering.

https://rngpartygames.itch.io/bloom

There's been loads of independent projects on Twitter but nothing looks finish, hopefully that will change when people get the console.

It looks like I might be in the first batch, so long since i ordered I couldn’t remember. If nothing else this will be an interesting curiosity.

did they charge cards when pre-order was placed or when shipping? I can’t recall or find anything on this.

12 minutes ago, watusi said:

It looks like I might be in the first batch, so long since i ordered I couldn’t remember. If nothing else this will be an interesting curiosity.

did they charge cards when pre-order was placed or when shipping? I can’t recall or find anything on this.

You've already paid! From the order email:1585984407_Screenshot2022-04-03at07_59_08.thumb.png.f29f206bd9d39468df6008d1cba31f91.png

Apparently my order is in the 22k realm, so I'll probably be waiting until 2024 or something.

Did anyone here pre-order one of these and now wish that they'd got a Steam Deck?

I did the opposite - pre-ordered the Steam Deck, as it didn't need up-front payment - but now I'm wishing I'd got a Playdate. No slight on the Steam Deck: it looks great, I just can't see any situation where I'd get much use out of it.

My Steam Deck order is Q2, so it's probably coming up soon. If you fancy doing a part-exchange for an early Playdate pre-order, DM me.

(It's the 256GB one, forgot to mention that)

Edited by Lochenvar
added model details

2 hours ago, Lochenvar said:

Did anyone here pre-order one of these and now wish that they'd got a Steam Deck?

Some of us ordered both ;)

2 hours ago, Lochenvar said:

I did the opposite - pre-ordered the Steam Deck, as it didn't need up-front payment - but now I'm wishing I'd got a Playdate. No slight on the Steam Deck: it looks great, I just can't see any situation where I'd get much use out of it.

My Steam Deck order is Q2, so it's probably coming up soon. If you fancy doing a part-exchange for an early Playdate pre-order, DM me.

I might be up for that. Which deck did you pre-order?

6 hours ago, Lochenvar said:

Heh, me too! I forgot about the Playdate and missed it completely. And I’ve no real interest at all in the Steamdeck.

My Steamdeck pre-order is only Q3, so much less appealing. But if anyone has a pre-order they’d like to swap for a 512gb Steamdeck pre-order let me know.

This one from Giles Goddard spoke more to me, about the Playdate dev kit:

“We have PlayStation 5 dev kits, Oculus dev kits, and all these other dev kits, and by far the most fun ... is this one.”

Maybe - I guess it’s whatever he thinks makes it more fun. Although he probably just thinks that the Playdate is more fun to play games on than PS5, Oculus and every other current platform.